Maasdam docking in Sydney in December

BJzink

I am checking out hotels in Sydney for my 28 night cruise on Maasdam beginning 12/23/19.  I am assuming the ship will dock in Darling Harbour, but I believe that there is another harbor in Sydney.  Any clues as to how I can find this out?  Thanks

There is no accommodation near White Bay Terminal.  It depends on when you arrive in Sydney. Hotels near The Rocks, Circular Quay or Darling Harbour are the most popular as they are close to attractions.  No matter where you stay you will need to get a taxi the White Bay on embarkation day.

O’ yes, White Bay it is. Of course it’s near nothing but a residential area that complains to the city if the ship does any announcements on the Promenade deck.  When we were there in March, the Captain said he would be fined $7,500 if he did.

15 hours ago, dillpickle48 said:

There is no accommodation near White Bay Terminal.  It depends on when you arrive in Sydney. Hotels near The Rocks, Circular Quay or Darling Harbour are the most popular as they are close to attractions.  No matter where you stay you will need to get a taxi the White Bay on embarkation day.

I have booked a room at the Hyatt Regency Sydney Hotel - will have to take a taxi from the airport and to the terminal.  But should be quite a bit less than what HAL is charging for it.  Thank you for the information. 

We used the HAL transfer service by bus to White Bay A$24 pp & returned from ocean Terminal to airport for the same price.

it was cheaper that a taxi or Uber  for two .

a well kept secret as HAL does not advertise it. We purchased thru our agent who knew about this service.

https://youtu.be/9InwcX1SoaU

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/21/2019 at 2:36 PM, BJzink said:

I am checking out hotels in Sydney for my 28 night cruise on Maasdam beginning 12/23/19.  I am assuming the ship will dock in Darling Harbour, but I believe that there is another harbor in Sydney.  Any clues as to how I can find this out?  Thanks

Hi,

I am also booked on this cruise and the one that follows it. 

In case you are looking for the roll call for this cruise it is not listed in the normal location on CC. 

You can find it here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2667360-maasdam-december-23-2019-southern-australia-cruise/page/2/

We are on this cruise on BTB. Yes the ship docks a White Bay. We are staying at the Russel before we board in October. It is at the Rocks which across from the Opera House. Very Very convenient  The hotel is very cool Very old Australian Hotel. Breakfast is included. Warning Sydney can be expensive. We are coming in 4 days early. If you want something more American there are tons of options in the area. 

I will be staying at the Hyatt Regency both before and after my cruise on the Maasdam on the 3rd December. I am using the Redy2Go (www.redy2go.com.au) shuttle both to and from the airport as well as from the Hotel to the ship.

I am travelling alone so the cost of AUD$22 each way from the airport and AUD$15 to the ship is very good value. If there are more than 2 then it may be better to take a Taxi. The web site is very easy to use and the info is easy to find, they also have private cars as well.

They give a discount if you are doing a return trip, for the airport it was AUD$41.80 return.

Hope this is of some help to you.

5 hours ago, TTFromSommersTown said:

I will be staying at the Hyatt Regency both before and after my cruise on the Maasdam on the 3rd December. I am using the Redy2Go (www.redy2go.com.au) shuttle both to and from the airport as well as from the Hotel to the ship.

I am travelling alone so the cost of AUD$22 each way from the airport and AUD$15 to the ship is very good value. If there are more than 2 then it may be better to take a Taxi. The web site is very easy to use and the info is easy to find, they also have private cars as well.

They give a discount if you are doing a return trip, for the airport it was AUD$41.80 return.

Hope this is of some help to you.

I am also staying at the Hyatt Regency - booked a room for $116 vs HAL charge of $509 - figured I should be able to get transfers for a lot less than $400.00 (approx. difference).  I  also travel alone, and a little wary of taxis in foreign countries who do not necessarily speak English.  But, I thought most Aussies would be able to communicate!  I have already booked my return with HAL, have had good luck with this in the past.  

I will definitely check on the website you recommended for the pre-cruise transfers. Do they accept credit cards?   Thanks for this information. 

You pay at the time of booking on the web site with a credit card. There is a small additional charge of up to 3% to use a credit card in Australia and New Zealand, they do not charge it on debit cards. This includes hotels, restaurants etc.

I think that you can also arrange the shuttle when you arrive at the airport at their kiosks near the arrivals section.

There is contact info on the web site if you need any clarification.

• 3 weeks later...

You could be lucky and have it dock at Circular Quay  we are the Maasdam on Nov 15 on. New Guinea cruise and we leave from Circular Quay. But on return dock at White Bay 

well that the info right now 

a shuttle from the airport is a long trip only because they make so many stops But if you like to see a little and have the time by all means ,,,, a Taxi will have you there in 20 mins 

should not be more then Au$45 ..... enjoy our country while your here ....if you have a spare day by a day pass on our transport system Busses Ferries Trains  not of the cost but worth every cent ....from Circular Quay take a ferry to Manly and and return via Watson’s  Bay  and have their famous fish and chips right on the wharf .....

G’Day from Oz