Atlantic storm Dorian

PelicanBill

OK folks, a little levity to add to this forum.  This is your trusty reporter, o2bonn aboard the spinning top known as the Carnival Sunshine.   We just keep circling ....

Item 1:  Based on the APB passed out last night, 2 bags of a passenger were lost and still have not been found.  A room to room search is probably in the works ...

Item2:  the “Boats and Hoes” Bachelorette group continues to cut a sleazy, drunk swath through the “Serenity” area of the ship.  Fun note, most of them are married but what happens on a Bachelorette cruise stays on ... Facebook and the Ship’s video.

😎😎😎😎

Edited by o2bonn
  • Like 3
  • Haha 6

As you have been seeing the forecast has moved the track well east with a turn to the north coming right out of the Bahamas.  The center of the storm would not make landfall until far north in the Carolinas with this change.  There can still be hurricane force winds ashore, all the way up the coast, but not devasting winds.  There could still be significant storm surge and beach erosion and damage to beachfront homes.

Freeport, Abaco and Grand Bahama Is. are all still in serious danger.

Cruise ports appear to remain in operation through Sunday.  

We certainly have to see what happens with each new update from the NHC. We've gone the full cycle of worry on this already and we have 2 days yet.

• Like 2

You have to wonder about the hassles that so many cruise lines went through to make re-schedules that, in hindsight (which is always 20-20) weren't necessary.  For, instance, my brother was supposed to be on the Harmony of the Seas out of Port Canaveral on Sunday.  RCI re-scheduled that to begin on Wednesday making a 10-day cruise for those already on the ship and a 4-day for his cruise.

Now, it appears that Sunday will be just fine as there are three ships in port today (Saturday) and tomorrow should also be OK.  But, Wednesday may now be a problem!  Now, if I were onboard currently, I'd have no problem with staying on those extra days although it has never happened to us.  But, some people need to get home, make flights or have other commitments which cannot be met onboard or in Cozumel.

I know that RCI and the other lines were making what they thought were the best decisions with the information that they had at the time and they cannot be faulted for that.  Yet, the cost to the cruise lines (not crying too much for them) must be quite high along with the anxiety and frustration of many passengers.

I would imagine that they build these costs into their operating budget and we end up paying for it each time that we cruise one way or another?

Edited by ricka47
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Raiderguy8 said:

All of this time we have been wondering if we would be able to get out of Charleston.  With the latest forecast I am now starting to wonder if we will be able to get back in on the morning of the 8th.  If Dorian stays off of the coast of Florida as some are predicting:

image.png.5819f24fa91f61629a2b6dfc129e16ba.png

Charleston appears to be almost a direct hit Thursday morning.  Will we be able to get back in and what shape will the port and the city be in when we do get in?  This has been the craziest week watching all of the twists and turns.  Seems like just yesterday it was thought that the Hispaniola mountains would tear Dorian apart....

We are more concerned about our car sitting at the port all week.  I think at this point were gluing to park at the airport and uber in to the port.  

28 minutes ago, ricka47 said:

You have to wonder about the hassles that so many cruise lines went through to make re-schedules that, in hindsight (which is always 20-20) weren't necessary.  For, instance, my brother was supposed to be on the Harmony of the Seas out of Port Canaveral on Sunday.  RCI re-scheduled that to begin on Wednesday making a 10-day cruise for those already on the ship and a 4-day for his cruise.

Now, it appears that Sunday will be just fine as there are three ships in port today (Saturday) and tomorrow should also be OK.  But, Wednesday may now be a problem!  Now, if I were onboard currently, I'd have no problem with staying on those extra days although it has never happened to us.  But, some people need to get home, make flights or have other commitments which cannot be met onboard or in Cozumel.

I know that RCI and the other lines were making what they thought were the best decisions with the information that they had at the time and they cannot be faulted for that.  Yet, the cost to the cruise lines (not crying too much for them) must be quite high along with the anxiety and frustration of many passengers.

I would imagine that they build these costs into their operating budget and we end up paying for it each time that we cruise one way or another?

Does the cruise line insurance cove this?  All these cruise lines do carry ins.

It must be hard for the staff and crew when this happens.  Extending a cruise does not make all PAX happy.  And the staff and crew also have to deal with that too.

Main thing is that they are all safe.

PelicanBill,

I been try to find the answer to this question, and can't.  Maybe you can help me out?  I know the velocity of the wind increases with height.  What is the  increase in velocity of the wind as you go up in a high rise building?

By the way, being your screen name is Pelican, have you eaten at the Pelican Grill by the lake?

Edited by geocruiser

14 minutes ago, buckeyefrank said:

We are more concerned about our car sitting at the port all week.  I think at this point were gluing to park at the airport and uber in to the port.  

I don't blame you worrying about your car.  During Sandy the care  at the pier in Brooklyn got flooded.  Of course, they were parked at the pier at ground level.

The so-called "experts" really dropped the ball on this one, and we're not finished yet.

It started out with there being too much wind shear and African dust for this disturbance to ever make it to a hurricane.

Then Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic would tear it up.

Tracks all over the place.

I live in Florida and should be used to this.  

What I should remember is an old time forecaster who was on TV when I first moved to Florida 23 years ago.  He said  five days before to find the spot where the forecasters said it was going to hit   Go there.  It's the safest spot.  Seems that's still trued today.

Edited by mafig
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, mafig said:

The so-called "experts" really dropped the ball on this one, and we're not finished yet.

It started out with there being too much wind shear and African dust for this disturbance to ever make it to a hurricane.

Tracks all over the place.

I live in Florida and should be used to this.  

What I should remember is an old time forecaster who was on TV when I first moved to Florida 23 years ago.  He said  five days before to find the spot where the forecasters said it was going to hit   Go there.  It's the safest spot.  Seems that's still trued today.

Yup, the "H" was right over the house yesterday which made me happy!  I knew we would be good.

This is really unnerving.  We moved from Miami 4 years ago to Hilton Head Island, South Carolina.  We're getting tired of having to evacuate inland every September and October.  Last year, we evacuated to central Georgia.  Year before, we evacuated to north of Columbia, SC.  In 2016, we evacuated to Macon, Ga.  This year it looks like we'll just get off the island and go inland as far as we can on Wednesday.  We have a travel trailer so we're free to go anywhere but this is getting to be a real pain in the .....

We're supposed to be flying to Seattle to get on an Alaska cruise on Sept 15 but if we have a lot of damage, that may not be a good idea.  Then again, we may say it can wait till we get back........what do do.......

8 minutes ago, Diver2014 said:

This is really unnerving.  We moved from Miami 4 years ago to Hilton Head Island, South Carolina.  We're getting tired of having to evacuate inland every September and October.  Last year, we evacuated to central Georgia.  Year before, we evacuated to north of Columbia, SC.  In 2016, we evacuated to Macon, Ga.  This year it looks like we'll just get off the island and go inland as far as we can on Wednesday.  We have a travel trailer so we're free to go anywhere but this is getting to be a real pain in the .....

We're supposed to be flying to Seattle to get on an Alaska cruise on Sept 15 but if we have a lot of damage, that may not be a good idea.  Then again, we may say it can wait till we get back........what do do.......

We're south of you on Amelia Island (was in FLL for Andrew) and have a hotel booked Tuesday and Wednesday nights in Georgia west of I95.  My guess (and it's just that) from looking at some of the newer models that Dorian may be further off our coast than Matthew and we won't need to leave.  Of course, 12 -24 hours from now, that could all change.

2 hours ago, ricka47 said:

It is a large storm and the Atlantic side of Florida is still going to feel at minimum tropical storm force winds.  The Orlando airport is closing Monday.  The barrier islands in Brevard County (where Port Canaveral is) were just issued mandatory evacuation orders by the BCSO starting Sunday morning.  

23 minutes ago, Diver2014 said:

I wish you the best.  I am still watching Fl.    Our home is across the street from the beach.  I just want it to go out to sea away from any land.

2 minutes ago, ducklite said:

It is a large storm and the Atlantic side of Florida is still going to feel at minimum tropical storm force winds.  The Orlando airport is closing Monday.  The barrier islands in Brevard County (where Port Canaveral is) were just issued mandatory evacuation orders by the BCSO starting Sunday morning.  

So, it wouldn't be likely that they could even get employees to the port to load/unload and all of the other work needed to turn the ship around for another cruise.

5 minutes ago, ricka47 said:

We're south of you on Amelia Island (was in FLL for Andrew) and have a hotel booked Tuesday and Wednesday nights in Georgia west of I95.  My guess (and it's just that) from looking at some of the newer models that Dorian may be further off our coast than Matthew and we won't need to leave.  Of course, 12 -24 hours from now, that could all change.

Love Amelia Island.  We went to Ft Clinch State Park 2 years ago with our camping trailer and had lunch at the Crab Trap in Fernandina Beach. We've camped all along the east coast of Florida over the past 20 some years.  We're in the process of trying out all the state parks in Georgia and South Carolina just so we know where to go when these hurricanes hit.  We endured the wrath of Andrew in South Miami (my first major hurricane experience) and hurricane Wilma and 3 hurricanes in a row in South Carolina (Matthew was our first major player).  Price we pay for wanting to live near the water.

2 minutes ago, ducklite said:

It is good to get out.   had friends of mine stay there during Frances.  They were at first we will have no trouble.  After it was over the said never again.  Way too scary.  We had two ladies from England who were renting one of the condos in our complex.  They stayed.  They never saw a hurricane before and thought it would be fine.  their balcony got rip off and the water was coming through the roof.  They ended up hiding in a down stair's closet for hours.  As soon as they could they got out and went back to England. never to return.  Just plain stupid to stay.

10 hours ago, jakeil7 said:

I’m right there with you!  I was supposed to land at my home airport in central PA from DFW at 10pm. It’s now 3am and I’m driving home from Philly. 😡

File away that Sanford has an airport just north of Orlando. They have flights into center PA with Allegant Aitlines. Low cost and convenience is amazing. https://www.allegiantair.com/interactive-routemap

53 minutes ago, ricka47 said:

So, it wouldn't be likely that they could even get employees to the port to load/unload and all of the other work needed to turn the ship around for another cruise.

Typically once they order an evacuation, no one enters the barrier island unless they are a resident with proof of address going to pick up their family or board their home, or people with ID proving they are with OEM, FEMA, first responder going to work, or other essential personnel.  So it would be doubtful that no-essential port workers would be allowed on the island.  Essential port workers would only include a skeleton crew there to be sure any ships staying in port were properly moored, security personnel, etc.  

45 minutes ago, pjs9876 said:

File away that Sanford has an airport just north of Orlando. They have flights into center PA with Allegant Aitlines. Low cost and convenience is amazing. https://www.allegiantair.com/interactive-routemap

Let me suggest you look into Allegiant’s safety issues. We have a flight that we used to use a lot at work to FL and I refuse to allow my staff to use them anymore. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Diver2014 said:

Anyone who thinks they can ride out a hurricane is "just plain stupid to stay"....as you say.  Been there, done that and won't ever do it again.

I think it depends on where you live and the type of home you live in.  

I'm inland, right around halfway between the Atlantic and the Gulf.  At 240' above sea level, if I flood the rest of you better own an Ark.  My home was built above the 2002 Miami-Dade building codes, although I'm in Lake County.  Irma's eye came within a few miles of me.  (I actually slept through the worst of it.) 

I lost a (singular) shingle off my roof. A few homes in my neighborhood built around the same time had more significant roof damage--only shingles though.  The only one that also lost some of the underlayment had pre-existing roof issues that hadn't been addressed.  (It was in foreclosure)  None lost decking.

We are well prepared with window coverings, a generator, etc.  

That said, if I lived east of I-95, I'd be looking for someplace safer to ride this one out.

3 minutes ago, ducklite said:

I think it depends on where you live and the type of home you live in.  

I'm inland, right around halfway between the Atlantic and the Gulf.  At 240' above sea level, if I flood the rest of you better own an Ark.  My home was built above the 2002 Miami-Dade building codes, although I'm in Lake County.  Irma's eye came within a few miles of me.  (I actually slept through the worst of it.) 

I lost a (singular) shingle off my roof. A few homes in my neighborhood built around the same time had more significant roof damage--only shingles though.  The only one that also lost some of the underlayment had pre-existing roof issues that hadn't been addressed.  (It was in foreclosure)  None lost decking.

We are well prepared with window coverings, a generator, etc.  

That said, if I lived east of I-95, I'd be looking for someplace safer to ride this one out.

Owning a ark gave me a good laugh.  Our complex is just across A1A and about on a good day 10 feet above sea level.  about 28 miles south of the Port C on the island.   They, in this case were nuts to stay.

You have the right type of building, and what is needed in Fl.

• Like 1