Currency for Tips (Seeking Advice)

tlc1972

Now that I've got the inaugural sailing for Apex booked, I need to admit that this will also be my first "European" cruise. 

We start in Southampton, with two stops: Brussels and Amsterdam. 

In addition to gratuities, I'd also like to leave additional cash for the crew. Which currency do you recommend? USD, GPB, or Euro? 

I usually use dollars since that is the currency on the ship.  To be honest, once or twice I used Euros if I had a lot left over since they can spend it during their time off outside of England.   I don't think anyone would turn down any currency.  Enjoy the Apex.

I save my Euros and GBP’s for personal use and tip extra with US$. That way I don’t have to worry about getting enough for tips and personal use in port and the crew will not only accept (gladly) US$, it works best for them in many ways. The US$ is very strong against most other currencies and many don’t use the tips for personal use, but for family support back home which in many cases isn’t US/GBP/Euros. And onboard purchases are in US$ for them as it is us. 

But any currency works just fine.

Den

As other posters have said, crew/staff members will always and gladly accept any currency from almost any country which has an established exchange rate. It should be noted that crew members are prohibited from keeping all but a very small amount of cash on their person or in their cabin. Each crew member has a “bank account” with the ship’s on-board bank/purser’s office into which they deposit any cash received (e.g., gratuities) or withdraw any “local” cash needed for in-port activities (e.g., on-shore meals, cab fares, etc.).  At the end of every shift or when they return from onshore “liberty”, each crew member must deposit the cash they have on them with the purser’s office in the crew area. The necessary currency conversion is performed by the purser’ office.

I always ask what day my cabin attendant is going into port and give cash for lunch or other items they wish to buy. In Europe I give Euros. I usually get a report back as to what they got . Last cruise the guy only wanted Burger King as he says they are all tired of the mess food onboard. He even said what flavour milk shake he had . 

17 hours ago, Denny01 said:

I save my Euros and GBP’s for personal use and tip extra with US$. That way I don’t have to worry about getting enough for tips and personal use in port and the crew will not only accept (gladly) US$, it works best for them in many ways. The US$ is very strong against most other currencies and many don’t use the tips for personal use, but for family support back home which in many cases isn’t US/GBP/Euros. And onboard purchases are in US$ for them as it is us. 

But any currency works just fine.

Den

Den- I do the same thing.