Strangest thing you take with you

Bennybluehat

6 hours ago, Jevsy said:

So glad we took some on Arcadia for our part-worldie! Better for watching a movie on TV rather than the glaring bright cabin lights!! 

Ooh. Do tell which cabin.

Of all the descriptions I have for cabin lighting glaring is not one of them.

In fact, for my next cruise a I have bought a lighted make up mirror.

n order to find/use the loo at night, we take a couple of those small battery powered imitation candles. They can be left on all night just inside the open bathroom door and can't be seen from the bedroom  and a fresh battery will easily last2 weeks

I’m afraid we leave the bathroom light on and close the door. A small amount of light diffuses under the door (& sometimes through the vent under a wardrobe!) This is enough to allow you to see your way to the bathroom without mishap but not enough to disrupt sleep. 

Wasteful of electricity, I know but I guess it’s. 0.01kW bulb in there and I never use a hairdryer ( wonder why?) so I guess I’ve got a few kWh banked up for my night light. 

Just wondered...is it now permissible to describe our inside cabin as ‘fully obstructed ocean view?’ Thought it might move me up a level or two in cabin bragging rites stakes😂

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ranchi said:

n order to find/use the loo at night, we take a couple of those small battery powered imitation candles. They can be left on all night just inside the open bathroom door and can't be seen from the bedroom  and a fresh battery will easily last2 weeks

I’m afraid we leave the bathroom light on and close the door. A small amount of light diffuses under the door (& sometimes through the vent under a wardrobe!) This is enough to allow you to see your way to the bathroom without mishap but not enough to disrupt sleep. 

Wasteful of electricity, I know but I guess it’s. 0.01kW bulb in there and I never use a hairdryer ( wonder why?) so I guess I’ve got a few kWh banked up for my night light. 

Just wondered...is it now permissible to describe our inside cabin as ‘fully obstructed ocean view?’ Thought it might move me up a level or two in cabin bragging rites stakes😂

I can never sleep with any light whatsoever. 

First thing I do before retiring for the first night is switch all the lights off and cover up all the sources of light. The light from the air con controls, the stand by light on the TV, the spy hole in the door if the cover doesn't work properly, rolled up towel at the bottom of the cabin door. I can fall asleep with the lights, but if I half wake the presence of any lights immediately jolts me fully awake. 

If I want the bathroom I put bedside light on (one of the joys of solo travel) or use the light from my phone. 

All the talk about having to leave in case of an emergency reminded me - in the Muster Drill they always talk about taking a head covering - I never have a head covering.  I suppose I could use a chiffon scarf but I don't think that would be much good.  I'm just going up to continue with my packing - armed with coffee bags and some drinking chocolate.  You used to be able to get sachets from the buffet but I haven't seen them lately.  Some evenings, it's just good to have that cup of drinking chocolate!

6 hours ago, annieuk said:

All the talk about having to leave in case of an emergency reminded me - in the Muster Drill they always talk about taking a head covering - I never have a head covering.  I suppose I could use a chiffon scarf but I don't think that would be much good.  I'm just going up to continue with my packing - armed with coffee bags and some drinking chocolate.  You used to be able to get sachets from the buffet but I haven't seen them lately.  Some evenings, it's just good to have that cup of drinking chocolate!

Slip on your warm jacket and use your pyjama jacket as ahead covering.  The sleeves of your pyjama jacket will tie under your chin.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, annieuk said:

They still have them, but you have to ask.

8 hours ago, annieuk said:

Hot chocolate is served in the late night buffet.

We take them back to the cabin with a handful of digestive biscuits...

Andy

Chocolate. Though all those desserts look lovely, they aren't for me. Also take the mini candles. Put one in the bathroom and one on the dressing table. A small magnifying glass from Liverpool Cathedral. The screw fell out of oh's glasses and he couldn't see to put it back. I have a small pencil case with scissors, tweezers, nail file, tiny screwdriver, torch, safety pins and a tube of hand wash detergent.

The thread on the army knives has me wondering about the scissors. They are longer than those knives, the length of the pencil case. This is usually in my case.

9 hours ago, annieuk said:

If you ask for a sachet of hot chocolate in the buffet at night you will be given one( I don t think they are on display).Also on some ships now there is hot chocolate made with milk in jugs in the buffet- we always go for a mug after syndicate quiz quite late between 11 30 and midnight

Edited by ann141
spelling

On 8/29/2019 at 10:29 AM, FangedRose said:

I can never sleep with any light whatsoever. 

First thing I do before retiring for the first night is switch all the lights off and cover up all the sources of light. The light from the air con controls, the stand by light on the TV, the spy hole in the door if the cover doesn't work properly, rolled up towel at the bottom of the cabin door. I can fall asleep with the lights, but if I half wake the presence of any lights immediately jolts me fully awake. 

If I want the bathroom I put bedside light on (one of the joys of solo travel) or use the light from my phone. 

My wife is exactly the same. When we took a North Cape ("midnight sun") cruise years ago she was like a black-out warden at bedtime and for once I wish that we'd booked an inside cabin. 

• Like 1

I'd better not say that we take the in-laws with us (even though my wife suggested this as our "odd" thing to take).

I'm sure lots of kids take a favourite soft toy but our son has a collection of nearly 500 (honestly!) and we always end up taking at least half a dozen on our cruises (with Doggy now being a 7 cruise veteran). We usually come home with a few new additions as well. With one exception our cabin stewards have always been great and often we'll return in the evening to find the soft toys carefully placed around the cabin in different poses. In particular one steward must have been a budding hairdresser as on that cruise our son's soft toy sloth was given a different hairstyle every evening. 

Edited by DamianG

20 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Hot chocolate is served in the late night buffet.

We take them back to the cabin with a handful of digestive biscuits...

Andy

Digestive biscuits?! All we ever seem to find in the late night buffet is soggy pizza and left over desserts! We have often commented on how a cookie or equivalent would be good with a late night hot drink. Maybe we go in too early or too late but I will definitely be hunting the digestives out on our next cruise! 🍪🍩🐷

On 8/27/2019 at 11:00 AM, SquishTheWhale said:

We take a mini torch- I know, it's not a camping expedition! But we usually have an inside cabin and use it to navigate to the loo during the night to avoid waking up the other person by turning on the light.

I just use torch on my phone. 

2 hours ago, Bennybluehat said:

Digestive biscuits?! All we ever seem to find in the late night buffet is soggy pizza and left over desserts! We have often commented on how a cookie or equivalent would be good with a late night hot drink. Maybe we go in too early or too late but I will definitely be hunting the digestives out on our next cruise! 🍪🍩🐷

They are with the cheese and biscuits.

You probably can't find them as I have been before you filling my pockets...😀

Andy 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Our 2 miniature teddy bears, Mr and Mrs T Bear --- they have been on every holiday with us for about 24 years now. They are on our photo avatar on the table of a SV cabin on Celebrity Silhouette !!! If it was a case of a call to Muster Stations they would be my priority (other than hubby of course!) :-)

On 8/26/2019 at 7:02 PM, Bennybluehat said:

I’ve been reading with some amusement & bewilderment the thread on taking a pocket knife with you on your cruise, especially the people stating they take items like cheese and Wd40 with them - the mind boggles! It made me wonder what is the strangest item or items you take with you? ( and keep it clean lol ).

Sincere thanks to Bennybluehat for initiating such an amusing thread.

2 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Never seen it, just PG I think?

Andy

You are right. We have just come back from Yorkshire and they had the same tea (which was why I was thinking Yorkshire tea). Reminded me of the ship (horrible strong tea).