Sail Away Balcony

Ima Desert Diva

I booked a cruise for January on the "JOY".  First time NCL cruiser.  I opted to choose the "sail away" balcony option.  I am making random payment installments on my cruise fare.  My question is;  at what point in time, generally speaking, will I be notified of the assigned location of my cabin?  Will this information automatically appear on my account receipt, or a separate email notification ~ or what?  

I've heard that you may not know until you arrive at the terminal.  They could be dealing with upgrade requests up to about 3 days before sailing.  Then again, you could have a cabin number tomorrow.

You won't get an email specifically with your assignment, but when you're close to sail date some of their normal emails will show your room number if it's been assigned to you. Otherwise it'll show up on your reservation anywhere from today until maybe not knowing until you get to the port. 

Like everyone mentioned, it can be anytime from now up until a couple of days before your departure date.

In my recent experience, I booked a cruise for October 2019 in the end of June and got a cabin assignment a month later.

Edited by Rluong

My final payment was due last Sat. for upcoming cruise in Nov.
I decided to switch to a mini-suite sale away and when I looked at MYNCL on
Monday....POOF! I was assigned a really nice cabin, high up, right smack in the
middle!

I was told by NCL that it would take a month and figured it might take up until 

the day of sailing.  Both were wrong.  lol

Since you mentioned you are making random payment installments, I would think they won't assign you a cabin until you are paid in full. 

It depends. I booked a sail away cabin last year for my December cruise and was assigned within a couple of days. I make random installment payments so that doesn't have to do with anything. Another time I booked a sail away cabin and wasn't assigned until around 60 days before the cruise. 

I just randomly checked here and there...

On 8/26/2019 at 5:32 PM, Ima Desert Diva said:

I booked a cruise for January on the "JOY".  First time NCL cruiser.  I opted to choose the "sail away" balcony option.  I am making random payment installments on my cruise fare.  My question is;  at what point in time, generally speaking, will I be notified of the assigned location of my cabin?  Will this information automatically appear on my account receipt, or a separate email notification ~ or what?  

It can happen at any time from within minutes of booking until the day of sailing. NCL tends to assign cabins  early, but that is not always true.