Dorian ?? MSC Seaside Reroute??

cruisebeachgirl703

11 minutes ago, CruisingFox27 said:

An array of unhappy passengers on social media and forums dissatisfied with several of the cruise companies for their decision making and communication. I read a selection this morning of NCL passengers who were raging at NCL for their actions and decisions, or rather lack of, in their case.

An unenviable job, deciding on the best course of action in these situations, given the unpredictability of the storm.

Are you referring to the breakaway revisions? Had Dorian stayed on path, the breakaway had the best alternative (imo). They overnighted in Cozumel and planned to head back late. When Dorian stalled plans changed. 

Based on what I’ve read, ncl sky passengers were informed of the new plan hours before seaside and the cruise ships were literally docked right next to each other. That is a legit concern imo. 

1 minute ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

My info is coming from CC and Facebook so obviously not vetted for accuracy. 

1- I think MSc entered POM with the best intention as I believe they thought the port would close. At that time, Pom went from “whiskey” to “X-ray” warnings quickly in preparation for closing, but I don’t believe Pom ever definitely stated they would actually close- it just looked that way.  Here is where MSc dropped the ball. They were very specific with their letters stating seaside would sail back out Friday night to ride out the storm, leaving no room for a change of  plans.

2- ncl sky also entered POM Friday morning under the same situation. Like seaside, passengers could leave the sky or stay onboard. The original letters to sky guests were similar to those given to seaside passengers. However as the dynamic scene progressed, it seems the sky passengers had better updates allowing more time and information to work with.

3- at 11:30am (Friday), a ncl guests posted that were informed  the sky would be overnighting in Miami. Guests could debark early, but everyone needed to be gone sat morning to load all the aug 31 people (new cruise). They planned to sail out of Miami as scheduled (albeit early) on Saturday. I don’t believe seaside guests received the same information until much later Friday evening.

I have empathy for those who were onboard seaside. Having been on Divina with a medical emergency which put us back in Miami several hours late, I can say from personal experience that communication was sorely lacking (and we were in YC). Many guests missed flights that day. Had they had detailed information earlier some of the tension could have been avoided.

i also sympathize with the cruise lines. Dorian has not behaved consistently. Lines seem to be learning as they go along. A few years ago, rcl made an absolute mess of an arrival in Galveston. They were MUCH better this year dealing with Dorian. MSc did a great job dealing with Irma- but may have dropped the communication ball with Dorian.

Carnival brought in their ship yesterday evening to disembark pax. They requested permission to stay overnight in port and board pax for the new cruise today - that was in their announcement.

It was denied and also denied boarding new pax  last night so they had to leave. That announcement followed a while later.

Pax already in Miami waiting to get on are having to either camcel or wait til it comes back for a shortened cruise.

Every cruise line was just trying to deal with what info they had available. Im sure they were all scrambling. No good scenario for anyone.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Are you referring to the breakaway revisions? Had Dorian stayed on path, the breakaway had the best alternative (imo). They overnighted in Cozumel and planned to head back late. When Dorian stalled plans changed. 

Based on what I’ve read, ncl sky passengers were informed of the new plan hours before seaside and the cruise ships were literally docked right next to each other. That is a legit concern imo. 

Various NCL ships, various complaints. A lot relating to lack of information and the intended plans not being communicated or conflicting information for the same ship and sailing etc.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, sidari said:

Now a Cat 5 ... 😟

With a very well defined eye-wall. This thing is a monster. Looks so much like Andrew it's scary. The good news is that Andrew had the spaghetti models all in agreement. Those of you old enough to remember Andrew :::::: shudder :::::::::.