Laem Chabang (Bangkok)

tring

Anything easy to get to from the cruise terminal?  We spent a few nights in Bangkok last winter and did a number of main sights along the river, but with the pollution levels we would have no wish to return to the city, but we are looking at cruises to that region and many of them seem to port here for a day or even two days.  I have tried searching and do not seem to be getting anywhere.

Laem Chabang itself has nothing - and there's no usable public transport in the area.

It's chosen as a cruise port because it's the nearest port to Bangkok for medium-to-large cruise ships.

And it's usually an overnite port because it's 90 minutes to 2.5 hours from Bangkok.

As miaminic'e post, the obvious alternative is Pattaya.

For the beach during the day, and for the evening google "Walking Street Pattaya". It's .....errr......quite interesting :classic_wink:. But me and mine walked it and there are perfectly decent bars, restaurants, kick-boxing and such.

I've seen local tours  mentioned on this forum - elephant park, temples & such.

Dial "Pattaya" and "Laem Chabang" into the search function, top right on the Asia forum - remember to select "this forum" before you hit the search icon (to avoid an overload of rollcall - type chit-chat) and you'll find some threads

JB :classic_smile:

Thank you for the replies everyone.  Will look into it further.

Our (single) son was in Pattya with a number of friends for a few nights in recent years and even he was not keen on it - I have heard of the reputation so know what you mean John.

Edited by tring

On 8/28/2019 at 12:56 PM, tring said:

Our (single) son was in Pattya with a number of friends for a few nights in recent years and even he was not keen on it - I have heard of the reputation so know what you mean John.

But it is also possible to get around these places... the elephant sanctuary for example or the Sanctuary of the Truth are worth visiting.

• Like 1

Yes Pattaya is known around the World as the number one destination for Sex Tourist..... And if you go to Pattaya you will find 100's of clubs and bars with very friendly workers..... But the city is much more than just the bars and sex.  The Island just off the city is a great day trip, good cheap ferry service.

The city has wonderful food and great shopping. If you are looking to purchase gold Thai Gold Jewelry (Baht Gold) is 23kt and priced within 5 to 10% of the melt down value. Great place for clothes shopping, custom suits and values in the markets.  The beach is the heart of the city with a walk along it.  The "adult fun" is around in many areas but "Walking Street" at night is the heart of these activities, so not really a family place on Walking Street at night. But still you will see many families.

If you want a better beach without the  "adult fun) go three km south to  Jomtien  Beach. it is a nice beach without all the added outside factors. I lived in Thailand for about 8 years from 2001, it is a country that is very friendly. Bangkok is worth seeing but heading south of the port to Pattaya or Jomtien Beach is worth consideration.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Expat Cruise said:

Yes Pattaya is known around the World as the number one destination for Sex Tourist..... And if you go to Pattaya you will find 100's of clubs and bars with very friendly workers..... But the city is much more than just the bars and sex.  The Island just off the city is a great day trip, good cheap ferry service.

The city has wonderful food and great shopping. If you are looking to purchase gold Thai Gold Jewelry (Baht Gold) is 23kt and priced within 5 to 10% of the melt down value. Great place for clothes shopping, custom suits and values in the markets.  The beach is the heart of the city with a walk along it.  The "adult fun" is around in many areas but "Walking Street" at night is the heart of these activities, so not really a family place on Walking Street at night. But still you will see many families.

If you want a better beach without the  "adult fun) go three km south to  Jomtien  Beach. it is a nice beach without all the added outside factors. I lived in Thailand for about 8 years from 2001, it is a country that is very friendly. Bangkok is worth seeing but heading south of the port to Pattaya or Jomtien Beach is worth consideration.

Thank you very much that is great info. to put it in perspective.

As mentioned we spent a few days in Bangkok last January, feel we have seen/done what we want to and no wish to repeat the experience of the pollution (even on the river) as I am asthmatic and it was just unpleasant as well.

On 8/28/2019 at 11:56 AM, tring said:

What Cruise are you on?

There is a huge shopping mall as you enter Pattaya. It is new and is designed like an airport and there are zones for countries in the world. We took the cruise shuttle and it was the shuttle stop for Pattaya. It’s worth a look. It has the longest escalator I’ve ever seen! Probably could walk to the beach from the mall and there is always transport available to other places in Pattaya. Pattaya itself is sleazy. 

• Like 1