Norwegian Gem - Cabin question

m1k2s3

My husband and I have never cruised with Norwegian before, but have done several cruises with Oceania.  We wanted to try a different cruise line and are looking at a cruise on Norwegian Gem. We can’t decide on a cabin category - Mini Suite with Balcony or a Balcony Stateroom.  I’m interested in hearing from people who’ve experienced these cabins - what did you like or dislike? Would you choose the same category again?

Thanks for your help

The Gem is a Jewel class ship. (Jewel, Jade, Pearl and Gem) We have sailed in a balcony cabin once and a mini-suite several times on this class of ship. There are two significant differences between the balcony cabin and the mini-suite, the bathroom and the balcony.

The balcony cabin bathroom has the typical compact design with sink, shower and commode in a small but well thought out space. The mini-suite bathroom is larger with the commode in its own space which can be closed off by a glass sliding door. The sink is larger and the shower is a shower/tub combination.

The balcony cabin balcony is the width of the cabin but only four feet deep. The mini-suite balcony is six feet deep making it much less cramped and more comfortable for two or more people.

If you decide to book the mini-suite pay very careful attention to the deck plans. All mini-suites are on deck 11. Directly above is deck 12 with the pools, spa and buffet. Noise can be an issue in many of these cabins. My suggestion is to book under the buffet seating are which is starboard side aft, or under the library and card room starboard side forward. Definitely avoid being under the pool area port and starboard, and the buffet galley port side aft.

Edited by Paul Bogle

We were in a mini-suite on deck 11 under the pool, and while we did hear some chair-dragging early in the morning, it wasn't that bad. We'd been booked in an inside and got a call from our TA offering an upgrade to a mini so we grabbed it. When we did a cabin crawl with our roll call group, we found the cabins overall much more spacious than on the newer ships. You'll be fine regardless of whether you choose a balcony or a mini! Gem is a beautiful ship and the crew is fantastic.

2 hours ago, Paul Bogle said:

The mini-suite bathroom is larger with the commode in its own space which can be closed off by a glass sliding door. The sink is larger and the shower is a shower/tub combination

FYI for the OP: the side of the tub is quite high, and can be a real problem for short people, and pretty much for anyone when the ship is rockin' and rollin'.  The tub itself is fairly narrow; it's suitable for kids, but imho not really adult-friendly.   

We love the Gem and her sister Jewel-class ships, but we've never chosen a mini-suite because so many of them are under noisy public areas above, and we just will not chance that.  We've sailed many times in balcony staterooms.   (I'm familiar with the tub/shower combo in the mini-suite bathroom because it's the same thing used in some of the suites, which, imho, is one of the negatives about those suites.) 

Enjoy whatever you choose!

To add to what has already been said, mini suites do not receive any of the increased services and dining benefits of suites. Think of the category as something like "deluxe balcony with combination tub/shower", and put the word "suite" aside.

If we're not booking a suite on the Jewel class ships we just book a balcony as the mini suites don't offer us anything  significantly more than a balcony cabin, and as I've gotten older and my knees have gotten creakier I'd just as soon not have the  tub/shower combination. I'll accept the tub/shower it as part of a suite because there are other benefits that come with the suites.

• Like 1