Check-In and Boarding For Son With Autism

TinaJoy

I've already contacted Access to let RCI know my son has ASD. This is a portion of the email I received in reply:

Thank you for contacting the Access Department regarding our autism program.  
As part of our Autism Friendly program, we provide priority check-in, boarding and departure, please advise the pier staff that your son is on the list for priority boarding for guest with Special Needs. We also offer Autism Friendly Films, Autism Friendly toy lending program, Cruising Social Story and much more.  The televisions in the staterooms have provide a variety of entertainment options including complimentary, on-demand access to The Autism Channel.  

I guess my biggest question is, does anyone have any experience with priority check-in with a special needs child? How is it different than regular check-in? I know from experience that embarkation day can be chaotic! I'll definitely be bringing his head phones, toys and ipad to keep him entertained and distracted, but would like to prepare both him and myself for what to expect. Thanks!

It could simply mean you are automatically assigned the first boarding group after suites/pinnacle/key/ B2B/ wedding parties.  It could mean you wait with the people who requested wheelchair assistance.  The port would depend on whether there would be a quiet separate waiting area.  

check in just means you will be sent through whichever line  is shortest.  Maybe.  

You could also just choose to arrive about 10:30-11:00 and have a seamless check in and boarding without the wait.  

• Like 1

I cruised with my autistic granddaughter. She was allowed to stay in the cabin during the Muster drill. My daughter-in-law went to Guest Services as soon as we boarded and asked and they told her to just stay in the cabin with the child during the muster.

• Like 1

I have a daughter with Autism and Down Syndrome. Though she takes her wheelchair with her on trips, I have had great experiences with boarding on the many RCCL cruises we have taken. Pretty much front of the line with priority boarding.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

On my last cruise in 2017 on the Allure, when we arrived at the port at check in, a lady came over to us once everything was done and walked us over to the pictures, had us go through and skip any line , then took us over to the suite area since it was quiet and less stimulating and we waited and boarded with the suite passengers ( we were in a balcony). So we were one of the first to board. We did the normal muster - we stood in the back - but my autistic son, it did not bother him. He actually liked the video. I love Royals attention to my sons needs. We were supposed to go this year but right now have moved it to next year.