Bottle of Wine at the Buffet?

Tom.Terrific

10 minutes ago, ParrotRob said:

Nevermind.  Just keep paying $30 for a $9 bottle of wine and telling yourself you're not paying for the service.

If it's wine you bring on board yourself, then the wine is what it costs retail; no service fee if you don't pay a corkage. This is not about wine you buy on board.

2 minutes ago, amyotravel said:

If it's wine you bring on board yourself, then the wine is what it costs retail; no service fee if you don't pay a corkage. This is not about wine you buy on board.

My post very specifically said "If you buy wine ON BOARD...".

2 minutes ago, ParrotRob said:

My post very specifically said "If you buy wine ON BOARD...".

Maybe so, but don't think that's what at least some others were talking about. Maybe they would neither buy wine on board nor want to pay a corkage fee for theirs. Maybe they were referring to wine they bring on the ship with them, and they were not planning on purchasing any onboard. that's all.

3 minutes ago, amyotravel said:

Maybe so, but don't think that's what at least some others were talking about. Maybe they would neither buy wine on board nor want to pay a corkage fee for theirs. Maybe they were referring to wine they bring on the ship with them, and they were not planning on purchasing any onboard. that's all.

So someone said "I would never pay $15 to open a $15 bottle of wine".  All I said was "*IF* you buy it onboard you're already doing that whether you like it or not".  That's it.  Don't read more into it than that.

3 hours ago, The7Harrisons said:

LOLOLOL, You have missed the whole point!!! Pour your own in your room, show up any where on the boat with a glass or 2 of wine and you will NEVER be charged!!! Later gaters!!

What point was I missing. I read your copy of Carnival rules and simply said it would be hit or miss if you were charged a corkage fee. I completely agree with pouring in room and bringing a glass. SMH

2 hours ago, ParrotRob said:

So someone said "I would never pay $15 to open a $15 bottle of wine".  All I said was "*IF* you buy it onboard you're already doing that whether you like it or not".  That's it.  Don't read more into it than that.

Hi

I think you are losing them. 😃

It's like the joke... if you have to explain it...

3 hours ago, ParrotRob said:

Nevermind.  Just keep paying $30 for a $9 bottle of wine and telling yourself you're not paying for the service.

So if you pay $10 for $2 worth of meat on burger, are you paying $8 for "service" It's called markup to offset expenses. Same as liquor at a bar.

10 minutes ago, coevan said:

So if you pay $10 for $2 worth of meat on burger, are you paying $8 for "service" It's called markup to offset expenses. Same as liquor at a bar.

Nope.  But when you pay $10 for a burger in a restaurant when you can buy the EXACT SAME BURGER for takeout for $2 then yes, you ARE paying $8 for service.  This really is quite simple.  Your Burger vs. Meat analogy doesn't work.  The bottle of wine is exactly the same no matter where you buy it.

Edited by ParrotRob

58 minutes ago, ParrotRob said:

you ARE paying $8 for service

last post on this subject, you are paying $8 for rent/mortgage, labor, insurance, food cost, CC processing fees ($2,000) a month, utilities, repairs, maintenance, but NOT service, sorry

50 minutes ago, coevan said:

last post on this subject, you are paying $8 for rent/mortgage, labor, insurance, food cost, CC processing fees ($2,000) a month, utilities, repairs, maintenance, but NOT service, sorry

I see some things never change.

On 8/28/2019 at 2:23 PM, Tom.Terrific said:

So we're just 10 days away from cruise #17, and of course we're going to bring a couple of bottles of wine with us.  I know to expect a corkage fee when we bring a bottle to one of the bars / lounges, MDR, and specialty restaurants.  But how about the Lido buffet?  We've enjoyed some surprisingly nice dinners in the buffet.  Are there any concerns with taking a bottle there?  Thanks!

In terms of corkage fee, I would do as suggested and bring a glass with to dinner rather than the bottle.  You might have issues if you have actual glassware though, since I think Lido deck bars use plastic glasses.  I would probably get glasses from one of the pool deck bars to take back to the cabin before going to the buffet with your wine.

18 hours ago, ParrotRob said:

Nope.  But when you pay $10 for a burger in a restaurant when you can buy the EXACT SAME BURGER for takeout for $2 then yes, you ARE paying $8 for service.  This really is quite simple.  Your Burger vs. Meat analogy doesn't work.  The bottle of wine is exactly the same no matter where you buy it.

17 hours ago, coevan said:

If I choose to purchase food to eat in a restaurant, served to me with nice presentation, and someone else does the dishes after - I am certainly paying for service.  The restaurant might be paying for the overhead and operating cost (I thought labor was part of service?), but the customer is paying for service.

45 minutes ago, pacruise804 said:

In terms of corkage fee, I would do as suggested and bring a glass with to dinner rather than the bottle.  You might have issues if you have actual glassware though, since I think Lido deck bars use plastic glasses.  I would probably get glasses from one of the pool deck bars to take back to the cabin before going to the buffet with your wine.

If I choose to purchase food to eat in a restaurant, served to me with nice presentation, and someone else does the dishes after - I am certainly paying for service.  The restaurant might be paying for the overhead and operating cost (I thought labor was part of service?), but the customer is paying for service.

Indeed.  But let's not let common sense get in the way of a contentious argument.

• Haha 1

On 8/29/2019 at 12:24 PM, coevan said:

every single time we cruise, never been charged, don't be so sure of yourself. Not only have we never been charged, i would never pay it. If they pushed i would bring it back to the cabin and pour in glasses. 

We have sailed on more than 50 Carnival cruises, and brought wine on board nearly every one of them. Usually my DW just fills a glass in the room and brings it to dinner. However, there have been many times when she brought the opened bottle with her. We had never been charged a corkage fee... until we were. Eventually, the Maitre ‘d came over and waived the fee, but only because we are Diamond. He said that just because some waiters don’t follow the rules - which do say that the fee will be charged if you bring the bottle in to the MDR - doesn’t mean they all won’t. He was right, of course. Since that time, it’s glasses of wine to the MDR only.

As I have been known to quip, the only consistent thing about Carnival is their inconsistency...

Bob

• Like 1

4 hours ago, xbatt8 said:

We have sailed on more than 50 Carnival cruises, and brought wine on board nearly every one of them. Usually my DW just fills a glass in the room and brings it to dinner. However, there have been many times when she brought the opened bottle with her. We had never been charged a corkage fee... until we were. Eventually, the Maitre ‘d came over and waived the fee, but only because we are Diamond. He said that just because some waiters don’t follow the rules - which do say that the fee will be charged if you bring the bottle in to the MDR - doesn’t mean they all won’t. He was right, of course. Since that time, it’s glasses of wine to the MDR only.

As I have been known to quip, the only consistent thing about Carnival is their inconsistency...

Bob

Just under 50 cruises on Carnival, and our experience is the same as yours.  I think maybe once in 20 times were we told there would be a fee, so I went back to the cabin and poured it into glasses.  My take on this is that most waiters don't want to be confrontational with the guests over this for fear of having their tips reduced or removed, so they just ignore the fee.