Busan - Far Eastern Horizons

bobinnv

Just received notice from Viking that the stop at Busan, South Korea has been removed from our Far Eastern Horizons tour in May 2020. It will be replaced with another stop in Japan, Beppu.

I'm wondering if this also happened to the Far Eastern Horizons trip that I believe is scheduled for September 2019?

A disappointment for sure. I think we will continue with the trip, but I wonder if there is any option to change our minds since the original itinerary we signed up for has changed. Anyone experienced a change like this?

Under the Cruise Contract for U.S. travelers (I am not sure about other countries), Viking can change the ports

"Advanced, Cancelled or Delayed: Viking reserves the right to withdraw and/or cancel a tour or to make changes in the itinerary and hotel accommodations whenever, in its sole judgment, or in the judgment of the Carrier conditions warrant it. In the event of charters of the vessels, adverse weather or water conditions, mechanical or other issues with the vessel, docking issues, government or other authority actions, truces, lockouts, riots or stoppage of labor from whatever cause or for any other reason whatsoever, the Carrier may, at any time, cancel, advance, alter, substitute or postpone any scheduled tour and may, but is not obliged to, substitute another vessel or itinerary and shall not be liable for any loss whatsoever to passengers by reason of any such cancellation, advancement or postponement except as specifically set forth in the Carrier’s Passenger Ticket Contract Terms and Conditions."

I am on the November 1 Far Eastern Horizons Cruise and was looking forward to visiting So. Korea but a change of port is a risk you take on any cruise. I am more concerned about being able to fly out of Hong Kong on November 15.

14 hours ago, bobinnv said:

Just received notice from Viking that the stop at Busan, South Korea has been removed from our Far Eastern Horizons tour in May 2020. It will be replaced with another stop in Japan, Beppu.

I'm wondering if this also happened to the Far Eastern Horizons trip that I believe is scheduled for September 2019?

A disappointment for sure. I think we will continue with the trip, but I wonder if there is any option to change our minds since the original itinerary we signed up for has changed. Anyone experienced a change like this?

Busan has been pulled from all future cruises. I'm sailing in 2021 and received notice yesterday of the change. I am disappointed but I am sure that Viking had good reasons for the change. And, no, Viking is not going to tell us why; they never do.

You have until 121 days prior to sailing to change your mind and get back all but $100pp. After that point, refund is according to schedule set forth on the invoice (and repeated in the terms and conditions, which you can view online).

For the record, I have been on a number of sailings that have had changes to the itinerary for one reason or another. One time we learned that both Tunisia and Algeria were being cancelled less a month prior to sailing. We chose to sail into those ports rather than to visit on our own because we knew that Viking would cancel those ports if they were unsafe. Lo and behold, someone mouthed off, tensions rose in an already volatile region and Viking cancelled. A lot of people bitched and moaned about it but I was happy that they cancelled rather than risk the safety of crew and pax. In fact, because of the unpredictability of these two ports, Viking has stopped even trying to call there and Tunis and Algiers are no longer on any itinerary.

I don't know why Viking has cancelled this go round but if they did, it was not done lightly and the fact that they have cancelled even the 2020 and 2021 sailings is significant.

Edited by Peregrina651

Hi Peregrina - Algeria may be removed from the Meddy itineraries, but somewhat surprisingly it is still included on the World Cruise. When we booked, I thought Tunisia & Algeria were the 2 ports most likely to be changed.

Sure enough, Tunis was the first, followed by Brunei, Ceylon & one in China. However, Algeria is still included for now, but could change over the next 7 months.

15 hours ago, Emptynesters38 said:

I am on the November 1 Far Eastern Horizons Cruise and was looking forward to visiting So. Korea but a change of port is a risk you take on any cruise. I am more concerned about being able to fly out of Hong Kong on November 15.

Agree with you there.. Hong Kong is one of the stars of that itinerary, and the one I had been concerned about..

10 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Algeria may be removed from the Meddy itineraries, but somewhat surprisingly it is still included on the World Cruise. When we booked, I thought Tunisia & Algeria were the 2 ports most likely to be changed.

And they still might be. Especially Tunisia.

On 8/30/2019 at 1:59 PM, bobinnv said:

Agree with you there.. Hong Kong is one of the stars of that itinerary, and the one I had been concerned about..

We are on the November 1, 2019 Far Eastern Horizons cruise as well.  We've been monitoring the Travel Advisory for Hong Kong and it remains a Level 2 (exercise a high degree on caution).  We took the travel insurance with Viking and rely on their judgement, so we'll see what happens...at least we know if there are problems at the airport with flight cancellations, Viking will take care of it.  Our family & friends are more worried at this point than we are.  For now, we are going to enjoy "In the Wake of the Vikings" starting next week on 9/11.  🙂