Diamond Plus Beverage Discount?

krisean

Hi,

I am sure I have seen this topic addressed but I cannot find it with a quick search.  We are sailing AOTS on October 26.  This will be our first sailing as diamond plus, which gives us the 30% discount off the Drink Package once onboard.  Since I do not know the onboard pricing, I went ahead today and booked the package at $48pp + tax which is the lowest I have seen it since I booked the cruise a week ago or so.

Once onboard, if the price after discount is less than $48pp + tax, will they let me cancel and rebook or refund the difference, etc?  And if they will, is timing an issue..... must I do it immediately before my first cocktail?

TIA,

K

Just now, krisean said:

Hi,

I am sure I have seen this topic addressed but I cannot find it with a quick search.  We are sailing AOTS on October 26.  This will be our first sailing as diamond plus, which gives us the 30% discount off the Drink Package once onboard.  Since I do not know the onboard pricing, I went ahead today and booked the package at $48pp + tax which is the lowest I have seen it since I booked the cruise a week ago or so.

Once onboard, if the price after discount is less than $48pp + tax, will they let me cancel and rebook or refund the difference, etc?  And if they will, is timing an issue..... must I do it immediately before my first cocktail?

TIA,

K

I remember reading on here that a lot of people with D+ don’t pre-purchase their drink package (unless of course the $18pppd drink package happens 😂) and wait until they get onboard and purchase it there. However, if you pre-purchase, you are not allowed to cancel after 48 hours prior your cruise. 

2 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Yes, you will be able to cancel your drink package onboard for OBC.  I would do it before consuming a single drink.

Can that OBC then be used to purchase the drink package with the D+ discount?

12 minutes ago, krisean said:

Hi,

TIA,

K

There is no tax.   It's gratuity.

$48 is around 30% of around $70. So it the package on board is $80 then you're better off.  The pricing for Drink Packages is all over the map.  We are on Harmony in a few weeks (hurricane's willing) and I've seen it as low as $46.  Right now they're showing a "By one get one 50% off" at a price of $52 per person (plus gratuity).  That would put the "onboard price" at about $70. So, at $48 you are right about there at 30% off. 

Sadly they don't have a standard on board price for Drink Packages.  They should make them standard across the fleet instead of manipulating them over and over again to reflect "discounts."  Ahh....Marketing...it's a wonderful thing.  😎

In the last month, based on sale prices and stated discounts, I've noticed the calculated onboard price has increased on pretty much every sailing I have booked that currently has this stuff available for sale (11 sailings between now and the end of 2020). Plus we've seen two reports of RCCL doing something a little crazy onboard -- charging $82 for the first person and $41 for the second -- supposedly representing a real actual buy one get the second at half off -- however the $82 is well above RCCL's previously stated high-end for onboard pricing for the deluxe beverage package. So I think the Diamond+ onboard discount is about to go the way of the Dodo bird -- you just won't be able to count on it anymore. You may get onboard expecting to get a decent price and end up only to find that the onboard price is raised even higher than it was expected based on an earlier sale price.

Anyone who finds this onboard should complain about it to guest services, though. Whether you choose to ultimately buy it or not, this ever-changing onboard pricing is unacceptable. They need to disclose it in order to make claims like X% off when having sales.

Not long back from Med cruise on Oasis and the price was around $96 for the package on a buy 1 get 1 half price deal. After a couple of days it dropped to only $84 on a pp basis.  Seemed really steep to me!  It was a port intensive week so I woudn't imagine many people paying that price.