GEM from NY in Dec

CharmCity2000

I'm already thinking ahead to next year.  This looks like a great option.  I have some questions for people that have left the NE in Winter. 

1.  The ship leaves at 4pm.  Is the muster drill inside or outside?  What do the kids to are first night/day while it's still cold outside?  My kids will be 10 and 13 and have no interest in the kids club.

2. When we've left out of Miami, sometimes we have to wait outside in line to get into the port terminal for embarkation.  Is Port Liberty big enough to get everyone inside or is there a chance that I'll be waiting outside in Dec to get into the terminal?

3.  When do we get to the Miami area or warm weather area?  1.5 days in?  2 days?  I can't tell how fast the ship gets down the east coast.

4.  Can someone confirm that there is a waterslide and rock climbing wall on the ship?  I see them on the deck plans but then some threads say that there is none of that onboard.

Thx

Port Liberty?  It's always been out of the Manhattan cruise terminal unless they changed things.  There is enough space to get everyone inside.  It should be relatively warm by Day 3.  Muster drill is inside.

Of course NYC weather is variable.  You can get a 60 degree day in December, or a blizzard.

I can't help you with "kid things".

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, April42749 said:

Port Liberty?  It's always been out of the Manhattan cruise terminal unless they changed things.  There is enough space to get everyone inside.  It should be relatively warm by Day 3.  Muster drill is inside.

Of course NYC weather is variable.  You can get a 60 degree day in December, or a blizzard.

I can't help you with "kid things".

I am so glad you caught that!  I went back and looked and yes, it seems that the ship leaves from New York, New York.  Would have sucked to have shown up at the wrong port!  Thank you!

You will be leaving from the manhattan cruise terminal, plenty of room inside. It will most likely be cold. All five of my kids LOVED the teen club to make new friends and then ditch us all week, were not thrilled with the younger club but it’s still a good idea to go the first night to try and find friends. Small water slide and rock climbing wall

We cruised on the Gem last March. The cruise terminal is plenty large. They did the sailaway party in The Spinnaker Lounge. The first 1 and a half dayd6 were only warm enough for the hot tubs. But, by day 3 it was nice out and pool/lounger weather. 

I can't help with kids as I don't have any but for adults, I always found enough inside activities. 

The waterside is very sedate! Very dull. But, the ship is beautiful especially The Great Outdoors. 

We liked it so much we are going on another 10 cruise this winter.