Transportation and Hotel Help for cruise

mommypenguin29

There are 4 of us - me, dh, and two teenage kids...We are going out of the Port of Miami for our cruise. We are flying into FLL and home out of MIA - I have some questions that maybe people can help with:

We fly in the night before, is it better to stay in Ft Lauderdale or Miami the night before? What is the best option to get to the port the morning of the cruise? (I have seen talk about SAS, uber and some hotels that offer transportation) We are looking for a hotel around $150 and cheapest option for transportation if possible.

Next is when we get back and need to go to Miami airport - what is the best transportation to use to get there.

Thanks!

> is it better to stay in Ft Lauderdale or Miami the night before? 

Personal choice. The drive from FLL to Miami is around 30-40mins at night. If you are arriving late at night you might prefer to just get a hotel near FLL airport to go right to sleep. Or get in an Uber and head to Miami and get a hotel that is very close to the port in Downtown Miami/Brickell area. 

Either way at some point you'll need to make the FLL-Miami drive. 

The shared shuttles won't be driving from FLL to Miami hotels at night. They will have shuttles from FLL or certain hotels in the morning to Port Miami. A shared shuttle is around $15/pp so you are looking at $60.00 a UberXL from the FLL area to Port Miami/Downtown Miami is around the same price. So I would personally much rather take an UberXL than a shared shuttle. 

Hotels by FLL airport are usually cheaper. Whether you can get something at $150/night depends on what time of year your are coming in. 

Ultimately, its just a personal choice and potentially a the cost savings between staying near FLL or near Port Miami. 

A UberXL from Port Miami area hotels in Downtown/Brickell should cost no more than about $20.00 

Going back to Miami airport, it is a pretty short ride, I think an UberXL is an easy way to go as well. 

Uber or Lyft of course. 

If you are flying in to FLL and just going straight to the hotel and then to bed, I would stay at a hotel right near FLL airport.  Then grab an UberXL direct to PortMiami in the morning.  To get back to MIA after your cruise, either UberXL or a taxi if there is no line.

UberXL - you might squeeze into an Uber Comfort for a little less $ if you pack light (good luck with 2 teens) -- from FLL and nearby hotels to POM or nearby downtown Miami hotels will run about $70+.  Fare for a van cab on the same run will be about the same - I prefer Uber or Lyft.  As mentioned above, when you get into FLL, budget and what you want to do will drive your decision on where to stay.  www.sunny.org has lots of FLL area hotel and tourist info.

Post cruise grab another UberXL or a van taxi to MIA - the ride takes about 15-20+ minutes and the flat rate cab fare is $27+tip (UberXL will be about the same).