How is the Majesty?

2nd oldest ship in the fleet (29+ years old), won't have many of the amenities of the newer ships but she's a fine vessel.  For eats outside of MDR and Windjammer there is Sorrento's and Johnny Rockets plus a Café Latte-tudes for coffee.  No wave rider or rock wall either.

• Thanks 1

We were on Majesty at the end of August.  We are starting to develop an affinity for these smaller, older ships.  Of note, for us on this trip, was the excellent bar service on the pool deck and in the Schooner bar.  Never an empty glass.  The piano entertainer in the Schooner, Eric August, was top notch.  We always enjoy a good piano bar experience and it can be hit or miss on Royal.  It was a bullseye on Majesty.

Have a great cruise!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, tullers said:

2nd oldest ship in the fleet (29+ years old), won't have many of the amenities of the newer ships but she's a fine vessel.  For eats outside of MDR and Windjammer there is Sorrento's and Johnny Rockets plus a Café Latte-tudes for coffee.  No wave rider or rock wall either.

There's definitely a rock wall on Deck 12 aft of the Viking Crown. There's also the Compass Deli in the same general area as Sorrento's and Johnny Rocket's and that was one of me and my wife's favorite places when we were onboard Majesty.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, garnetpalmetto said:

There's definitely a rock wall on Deck 12 aft of the Viking Crown. There's also the Compass Deli in the same general area as Sorrento's and Johnny Rocket's and that was one of me and my wife's favorite places when we were onboard Majesty.

Took the words out of my mouth -- watched people on the rock wall from the Viking Crown Lounge, and got snacks from the Compass Deli (forward of Sorrentos).

I just got off Majesty this morning.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My recent experience here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2689437-the-magic-of-majesty-august-19-2019-5-nights-bahamas/

The Sovereign class expanded on the foundation and has roots in what Royal has become today.  If it weren't for the success of this class back in the day Royal wouldn't be what it has become. 

No speciality dining restaurants such as Chops and it has a unique split level design which requires you think before simply starting to go somewhere but once you get used to it that becomes second nature.  

Unlike Empress which received a lot of TLC when it came back into the fleet, Majesty appears dated in many places but if you overlook that she can provide a great classic cruise experience.  Small ship entertainment so no Broadway style theater show.     

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Unlike Empress which received a lot of TLC when it came back into the fleet, Majesty appears dated in many places but if you overlook that she can provide a great classic cruise experience.  Small ship entertainment so no Broadway style theater show.     

Both Majesty and Jewel got shortchanged when Royal had to replace all the kitchens on Empress.

38 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Both Majesty and Jewel got shortchanged when Royal had to replace all the kitchens on Empress.

I asked about that on the galley tour and the chef said not everything got replaced. I was surprised with that answer

2 hours ago, twangster said:

No speciality dining restaurants such as Chops and it has a unique split level design which requires you think before simply starting to go somewhere but once you get used to it that becomes second nature.  

I never got used to it. 😉

Over a dozen sailings between the three sisters. 

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 1

We sailed Majesty in April and didn't find the Compass Deli until the second day - it's hidden behind Sorrento's, but for us that meant we never had a crowd, and they had great sandwiches!  As for dinner in the MDR, we usually try to get a table for 2 but that's impossible on this ship, but we enjoyed our time with our table mates, and the food was very good.  Definitely a different experience than the bigger ships, but we loved it.

6 hours ago, twangster said:

4 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I never got used to it. 😉

Over a dozen sailings between the three sisters. 

OMG, I spent quite a bit of time in the evenings explaining to drunk people how they had to go up or down, then through the Schooner or Boleros, and then up or down again to get to where they were going.  

And the Centrum elevator just messed EVERYONE up!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, brillohead said:

OMG, I spent quite a bit of time in the evenings explaining to drunk people how they had to go up or down, then through the Schooner or Boleros, and then up or down again to get to where they were going.  

And the Centrum elevator just messed EVERYONE up!

Never, ever, touch the rail in there. 

Ever

• Haha 1

We are just off Majesty (on during Dorian).  Going to preface with statement our history is mostly Oasis-class and Freedom-class, with one Vision trip.

Majesty does tend to show its age if you are looking for it.  There is some rust, there is some dated design, etc.  But since I wasn't looking for it, none of that affected our enjoyment of our cruise.  Staff was OVER THE TOP. 

One advantage I found is the only specialty restaurant is Chef's Table.  So, they didn't seem to have too much to walk around and do the pressure sales pitch, except for Sushi Making.

I would highly suggest taking something like a "Hug-a-Plug" (look on Amazon).  It is a three pronged splitter.  Best $8 gadget we've taken on a cruise, other than the towel clips.  Our two prong items would NOT stay plugged in.  Yes, I know, bend the plugs.  But, I don't like doing that with my chargers, etc.  The Hug-a-Plug stayed in nicely and gave us an extra plug.  Probably going our cruise box permanently.  

Personally (and these aren't "condition" items), we prefer more places for shade and definitely missed the Solarium on Freedom-class.  But, that has nothing to do with her condition.  

Can't speak much to kid activity or sport area.  Not our cup of tea.

We'd have no concerns sailing on Majesty again.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, shellunderwater said:

I would highly suggest taking something like a "Hug-a-Plug" (look on Amazon).  It is a three pronged splitter.  Best $8 gadget we've taken on a cruise, other than the towel clips.  Our two prong items would NOT stay plugged in.  Yes, I know, bend the plugs.  But, I don't like doing that with my chargers, etc.  The Hug-a-Plug stayed in nicely and gave us an extra plug.  Probably going our cruise box permanently.  

I didn't have this problem in my room, but two others mentioned it, so I think it's pretty common on this ship (I was on the same week as you).  You have to figure, with as old as this ship is, and with as many times as things have been plugged in and yanked out of those outlets, it's not surprising that they're worn out.  I am surprised, though, that they don't replace them -- it must not be a fire hazard, just a customer annoyance.

I take along a dual USB port and three-prong plug combo when I cruise -- like this one.  I can plug in my phone and my Kindle to charge and only have to bring along the cables, not the block part that goes into the wall socket.  Plus I still have a regular outlet to plug my fan or laptop in.  It helps to reduce the amount of crap I have to carry (I'm a horrid overpacker in the first place!), and I don't lose an outlet while I'm charging two electronic items.  

11 hours ago, brillohead said:

I didn't have this problem in my room, but two others mentioned it, so I think it's pretty common on this ship (I was on the same week as you).  You have to figure, with as old as this ship is, and with as many times as things have been plugged in and yanked out of those outlets, it's not surprising that they're worn out.  I am surprised, though, that they don't replace them -- it must not be a fire hazard, just a customer annoyance.

I think the key thing is the ground prong.  Both of our items show 3 prongs.  Two prong items that you can't bend enough don't seem to want to stay in, but the ground prong seems to either be tighter or provides enough support for the plug. 

The ship provided orange extension cord was 3 prong, and it stayed in pretty well also.

I have the Belkin USB and 3 plug strip, but it says "Surge Protection" so I don't bring it anymore.  I use a Ank 5-port USB QC charger at home, and pack it for longer cruises.  

23 hours ago, BayAreaCruisers said:

We sailed Majesty in April and didn't find the Compass Deli until the second day - it's hidden behind Sorrento's, but for us that meant we never had a crowd, and they had great sandwiches!  As for dinner in the MDR, we usually try to get a table for 2 but that's impossible on this ship, but we enjoyed our time with our table mates, and the food was very good.  Definitely a different experience than the bigger ships, but we loved it.

Please tell me more about Compass Deli. Are all of the sandwiches pre-made, or can you make requests?  At the very least, are the paninis made to order?  Any idea of the hours it is open?

We have never cruised RCCL, and we are going on a family reunion cruise on Majesty of the Seas in June 2020.  I'm trying to read as much as I can ahead of time, because I know that my elderly parents will be expecting me to answer their many questions.

Thank you!