Question About Seasick

JJ Jacqueline

1. Believe it or not, a lot of seasickness is in your head. True, some people are hypersensative to motion but way more get it in their mind they will be sick and guess what? They succeed. Seasickness as such is one's reaction to the vertigo they experience as the balance parts of the inner ear get worked a bit more than normal.....technical enuf? The best prevention is to stay active and not focus on it. I was never sea sick when I was busy, but if you sit down and think about it, things go down hill fast.

2. There are several over the counter, and prescription meds. Pills are easy but note: you MUST take the pills b4 you feel bad....if you already have trouble the pills will not help. So why not just 'pill up' early and be safe? Cuz a common side effect of the pills is drowsiness - oh yea, don't drink while taking them either. Many folks love the 'scope' patch. This looks like a little round bandaide behind the ear and time releases a drug to help (note, all the drugs are essentially dulling down those balance circuits in the inner ear.....) Common side effect of the patch is dry mouth, and drowsy, and that booze thing still applies.

3. Some claim great success from ginger ... searh the boards here... And there are various other remedies like wrist bands that do a pressure thing, and even an electric wrist band that charges you up. Different strokes for different folks.

4. Most people who feel a bit poor the first day will adjust if you can give it time. It is just your body getting used to the new work the inner ear is doing. 99 folks out of 100 adjust. That 1 of 100 who can't adjust tho....well, being a sailor is not a recommended occupation. While in the adjustment period - try to look at the horizon. Keeping the eyes focused on something that is not moving can help the brain adjust. And try to keep something in the stomach.....dry heaves are no fun and I do not recommend booze! Sleep helps too...during your sleep, your body will adjust w/out reminding your stomach

best recommendation - forget about it....

p.s. did you see the TV show 'Myth Busters' when they tested several theories?????

Might not work for everyone, but we just returned from the Rhapsody of the Seas 2 weeks ago. There were several on our cruise experiencing seasickness one morning (rough seas). 2 of them were our partners in Trivia that morning and they looked pretty "green". They each took 2 bonine (she had just purchased some in the stores on the ship) and within 15 to 20 mins - both said they were feeling MUCH better and they looked better too!! So, it may work AFTER the fact as well!!

Hi

What DW and DS do to prevent any problems is they start taking Bonnine (less drowsy fomumla) the day before we leave in the moring with their daily vitamins and they continue doing it untill we get home. Last year we were on the Zaandam in very rough seas (12' to 15' seas) and they did not have a problem.

Take your Bonnine and enjoy your cruise:D because if it starts and gets bad you will see the ships doctor and he will give you a shot and put you to bed for 24 hours:confused:

Hi

What DW and DS do to prevent any problems is they start taking Bonnine (less drowsy fomumla) the day before we leave in the moring with their daily vitamins and they continue doing it untill we get home. Last year we were on the Zaandam in very rough seas (12' to 15' seas) and they did not have a problem.

Take your Bonnine and enjoy your cruise:D because if it starts and gets bad you will see the ships doctor and he will give you a shot and put you to bed for 24 hours:confused:

Last time I was seasick we were deepsea fishing on a smaller boat in the Gulf of Mexico. The cruise ships we've been on all have stabilizers and are amazingly stable. We've never had a problem on a cruise ship. Hope our luck in this regard continues.

I've never been really seasick and I can't stand the side effects from the normal remedies (drowsy, etc). Also, on this next cruise (Tahiti) I'm planning alot of diving and seasick remedies and nitrogen narcosis are not good partners.

I like the dry land remedy! :p Divers also know that nearly as effective is to get below the waves, probably won't help you much on the ship.

I drink ginger ale and bitters, mostly because I like it. But, 2 cruises ago we were in some seas on the North Atlantic and when I asked for it, the bartender asked if I was feeling bad. I wasn't , but was still surprised at the question. He said the crew was drinking soda/ginger ale and bitters because the seas were getting to them, settles the stomach so they can still work. But he never remembered a passenger asking for bitters!

I'm not sure anyone mentioned this, but if possible dont lie down! Put's your ineer ear in more of an unusual position, moving while lying down. At least standing, your brain expects to be moving.

I have read some article saying that Acupressure, on the nei kuan or precordial #6 position on the inside of the wrist, prevents nausea in many people. There are some elastic wristbands with plastic beads pressing on the wrist appearing in the market for this purpose. Some information mentions that electronic devices that resemble a wristwatch and send mild, user-variable, electric current into the wrist (at the nei kuan position) may prevent seasickness or stop it after it has begun. I would like to know if the aforesaid information useful. Tks.:)

At the 1st breakfast of our 1st cruise some seasoned cruisers told us, "keep your stomach full". It worked. I was feeling iffy one morning, went to breakfast and ate good. I was fine after that. Maybe that's why the ship serves so much food. Oh yeah we were on a 27,000 ton ship, not the huge babies we have now.

There seems to be lots of questions on over the counter medications taken to prevent motion sickness, nausea and vomiting. I did a little research on the two most popular over the counter formulations; Dramamine Original and Dramamine Less Drowsy, Bonine and Meclizine HCL and offer the following. I am not a doctor or pharmacist. I just looked up the information on the internet.

Dramamine Original

Average cost: $4 for 12 pills

Active ingredient: 50mg Dimenhydrinate

Drug class: Antihistamine

Uses:

Reduces allergic symptoms such as hay fever, hives, rash or itching;

Prevents motion sickness, nausea, vomiting;

Relieves symptoms associated with the common cold;

Induces sleep.

What the drug does:

Blocks action of histamine after an allergic response triggers histamine release in sensitive cells. Histamines cause itching, sneezing, runny nose and eyes and other symptoms.

Appears to work in the vomiting center of the brain to control nausea and vomiting and help prevent motion sickness.

Skin and Sunlight: May cause rash or intensify sunburn in areas exposed to the sun.

Dramamine Less Drowsy, Bonine and Meclizine HCL

Average cost:

Dramamine Less Drowsy: $4 for 8 Pills

Bonine: $7 for 16 pills

Meclizine HCL: $7 for 100 pills

Active Ingredient in all three: 25mg Meclizine Hydrocloride

Drug class: Antiemetic, antihistamine, anti-motion sickness.

Uses: Prevents motion sickness and treatment for Vertigo.

What the drug does:

Reduces sensitivity of nerve endings in inner ear and blocks messages to brain’s vomiting center.

Skin and sunlight: No problems expected.

As you can see, Dramamine Less Drowsy, Bonine and Meclizine HCL are identical. You are paying for the “Brand” name. Buying the generic Meclizine HCL will save you a whole bunch of money.

Everyone has mentioned a lot of really great tips! I have only been seasick/nauseated on one cruise (the 22,000 ton Carnivale - Crossing the current on the way down to the Bahamas...ugh) I didn't know anything on that cruise...so hubby and I stayed in our cabin at the very tippy tippy rockin' and rollin' front of the ship in Cabin U1A. BAD IDEA!! Missed dinner that night and wasn't a good way to start out the honeymoon! (And yes, your brain can play wild tricks on you - I was freaked out that first time when I cruised cuz we were in something that looked like a building...yet it was moving...didn't sit too well in the brain!!)

I'm not sure anyone mentioned this, but if possible dont lie down! Put's your ineer ear in more of an unusual position, moving while lying down. At least standing, your brain expects to be moving.

The above is excellent advice as well!! But with that, I will add...go up to the Lido deck and get fresh air!!! Fresh air really really helps!!!

We did that last cruise with the kids. My son and middle daughter had gotten sick - we got them all changed in to their jammies, brought their blankets up to the Lido deck, pulled down some chairs and sat out there (center ship) until they became sleepy enough to go back to the room and fall right to sleep! They were fine from then on!!

As everyone has said, keep your stomach full, if you want to try medicine, start it before you leave for your cruise. Ginger gets rave reviews on here! If you haven't booked your cabin yet, go for a center of the ship cabin...less movement!

Good luck! I am sure you'll be fine!!

Everyone has mentioned a lot of really great tips! I have only been seasick/nauseated on one cruise (the 22,000 ton Carnivale - Crossing the current on the way down to the Bahamas...ugh) I didn't know anything on that cruise...so hubby and I stayed in our cabin at the very tippy tippy rockin' and rollin' front of the ship in Cabin U1A. BAD IDEA!! Missed dinner that night and wasn't a good way to start out the honeymoon! (And yes, your brain can play wild tricks on you - I was freaked out that first time when I cruised cuz we were in something that looked like a building...yet it was moving...didn't sit too well in the brain!!)

The above is excellent advice as well!! But with that, I will add...go up to the Lido deck and get fresh air!!! Fresh air really really helps!!!

We did that last cruise with the kids. My son and middle daughter had gotten sick - we got them all changed in to their jammies, brought their blankets up to the Lido deck, pulled down some chairs and sat out there (center ship) until they became sleepy enough to go back to the room and fall right to sleep! They were fine from then on!!

As everyone has said, keep your stomach full, if you want to try medicine, start it before you leave for your cruise. Ginger gets rave reviews on here! If you haven't booked your cabin yet, go for a center of the ship cabin...less movement!

Good luck! I am sure you'll be fine!!

I will 2nd the going out on the deck for fresh air when feeling ill.. dark or light just get the air.. seems to give you your bearings.. hard to explain but really it works!!:)

I have noted from many recommendations ginger can be effective! Did anyone try and any comment? :)

I use the ginger pills and they seem to be effective. I took a less drowsy form of dramamine but I seemed to be tired all the time so I quit taking it and just stuck to the ginger capsules. We had gale force winds and 18 ft seas on the last day and I never got sick. However, when I got home I felt woozy for about 2 days and I took the ginger pills with my meals.

I always carry them with me as they seemt to help.

Mythbusters did a show on seasickness, and they tested pills, bands, etc. Turns out that a lot of it IS in your head. An assistant took a placebo and didn' get sick, but Adam got sick with just about everything. Which one worked the best?

*drum roll please*

GINGER!! More effective than any over-the-counter meds or remedies.

Can anyone tell me where can I purchase the wrist bands? Will a wrist band be effective? Tks. :)

I bought my bands in Boots, they do two sizes so check which you will need. They were in the travel section.

They work for me, tried pills which made me very sleepy. I get sick looking at the sea! I put the bands on for the first 4 days, then only when it got rough. I never felt ill. ( mind you they looked slightly funny with the evening dress! but you could leave them off for dinner)

Jo

Archived