Maho Beach - Sunset Bar and Grill

cooncat

Hi folks, I have been looking at the webcams from Sunset Beach for some time.  I have noticed the beach is covered with big boulders. Is this something new and what is the purpose of those boulders?  Is this beach still popular as it once was before the hurricanes of 2017 and cancellation of the KLM 747?  Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I was just looking at the Sunset Bar and Grill website and it looks like there are more man place boulders on the beach.  I wonder if the climate change and melting Artic is raising the seas and the beach.  It this beach still a big attraction since there is no beach anymore?  I noticed there are no more beach chairs.  Is the Sunset Bar and Grill still open?

14 hours ago, cooncat said:

I was just looking at the Sunset Bar and Grill website and it looks like there are more man place boulders on the beach.  I wonder if the climate change and melting Artic is raising the seas and the beach.  It this beach still a big attraction since there is no beach anymore?  I noticed there are no more beach chairs.  Is the Sunset Bar and Grill still open?

Yes they are open.  It is also the end of "off season" so there won't be that many people there for another month or so.  But if you look at the camera today the chairs are in the corner of the picture.  Where are they going to put them?  Those boulders are showing because of all the sand that was washed away from the most recent TS that brushed by and brought the giant waves in.  The beach was starting to finally fill back in a couple of weeks ago too.  

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Ashland said:

Who are the "they" you speak of ????

I think the "they" they speak of is the work crews who have been clearing the sand off the road periodically in the past couple of weeks as the ocean keeps bringing it back.  It's quite amazing the difference a few days can make in the amount of sand back on the beach. 

I just wonder if the boulders were removed from the beach for the winter season.  It just looks that way to me.  Even if the crews were to put the sand back from the road, the beach wouldn't be that smooth.

On 11/7/2019 at 2:02 PM, cooncat said:

I just wonder if the boulders were removed from the beach for the winter season.  It just looks that way to me.  Even if the crews were to put the sand back from the road, the beach wouldn't be that smooth.

No the boulders were not removed

• Like 1