Suggestion on things to do in Walvis Bay, Namibia??

Kiwi_cruiser

We have never been to Walvis Bay, Namibia before.

I was wondering would you recommend doing here for the day??

If you have been to Walvis Bay, before, what things did you do there for the day??

Also does the cruise ships dock near the town? or do we dock a long way from it?

Any ideas / suggestions are very welcome 😎

There's not a lot to see in Walvis Bay itself except for the birdlife at the wonderful lagoon which is well known for flocks of flamingos.

Swakopmund is about a half hour drive up the coast and is a more interesting town. The drive there is an incredible journey in itself as you are wedged between the coastline and the sand dunes.

The dunes of the Namib Desert are the reason the ships stop at Walvis Bay and a 4x4 journey into the dunes including Dune 7 which is the largest around here, the moon landscape and the Sawkop River Valley is a must. They also call this a Living Desert because of the many snakes and lizards!

If your ship is stopping overnight you might like to take a trip down to Souselvei to see the massive Star Dunes. The whole Skeleton Coast is a great experience and you'll have an amazing time whatever you decide.  We travelled through Namibia by road so I don't know where the ships dock, sorry.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

We were in Walvis Bay in May 2015 on a Princess cruise. My DH and I did the ship’s tour and had a wonderful time. I can’t imagine that too much has changed in the last 4 years.

Below is my diary entry for the tour plus some short notes on Walvis Bay itself.

THE WALVIS BAY WILD LIFE CRUISE.
We left the ship at 08.15 by coach for the 10 minute drive to the boat dock and this is where my heart sank as it was right in the middle of the fish processing area and so the smell was awful. There were clean toilets and a tiny office area with a seat but that was about it.
The boats were small, semi-covered, fast game fishing style vessels which held 10/15 passengers.
There was no jetty so the tour boat firm had a narrow, extendable walk-way out from the mud flats and there were people to help you move along it.

Once on board our pilot and guide, Ruen (he had a great sense of humour) showed us that there was a toilet on board (small but adequate) and explained the safety rules before we set off across the bay.

This was where things improved and the fun began. Ruen stopped the boat in several places and we got very 'up close and personal' with pelicans, seals, dolphins and flamingos as well as many other sea birds and the sand dunes along the Namibian coast.
At times, the boat went very fast so it was a bumpy ride and sometimes I had to cling very tightly to the rail to stop myself bouncing off my seat but it was so exciting and exhilarating!

Ruen stopped the boat for 30 minutes by a sandbar and served sparkling wine, freshly shucked oysters and a variety of nibbles. Soft drinks and beer were offered throughout the trip.

We saw a lot and learned a lot so, despite the unpromising start we all had a great time. Hopefully, in years to come, the company will build a proper floating dock away from the fish processing plant and then the whole experience will be as great as the middle bit!

We were very glad that we had our fleeces and waterproof coats as it was very cold when we were moving and the spray was splashing over the sides.

It was a wonderful trip and well worth the money although I know a lot of people complained about the dock area.

WALVIS BAY.
The port is huge and very industrial.
There was a free shuttle to the port gate where there was a small craft market.
There were taxis available on the dock.
The town is larger and seems more prosperous than Luderitz with wide streets and good quality, modern housing.
The town centre is a good 20 minute walk from the port gate.
There are a couple of shopping malls and supermarkets.
The majority of shops are closed on Saturday afternoon and all day on Sunday.
There is a large lagoon just outside the town with a pleasant promenade.

African Adventure May 15 Izzy 3 395.JPG

IMG_2890.JPG

IMG_9219.JPG

IMG_9223.JPG

IMG_2848.JPG

IMG_2985.JPG

• Like 2

• 1 month later...