American Airlines Schedule Change Alert

hightownCO

Just went in to check pricing on my STL/FLL MIA/STL flights for 4/8-4/16. Saw that my St. Louis to FLL 7am N/S flight was not showing on the schedule at all. Sure enough it's gone. We're now on an afternoon flight that's fine with us since we're not sailing till Sunday, 4/9.

Don't know if there are other schedule changes going on but folks might want to check to make sure of their flights and times.

Oh and the price.....over 950 PER PERSON for the flights I have! :eek:

Just seven weeks out from our flight and they changed times and aircraft; of course, our seats were shifted to the back of the plane. Was able to move us back up to our original seats, but you have to keep checking on these flights!

Good luck!

Kel

Don't know if there are other schedule changes going on but folks might want to check to make sure of their flights and times.

This is good advice for all airlines, as airlines are constantly changing their schedules.

While I primarily fly American Airlines and think they do a good job this is an area that they are weak in. I have encountered these flight changes quite a bit over the last year and the only way I know about them is checking on line. They should have a program that automatically sends you an e mail of these changes, even if you don't sign up for automatic alerts, and if you don't provide an e mail they should have a program set up to automatically call you at home to say there has been a change and to tell you to either call them for details or to check the web site.

Keith

While I primarily fly American Airlines and think they do a good job this is an area that they are weak in. I have encountered these flight changes quite a bit over the last year and the only way I know about them is checking on line. They should have a program that automatically sends you an e mail of these changes, even if you don't sign up for automatic alerts, and if you don't provide an e mail they should have a program set up to automatically call you at home to say there has been a change and to tell you to either call them for details or to check the web site.

Keith

AA has just such a program. Will even send the alerts to your cell or PDA. Just have to enter the info in your profile or the other option, sign up for the alerts. I don't know why you would be opposed to signing up for the status info when you book your ticket. If you booked at Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, etc. you only have to go to "my reservations" at AA.com (may have to enter the record locater number) and tick the box and you will get automatic alerts.

I received an email this morning notifying me of changes made to our upcoming flights. I didn't even know I had signed up for it, I just check the site regularly. :)

We originally had a flight scheduled to leave Miami at 2:06 and we'd eventually be home (Phoenix) at 8:58. They've now have us scheduled to leave Miami at 3:12 and arrive in Phoenix at 9:05.

I just searched flights on that day and there's a flight that leaves Miami at 1:41 and arrives in Phoenix at 6:40. If I were to switch it to that flight, would that be pushing it too much in Miami...in your opinion? I'd love to get home to our girls earlier than later. It's our first time away from them and we have a 2 hour drive from the airport to get home.

Thanks!

I received an email this morning notifying me of changes made to our upcoming flights. I didn't even know I had signed up for it, I just check the site regularly. :)

We originally had a flight scheduled to leave Miami at 2:06 and we'd eventually be home (Phoenix) at 8:58. They've now have us scheduled to leave Miami at 3:12 and arrive in Phoenix at 9:05.

I just searched flights on that day and there's a flight that leaves Miami at 1:41 and arrives in Phoenix at 6:40. If I were to switch it to that flight, would that be pushing it too much in Miami...in your opinion? I'd love to get home to our girls earlier than later. It's our first time away from them and we have a 2 hour drive from the airport to get home.

Thanks!

To switch flights, you would have to pay the change fee (could be $100.00) and any difference in what you paid and what the flight you want to take costs. Could be a lot of money.

Best advice: If you are at the airport early enough to check in for the earlier flight (at least one hour before BOARDING), see about flying standby. IF space is available, AA will usually let you board.

By the way, did you decide to stay at the Crowne Plaza?

Hi greatam! :)

When AA changed my flights a few months ago they gave me a flight that allowed me 20 minutes to change planes & terminals in DFW. I called and they changed my flights completely, giving me a great new schedule at no charge. The AA representative told me at that time that whenever THEY change someone's flights we're entitled to make a change free of charge one time per change. According to what she told me, I should be able to make a change without any penalty or fee because they changed our flights.

However, after thinking about it though....I think I'll just keep the change they gave us. I don't really want to worry about whether or not we'll make our flight home the whole trip. Plus, the planes are really filling up so our seats would be less than desirable. Right now, we're very happy with our seats.

As for Crowne Plaza...we called to make our reservations and it ended up costing close to $165 for one night (including parking for the week). We decided to try Priceline and got the Radisson for one night for $43 plus taxes. It will cost us about $35 to park at one of the airport lots (with a coupon we found). So, we got both for under $100 by doing it that way. We got lucky though. Priceline is hit and miss lately.

Another note on the Crowne Plaza...I called their toll free number and spoke to a woman about reservations as well. Because of my husband's job (with the government) they offered a substantial discount. That discount was hotel only, no parking. But...had we not needed parking it would have been a great deal. So, if you have a job that you think might qualify for a discount, ask. She was very friendly and helpful. :)

Best advice: If you are at the airport early enough to check in for the earlier flight (at least one hour before BOARDING), see about flying standby. IF space is available, AA will usually let you board.

Question about this...

Our flight out of Miami takes us to Chicago to change planes. If we get an earlier flight out on stand by and it takes us to DFW, what happens there since our connecting flight to PHX is in Chicago?

Does that make sense? lol

AA has just such a program. Will even send the alerts to your cell or PDA. Just have to enter the info in your profile or the other option, sign up for the alerts. I don't know why you would be opposed to signing up for the status info when you book your ticket. If you booked at Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, etc. you only have to go to "my reservations" at AA.com (may have to enter the record locater number) and tick the box and you will get automatic alerts.

For what it's worth I am an American Airlines Platinum Member and no one has ever explained this to me. When I make reservations on line I did notice that they had a field for notification but because it said Text Message I only assumed that it was for the cell phone and I don't use that capability. I finally just looked and had to click on one of the areas to see that the text message could have been sent to the e mail address. And, I have mentioned this to reservation agents over the years in terms of not getting notification and no one ever explained to me how this works.

Understand that I am a very loyal American Airlines flyer, but it seems to me that in the various publications that I get from American Airlines over the years that they could highlight this feature and also when I've spoken to the various reservation agents over the years seems like the could have done the same.

Keith

Also, how do I add flight notification to those flights I booked on the telephone with a American Airlines reservationist as those flights are not listed under my profile on the American Airlines web site?

Keith

To try to answer both your questons:

I would have no idea why AA reservations agents would not tell you about this feature. It's been around for at least 2+ years that I know of. As they say in most of the airline industry, if you don't like the answer or don't get the answer you are looking for, call back and get a different agent. LOL

Phone reservations

You have a record locater number, correct? After you log into your account, just go to the "my reservations" tab and put the number in. It should bring up the reservation. Then you can input the info you need for flight status. If for some reason the flight doesn't come up, call the PLT desk and ask them to load it. Happens once in a while-I suppose the phone agent takes another call and doesn't COMPLETELY finish the previous call.

From one very loyal AA flyer (EXP) to another.

Question about this...

Our flight out of Miami takes us to Chicago to change planes. If we get an earlier flight out on stand by and it takes us to DFW, what happens there since our connecting flight to PHX is in Chicago?

Does that make sense? lol

They will NOT put you on a standby basis through Dallas unless there is also room to get you to Phoenix on a connection. And your NEW flight has NOT changed enough to allow a free change-generally the "rules" state it must be at least a 20 minute change to DESTINATION, although this is open to debate and exactly which agent is making the decision.

Your new flight is only arriving 7 minutes later than your old flight. So I guess the question becomes-where do you want to spend your time-in Miami or in transit at an airport. I think I would take Miami. Get off the ship, wander around town, THEN go check in at the airport. Makes getting off the ship much easier-in fact, be the last one off.

Send me the flight numbers you are CURRENTLY booked on and I will check our company databases to see how full the earlier flights are.

Also, how do I add flight notification to those flights I booked on the telephone with a American Airlines reservationist as those flights are not listed under my profile on the American Airlines web site?

Keith

You should be able to look up those flights and add them to your Profile. I did that last night with my flights to San Juan.

They will NOT put you on a standby basis through Dallas unless there is also room to get you to Phoenix on a connection. And your NEW flight has NOT changed enough to allow a free change-generally the "rules" state it must be at least a 20 minute change to DESTINATION, although this is open to debate and exactly which agent is making the decision.

lol, good thing I don't believe everything I hear. I take most things with a grain of salt. I had already decided to keep what they gave us, but you just reassured me that it's a fine change! ;) Thanks greatam!

wrp96, off topic but good luck on your bar exam! Two weeks! Let us know the outcome! :)

They are supposed to call you. Whatever number you gave at the time of booking, they will call that number. AA changed had a schedule change which affected my reservation and they immediately left a message on my voicemail.

You know in all my years flying American they have never called me and they have my number. Great to hear that they called you but whether it's changes to International flights or domestic flights, I've never gotten a call. Anyhow, now that I understand how to set up the notication on their web stite I will use that going forward. I've just completed it for flights that we've booked on the internet and I will now attempt to do it for flights that we have booked through the reservation center.

Keith

wrp96, off topic but good luck on your bar exam! Two weeks! Let us know the outcome! :)

Thanks, no matter what I will be cruising on the Brilliance the day after I finish (and flying American).

Back on topic, American called me at 11:30pm a couple of years ago to let me know they had cancelled my (very early) connection to San Diego. With me on hold with AA on my land line, I called my family on my cell phone who called my brother and SIL who we were going to San Diego to see, and we were all searching on the internet to find alternate flights. We finally had to tell American that they were paying for first class seats on Delta through Atlanta because getting into San Diego 14 hours later than we were supposed to was NOT an option (we would've missed my SIL's college graduation). Suddenly when we pointed out the available 1st class seats, coach seats "opened up" on a Delta flight from DFW to San Diego.

Although, I have to give kudos to the AA agent in Miami who got me home the same day (in business class no less) after I missed my flight last January (don't book flights before noon).

Archived