NCL shuttle from MIA to port

Albinroo

Has anyone taken the NCL transportation from Miami airport to the cruise port? We will be travelling 6 people including 3 kids so we can't take an uber and renting a car feels like a big hassle. However, I am now wondering if there are any pro's in using the ncl buses rather than booking a private shuttle/car service. Such as, do you check the bags directly in the iarport and thereby not having to carry them around in port before boarding? 

If anyone has any good suggestions for a Miami hotel when travelling with kids, that would be appreciated. We will only have 1 day in Miami before the cruise, so at first we booked the Intercontinental downtown but since our kids are very young and we'll all be jetlagged, I am thinking it will be easier just staying in a hotel close to the airport...

On my first NCL cruise in January 2018, I had some OBC, so I signed up for the shuttle. I'm mobility challenged and when the wheelchair pusher dropped me off in front of the terminal, there was a massive line for the shuttle. He told me it would be at least an hour wait. I can't stand for that long, so I hobbled across the street to the taxi stand. Even by myself, the taxi was only a few dollars more than the shuttle. Especially with a group of young kids, I wouldn't want to wait in a long line for the shuttle.

I love the Marriott Residence Inn by the airport. It's a nice hotel and in a little gated community with other Marriott properties. They have a paid shuttle to the port.

I really like the Aloft Hotels (Marriott Brand) in and around Miami.  I've stayed in the one in Coral Gables and the one on Brickell.  Both were good, clean, and relatively inexpensive.  Not much in the way of frills, but easy access and the crews who work there have been wonderful.

I've only done NCL's transportation out of NYC, twice.  Not exactly punctual and not exactly friendly.  I think NCL subs out their transportation to the lowest bidders.  Personally, I wouldn't recommend them.

I've used these folks before.  On-time, efficient and good value....

https://www.supershuttle.com/locations/miami-mia/

If you are travelling in the day before, were you planning on going back to the airport from your hotel and then to the port? That just seems like a huge hassle. With that many people, you are likely not to save much money (or any) if you use NCL's shuttle. 

Look into shared shuttles or car services. In the past, we've mainly used a car service to get from FLL to our hotel and then from the port to the airport. We use a taxi or Uber to get from the hotel to the port. Costs are reasonable for us -- about $100 for a private car and $15/person for a shared shuttle). We stay in Brickell and the trip to the port is less than $25. 

If you can split people into two vehicles, that might work out for you.

The Florida departures board has a lot of information that should help you. 

Keep in mind their are 3 small children and it's unlikely that shuttles will have car seats.  The NCL shuttles will be full size buses and car seats won't be required.  So I would suggest staying at a hotel by the airport and taking the NCL shuttle the next day unless you're bringing car seats with you to use.  

10 hours ago, Albinroo said:

Has anyone taken the NCL transportation from Miami airport to the cruise port? We will be travelling 6 people including 3 kids so we can't take an uber and renting a car feels like a big hassle. However, I am now wondering if there are any pro's in using the ncl buses rather than booking a private shuttle/car service. Such as, do you check the bags directly in the iarport and thereby not having to carry them around in port before boarding? 

If anyone has any good suggestions for a Miami hotel when travelling with kids, that would be appreciated. We will only have 1 day in Miami before the cruise, so at first we booked the Intercontinental downtown but since our kids are very young and we'll all be jetlagged, I am thinking it will be easier just staying in a hotel close to the airport...

Two fixed price taxis would be a lot cheaper than the NCL transfer. Or if your luggage fits, one minivan taxi (prob too much luggage).