Help what to do for 6 hours before flt out of Newark

Gabcruiser

I am assuming you are disembarking at the Manhattan Cruise Port. If so, drop off you luggage at Schwartz Luggage at 357 West 37th street and enjoy mid-town Manhattan. But, suggest leaving for EWR sooner than you plan because of traffic conditions .... especially on weekdays. 

As Noxequifans said if you were already in Manhattan then the choice would be easy as they pointed out.  But as you are arriving in NJ....I would probably just be one of the last off the ship then head to the airport. Security can be a bit long sometimes and you really don't have much time to sightsee before your flight. I would just get to EWR and check in and then find a nice place to relax and grab a bite to eat.  By the time you get to the airport, checked in and through security the remaining time will go pretty quickly.

Have to agree with TruckerDave.  If you arriving in Bayonne, by the time you get into Manhattan and allow for time to get back to Newark Airport, you're not going to have a lot of time to see/do anything.  And with the cost of  getting to/from....Just not enough bang for the buck to make it a worthwhile experience. Not to mention the fact of what to do with your luggage.

Edited by marco

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2019 at 6:03 AM, Noxequifans said:

I am assuming you are disembarking at the Manhattan Cruise Port. If so, drop off you luggage at Schwartz Luggage at 357 West 37th street and enjoy mid-town Manhattan. But, suggest leaving for EWR sooner than you plan because of traffic conditions .... especially on weekdays. 

I have seen several mentions of this luggage storage place, but I’m still confused. My maps app shows it’s about a mile from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal and, oddly enough, it takes about a half hour to drive, and an equal time to walk! What to do?

Our Newark flight is at 4:00, so we don’t have much time. I had this idea we could walk down to the Intrepid Museum and stash the luggage at a hotel, if any, along the way. We would, of course, pay the hotel for the privilege. Presumably, when ready, we could catch a cab to EWR from the hotel, ¿yes?

Would this be a better use of time than going back and forth to Schwartz Luggage?

3 hours ago, Frncie said:

I have seen several mentions of this luggage storage place, but I’m still confused. My maps app shows it’s about a mile from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal and, oddly enough, it takes about a half hour to drive, and an equal time to walk! What to do?

Our Newark flight is at 4:00, so we don’t have much time. I had this idea we could walk down to the Intrepid Museum and stash the luggage at a hotel, if any, along the way. We would, of course, pay the hotel for the privilege. Presumably, when ready, we could catch a cab to EWR from the hotel, ¿yes?

Would this be a better use of time than going back and forth to Schwartz Luggage?

It's about a 1.5 mile walk or a 1.8 mile drive . You must have looked at your app when traffic was snarled...maybe you were looking during the height of  rush hour. Right now it's a 12 minute drive from the cruise terminal to Schwartz Travel.

The Intrepid is at Pier 86, the next pier  south of the cruise terminal....only about 500 feet in all from Pier 88. There are no hotels along the way from one to the other. There are a couple of hotels on West 48th St. not too far from the cruise terminal but there's no guarantee they're going to take your luggage, and given your limited time I wouldn't want to waste it going from one hotel to another in hopes that one will take your bags.

I'd recommend a car service like Dial 7 or Carmel Limo rather than a taxi to get from Manhattan to EWR . That way you can reserve a vehicle in advance for the time you need.

Edited by njhorseman

22 hours ago, njhorseman said:

I'd recommend a car service like Dial 7 or Carmel Limo rather than a taxi to get from Manhattan to EWR . That way you can reserve a vehicle in advance for the time you need.

Thank you! This is good information. I have bookmarked both those car services and will check again when it’s closer to the time.