Live (ish) from Journey 14 September Barcelona to Monaco

uktog

Thank you Ann for both of your great reviews, the photos were fabulous.

It was obvious that you were trying to remain positive even when negative things happened, particularly with the shore excursions stuff, as a new cruiser to Azamara it’s very clear to see even with just two cruises that the folk on board do an amazing job but are let down by shore side time and time again. Loyalty should be rewarded and they shouldn’t be diminishing what is offered to their most loyal guests to favour new cruisers, why not attract both?

• Like 1

Ann, we'll be in Palma next month.  Does Azamara offer a shuttle into town, or is it walking distance?   I'm considering booking a tour through Viator and the meeting point is listed as Placa d'Espanya, 07002 Palma, so I wanted to check before making a reservation.  I've had a hard time finding tours there because it appears only two ships are in port that day, so most are not reaching the minimum number (a private tour on our roll call is already full and we don't have enough interest for a second group).

Thank you for any information you can provide.  Oh, we'll also be in Mahon--what did you end up doing that day, since it was an unplanned port?

33 minutes ago, hiccups said:

Ann, we'll be in Palma next month.  Does Azamara offer a shuttle into town, or is it walking distance?   I'm considering booking a tour through Viator and the meeting point is listed as Placa d'Espanya, 07002 Palma, so I wanted to check before making a reservation.  I've had a hard time finding tours there because it appears only two ships are in port that day, so most are not reaching the minimum number (a private tour on our roll call is already full and we don't have enough interest for a second group).

Thank you for any information you can provide.  Oh, we'll also be in Mahon--what did you end up doing that day, since it was an unplanned port?

Yes they do offer shuttles that go every 30 minutes into Camí de l'Escullera so should work for you

In Mahon we walked up the (steep) hill into town and walked around the farmer and fish markets and two churches.  The Iglesias Santa Maria is particularly beautiful and does 5 euro organ concerts every lunchtime at 1300

The other gem there (and fun) is turn right at the dock and walk along to the Gin centre - free entry and unlimited tastings of lots of different flavourings

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, uktog said:

Yes they do offer shuttles that go every 30 minutes into Camí de l'Escullera so should work for you

In Mahon we walked up the (steep) hill into town and walked around the farmer and fish markets and two churches.  The Iglesias Santa Maria is particularly beautiful and does 5 euro organ concerts every lunchtime at 1300

The other gem there (and fun) is turn right at the dock and walk along to the Gin centre - free entry and unlimited tastings of lots of different flavourings

Thank you!  Mahon is the only port my DH won't be golfing, so I thought we'd book an excursion since we have some OBC, but the Azamara excursions are only a couple hours so I'd like to have some other ideas (and given recent experiences with excursions, I know we can't always count on them).  My husband would really enjoy the gin tasting.

10 minutes ago, hiccups said:

Thank you!  Mahon is the only port my DH won't be golfing, so I thought we'd book an excursion since we have some OBC, but the Azamara excursions are only a couple hours so I'd like to have some other ideas (and given recent experiences with excursions, I know we can't always count on them).  My husband would really enjoy the gin tasting.

It is very much a DIY tasting plus interesting displays to look at but great fun and only a short stagger back to the ship.  We loved the chocolate  gin

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hiccups said:

hiccups, as golfers you are used to walking (I know when I played I was!). My advice is to walk into town. It's a really nice stroll along by the marina with some good places for food and drink, with the cathedral getting ever closer.  If the weather is good of course. Palma is lovely. 

Phil 

Edited by excitedofharpenden
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

hiccups, as golfers you are used to walking (I know when I played I was!). My advice is to walk into town. It's a really nice stroll along by the marina with some good places for food and drink, with the cathedral getting ever closer.  If the weather is good of course. Palma is lovely. 

Phil 

Normally I'd walk, but as the excursion is a 10-12K hike, I will probably take the shuttle to save my legs  🙂  I'm still debating the excursion, as they say it's a 300 meter climb up, and then 400 down.  But the company also says it takes about three hours, so perhaps the pace isn't bad.  I'm just afraid of ending up with a group of 20-somethings that will have to wait for me.

1 hour ago, hiccups said:

Normally I'd walk, but as the excursion is a 10-12K hike, I will probably take the shuttle to save my legs  🙂  I'm still debating the excursion, as they say it's a 300 meter climb up, and then 400 down.  But the company also says it takes about three hours, so perhaps the pace isn't bad.  I'm just afraid of ending up with a group of 20-somethings that will have to wait for me.

Good for you!  My legs are getting tired just thinking about it! Lol

Phil