More legal problems for RCCL

reklawr

This sort of thing happens WAY too much! I am so glad she got away!

Passengers have to be on your guard when on a ship. They feel a false sense of security when on a ship. Would a girl go off with a strange man she just met and go to his house? Not if she is smart. I also wonder where the heck these cruise lines are getting these employees!!!!!!!!! Do they go to a country and ask for the ones just being released from jail!

This sort of thing happens over and over again :(

Remember Amy Bradley. ( the young woman that dissapeared on the Rhapsody of the Seas) This exact thing could have happened to her and when she resisted the culprit did away with her to shut her up.

You are right, I think some people go on cruises and are very ill informed. The Amy Bradley story has been on the news alot. There was another one also where a woman from NJ hooked up with an employee of X, left her husband married this guy, who took her to Greece, then when she wanted to leave, he killed her. I think the thing that people do not understand is once you step your foot on that ship, you are not in America anymore. Things are just not the same and you should be extremely careful who you decide to take off with.

Slottaddict -don't tell me this sort of thing does not happen in your town!!!! So this has nothing to do with not being in the US - it happens all over the world every single day and the US is not immune!

• 2 months later...

I still believe that ANY ship is safer than any major American city. How many murders/rapes/ robberies/assaults per day. How many deaths/ incidents per million pax on cruise ships. Is it 100% safe? No and neither is getting up in the morning. Crime happens everywhere... Being stupid is a captial offense. When you are in any new situation you don't just wander off with strangers. And other passengers are every bit as threatening as cruiseline employees..

I also wonder where the heck these cruise lines are getting these employees!!!!!!!!! Do they go to a country and ask for the ones just being released from jail!

What a bunch of bunk suggesting cruiselines are getting their employees from jails...

News story first:

http://www.marinelink.com/Story/ShowStory.aspx?StoryID=202322

a congressional memo on March 7 details 177 sexual misconduct incidents, ranging from inappropriate touching to rape, and four robberies of amounts over $5,000 over a three-year period. During that time, approximately 25 million people

In the state of Washington in 2000 there were 196 murders and 2700 rapes... in a population of almost 6 million. You will be almost 100 times safer on a cruiseship than in the State of Washington... You can find similar statistics on any state, province or country. No place is perfectly safe and unfortunate incidents do happen including at sea. Murder rates often indicate that more murders occur between people who know one another than between strangers. Be vigilant, but don't blame a whole industry as if it's more dangerous than life in general.

Having read the Fox news story, it occurs to me that the RCCL employee in question should be considered innocent until proven guilty. After all, it is remotely possible that he rejected the woman's advances, rather than the other way around and to punish him she screamed rape. It's happened before...

At this point it's the woman's word against his. The bad news is that he's poor, from a third world country, has no lawyer and it is unlikely that RRCL will come to his defense.

George+

I wonder how many attempted rapes, molestations, attempted murders, murders, persons overboard, etc. there would be if cruiseships were alcohol-free!

Whatever happened to personal responsibility?

I wonder how many attempted rapes, molestations, attempted murders, murders, persons overboard, etc. there would be if cruiseships were alcohol-free!

I wonder how many successful cruise lines there would be if cruiseships were alcohol-free!. Without alcohol there would be no cruise industry.:cool:

Are you suggesting that all of those problems are related to alcohol?:confused:

Did anyone watch 20/20 last night? It was about rapes and sexual assaults on board cruise ships. I found it most disserting to find that most line tend to side with the (alleged) accused, when a crew member was involved.:eek:

They made a 12 year old victim feel like she was fabricating the story. There was a man on, an ex cop, who had handled security on 4 major cruise lines. He said that most cruise lines like to sweep it under the carpet and pretend this doesn't exist, with many lines not reporting these incidents.:(

A great problem exists is that the alleged victim has no real recourse. Most ships fly foreign flags and are out of US duristriction

I wonder how many successful cruise lines there would be if cruiseships were alcohol-free!. Without alcohol there would be no cruise industry.:cool:

Take the case sited above, in a bar... what does one do besides drink?

Alcohol makes people do some very stupid and dangerous things. And it is not limited to employee/passenger, but also employee/employee. But the employee/employee "altercations" don't make the news. There are more of those than there are employee/passenger.

The 15 year old Irish girl who "fell" off the balcony had been drinking heavily.

Mrs. Smith..... obviously at some point fell under the "influence". The misc swan dives into pools, into the ocean.... alcohol related.

I can guaranee you, the young lady who removed her t-shirt and bra during 50's night on my Century sailing, would not have done otherwise had she been sober. Yes! On Century!

I didn't say whether ships should be alcohol-free or not. That's not the point. The point, however, just like on land, is responsible drinking.

The point, however, just like on land, is responsible drinking.

I agree one hundred percent. All people are responsible for their own actions. If they decide to drink too much they made the decision to do so ... and should be held responsible for it. And if they die as a result of their over- indulgence it is not the alcohol, it's their fault for getting themselves in a state where they were no longer in control... stupid decisions lead to serious consequences.. and sometimes death.

I agree one hundred percent. All people are responsible for their own actions. If they decide to drink too much they made the decision to do so ... and should be held responsible for it. And if they die as a result of their over- indulgence it is not the alcohol, it's their fault for getting themselves in a state where they were no longer in control... stupid decisions lead to serious consequences.. and sometimes death.

I'll remember that one C 2 C. My problem is after a couple of glasses of wine I just talk too da*n much. Well that can get you into trouble too!:D

Phil

Having read the Fox news story, it occurs to me that the RCCL employee in question should be considered innocent until proven guilty. After all, it is remotely possible that he rejected the woman's advances, rather than the other way around and to punish him she screamed rape. It's happened before...

At this point it's the woman's word against his. The bad news is that he's poor, from a third world country, has no lawyer and it is unlikely that RRCL will come to his defense.

George+

...my sentiments, exactly.

My problem is after a couple of glasses of wine I just talk too da*n much. Well that can get you into trouble too!:D

Phil

It's because you interrupt the flow...It's tough to talk and drink at the same time. You must learn to prioritize;)

Whatever happened to personal responsibility?

Hmm, I wonder too! The staff member met the young woman in a bar...

Probably not all those problem were related to alcohol us but a several if not more.

Carnival Paradise tried a totally non-smoking ship. Did not make money and they pulled her from non-smoking itineraries.:( Non-smokers=healthier people=less drinking=less gambling

Personally if a ship was nonsmoking I'd gamble MORE not less but then slots is my game.

The case of the 12 year old girl that I sited had nothing to do with alcohol. Being realistic, I feel that there are cases that involve alcohol and cases that do not.:)

The case of the 12 year old girl that I sited had nothing to do with alcohol. Being realistic, I feel that there are cases that involve alcohol and cases that do not.:)

Hi dmk,

I didn't see 20/20. How awful for the twelve-year old.

As far as drinking goes, it seems that just as many people act

responsibly by choosing a designated driver when out drinking now

it may be time to choose a designated watcher who will see to each

one's safety and welfare and that means whether they are drunk or

sober. It certainly may have helped Amy Bradley,the young woman

Holloway in Aruba, and how many others. It could act as a deterrent to

these perverted pedophiles, molesters, and murderers in the area on land

or sea.Wherever humans are, though few in number, they will be among us.

And they usually keep their wits about them for opportunities and they

don't always drink.

Wherever humans are, though few in number, they will be among us.

And they usually keep their wits about them for opportunities and they

don't always drink.

Got that one absolutely right. Sad but true.

News story first:

http://www.marinelink.com/Story/ShowStory.aspx?StoryID=202322

In the state of Washington in 2000 there were 196 murders and 2700 rapes... in a population of almost 6 million. You will be almost 100 times safer on a cruiseship than in the State of Washington... You can find similar statistics on any state, province or country. No place is perfectly safe and unfortunate incidents do happen including at sea. Murder rates often indicate that more murders occur between people who know one another than between strangers. Be vigilant, but don't blame a whole industry as if it's more dangerous than life in general.

a congressional memo on March 7 details 177 sexual misconduct incidents, ranging from inappropriate touching to rape, and four robberies of amounts over $5,000 over a three-year period. During that time, approximately 25 million people . Maybe Congress needs to get it's own house in order before they come down on any other industry - Hear that Ted Kennedy or Gary Hart or who ever the guy who was "alleged" involved with Chandra Levy.

Archived