Cost for a carton of New Port 100’s

cruisingal1981

I can give you a slight comparison, not exact.  We buy Marlboro for hubby.  2 cartons for him was like $87ish in July on the Sensation and in May on the Horizon... 4 cartons was like $127ish (it is buy 3 get 1 free)this month on the Miracle ... It works out to around $45 a carton, the more you buy the cheaper it gets.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Susan in Maine said:

However, you can only bring back into the US 2 cartons per person. If you bring more back you may be required to pay a tariff.

Unless it has changed, if you buy them in St. Thomas, you are allowed to being back five cartons.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cruizergal70 said:

Wow. My mom stopped smoking right when the price hit $10 a carton. Times have certainly changed. LOL.

I know.  I quit about 33 years ago.  Cigs were about 1.15 a pack.  I don't know how people can afford to smoke now.   Just FYI, I am not passing judgement on anyone for smoking.  

Edited by Butterbean1000

Yikes...!  I just looked up the price of cigarettes -- $80 for a carton Marlboro Box from Costco's Business center?  I recall when a pack was 45 cents (1974)... adjusted for inflation, that's $1.59 a pack... or $15.90 for a carton.  The current price is 5-fold of that... or even more.    

So now the price of one cigarette is the price that a pack was back in 1974.    I guess people have to think twice when someone asks if they can bum a cigarette...  😂

1 minute ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

Yikes...!  I just looked up the price of cigarettes -- $80 for a carton Marlboro Box from Costco's Business center?  I recall when a pack was 45 cents (1974)... adjusted for inflation, that's $1.59 a pack... or $15.90 for a carton.  The current price is 5-fold of that... or even more.    

So now the price of one cigarette is the price that a pack was back in 1974.    I guess people have to think twice when someone asks if they can bum a cigarette...  😂

My guess would be that the majority of the increase are taxes.

In 1974, the average price per pack was 45 cents... with 20 cents of that amound being taxes.  

On average, states charge $1.73 of taxes per pack of 20 cigarettes.  So that would be an extra $17.30 per carton... but still is not 5-fold.  The cigarette companies are making Bank.

However, the following adds an extra $40 to each carton... but still not 5-fold. 

New York:          $4.35 a pack
Connecticut:      $4.35 a pack 
Rhode Island:    $4.25 a pack
Massachusetts:    $3.51 a pack
Hawaii:                   $3.20 a pack 

It has been a few months,  but this was what we did.. bought 3, got 1 free for about $127.   Hint about buying more than the allowable 2 cartons per person.  It seems they don't count the ones broken down out of the carton.  This may vary by debarkation port.  But we got by with 4+ cartons for 2 people last year.  Also spread them out among different suitcases.

On 9/16/2019 at 11:27 AM, wemjam said:

I can give you a slight comparison, not exact.  We buy Marlboro for hubby.  2 cartons for him was like $87ish in July on the Sensation and in May on the Horizon... 4 cartons was like $127ish (it is buy 3 get 1 free)this month on the Miracle ... It works out to around $45 a carton, the more you buy the cheaper it gets.

14 minutes ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

In 1974, the average price per pack was 45 cents... with 20 cents of that amound being taxes.  

On average, states charge $1.73 of taxes per pack of 20 cigarettes.  So that would be an extra $17.30 per carton... but still is not 5-fold.  The cigarette companies are making Bank.

However, the following adds an extra $40 to each carton... but still not 5-fold. 

New York:          $4.35 a pack
Connecticut:      $4.35 a pack 
Rhode Island:    $4.25 a pack
Massachusetts:    $3.51 a pack
Hawaii:                   $3.20 a pack 

That's just crazy, however, no doubt, the cigarette companies are raking it in.  So how much is a pack of cigarettes in NY?