Debating whether to have my TA call Seabourn

wesport

Just reaching out to see what one would do in my situation. 

Booked one of the Cuba cruises over a year ago. V4 cabin.  When we got the email with incentives to stay, we got a 5 percent discount on the published fare $3999 down to $3799.  Also got additional obc of $500  per cabin.  

Now of course two months before sailing the v4 rate is $3699 with a $600 obc.

In addition, the OB is now $2999 pp.  

So someone booking now is basically $300 less per person with $100 more in obc. 

My gut is to just let it go and enjoy the cruise.

Thoughts

29 minutes ago, wesport said:

Just reaching out to see what one would do in my situation. 

Booked one of the Cuba cruises over a year ago. V4 cabin.  When we got the email with incentives to stay, we got a 5 percent discount on the published fare $3999 down to $3799.  Also got additional obc of $500  per cabin.  

Now of course two months before sailing the v4 rate is $3699 with a $600 obc.

In addition, the OB is now $2999 pp.  

So someone booking now is basically $300 less per person with $100 more in obc. 

My gut is to just let it go and enjoy the cruise.

I think you're referring to a cruise for which your final payment has passed, right? In that case, I don't think you have much recourse. Prices often change after the initial penalty deadline and again after final payment deadline, when some people drop out and they need to fill the ship. If this were before final payment deadline, by all means have your TA contact Seabourn and ask them to match the price and OBC; after final payment, stop looking at the prices available and enjoy preparing for your cruise. 😉

• Like 1

Nothing to lose having your TA call.   Have found Seabourn to be extremely fair with price drops at least before final payment.  Now on our third cruise next year.  B2B, B2B, and next B2B2B2B and at least 2 drops on all three plus OBC, Internet and upgrade and the changes were as easy as could be.

Much better than on some of the lines we cruised in the past.  Worst they could say is no and you would be in the same position you are now.

Edited by rallydave

3 hours ago, raphael360 said:

I will be very interested to hear how your TA makes out on this issue.  I'm assuming you've made final payment and are in the non-refundable period.

Final was end of August for the 11/28 12 day. No expectations. When I stayed on, v4 was $3999( reduced to 3799 for staying on). Now v4 is 3299, and v5 is 3799. Prices reduced further from my original post.   Best scenario will probably be upgraded to a v5. Most v5 and v6 cabins are still showing as available.  Sent email to TA over the weekend. Should hear from her today.  Have a 5/5/20 also scheduled, so maybe something will be added to that one.  If nothing happens , I am fine. No big deal.  

Heard back from my TA just now. Seabourn will give us an additional $500 pp in a nonrefundable OBC for the fare difference. Wasn't expecting that. Another reason to stick with Seabourn.  Have another scheduled for May 5. Looking forward do drinking some upgraded wines in the Caribbean.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wesport said:

Heard back from my TA just now. Seabourn will give us an additional $500 pp in a nonrefundable OBC for the fare difference. Wasn't expecting that. Another reason to stick with Seabourn.  Have another scheduled for May 5. Looking forward do drinking some upgraded wines in the Caribbean.  

Excellent news.  I almost mentioned they may do that for you but didn’t want to jinx it. Gift shop here you come and good work TA 😀

Edited by raphael360
Add

1 minute ago, raphael360 said:

Excellent news.  I almost mentioned they may do that for you but didn’t want to jinx it. Gift shop here you come and good work TA 😀

Might just get one of those 95 dollar Seabourn polos I have admired on past cruises. 

Apologize in advance for barging into this conversation...

I've been lurking on the Seabourn forum, trying to decide if Seabourn might be a good fit for our next cruise (have been on Silversea).  I have a couple of questions on this thread:

1.  Do independent travel agencies obtain better rates for you than booking directly with Seabourn?

2.  What is OB, a cabin category? : "In addition, the OB is now $2999 pp. "  

Thanks much.

1 hour ago, pasca said:

Apologize in advance for barging into this conversation...

I've been lurking on the Seabourn forum, trying to decide if Seabourn might be a good fit for our next cruise (have been on Silversea).  I have a couple of questions on this thread:

1.  Do independent travel agencies obtain better rates for you than booking directly with Seabourn?

2.  What is OB, a cabin category? : "In addition, the OB is now $2999 pp. "  

Thanks much.

the answer to question 1 is that like most cruise lines these days the price is the price whether booking thru a TA or direct.  That said TA;s can help you in dealing with the cruise line and can give you perks like rebates, OBC, tours, etc. that you can't get when booking direct.  For sure you are leaving money on the table booking direct and it can be thousands of dollars.

Think an OB is a guarantee but, not sure.

Travel agents can give you additional on board credits in addition to the cruise line. Best thing to do is shop around. OB is a balcony guarantee. Can be a v1or higher unless you do an oceanview suite. Over the years, I have tended to go back to the same agency. 

Need to distinguish between UK and US Travel agents. The two top UK companies typically rebate part of their commission - usually this is 10% of the cruise fare. Even though I live in the US I have used one of these companies for ten years - getting great service and a great price. But I do pay in pounds so I do bear some currency risk and once I book if a cancel I will pay a penalty starting at 10% of the cruise fare (increasing as the cruise date nears). For me it works well.