Hotel in Barcelona, Spain?

frankc2

5 minutes ago, southernbreezes said:

Wow what a great review! Makes me what to book the Edge!! Do you remember if the HOP on Hop Off bus pickup location was close to the Casa Camper?

Thanks for the kind words.  Yes, the HOHO #1 stop (Placa de Catalunya) is a stop for both the red and blue lines and was an easy 10 minute walk from the hotel.

10 minutes ago, Gordoncruickshank said:

Thanks

We stayed in the Barcelo Raval that you visited a number of years ago and it was very good. The only problem was that some of the streets coming back from Ramblas to the hotel were a bit rough.

Someone in a group tried to life my phone there from my pocket. I felt it and pushed him against a wall with m y arm while one of our group gave out a piercing whistle. All his pals disappeared as people came out of all the shops etc to se what was going on. He disappeared minus my phone. The same thing happened outside the hotel the next morning but I knew what they were trying. 

There are spots in the El Raval neighborhood than can be a little sketchy at night.  We did not experience this as long as we stuck with the main route from Las Ramblas to our hotel (less than 5 minutes).  But I had researched quite a bit before our trip and we were careful to not roam around too much at night and risk getting lost.

Barcelona (especially the main Las Ramblas drag) has often been referred to the as "pickpocketing capital of the world", making it extremely important to be aware of your surroundings and pay attention to anyone invading your space - for whatever reason, innocent or not.  Your experience is not uncommon, and kudos to you for being aware and catching someone in the act.  Unfortunately from what I have read your experience is not limited to the El Raval area.  Thank you for sharing your story, it's stories like these that help to remind me to be extra vigilant when traveling.

Thanks for updating/correcting me on Casa Camper in Barcelona. With or without free drinks it is a great choice for a stay. In fact, based on our stay there, my wife and I will be staying at the Casa Camper in Berlin next month when we travel thru Germany prior to taking a transatlantic cruise from Lisbon to St Martin on Seabourn Odyssey. 

• Like 1

I'm another vote for Hotel Barcelona Universal.  We stayed there 2 nights pre-cruise back in 2017.  We stayed in one of the Junior Suites on the 9th floor with a huge terrace.  Great hotel in a convenient location.  Metro stop right across the street.  10 minute walk to Las Ramblas.  The breakfast was really nice too, very expansive for a continental breakfast.

https://www.hotelbarcelonauniversal.com/en/

There are photos of the room and the terrace here in my review.