Buenos Aires currency exchange

Billthekid

We took a cab in Buenos Aires  following our Transatlantic cruise this week. There were huge lineups for cabs so we walked out of the terminal, turned left and crossed the street to catch a cab going in the direction we wanted. A block or two later we flagged down a cab.

Normally they are metered but he gave me a set price in pesos to our destination which i accepted. and he turned off the meter. I asked him on the ride if he preferred USD, he said no. The trip was at least twice as long as usual due to several demonstrations and blocked streets so the 650 pesos - under $11.00 USD was very reasonable.

At other places I have found that the price is often less in the local currency as they simply give an inflated guess what it might be in dollars. 

• 2 months later...
On 12/7/2019 at 3:31 AM, Lunenburg said:

A block or two later we flagged down a cab.

We flagged down cabs every time even when leaving for the airport. Got one in minutes. No need to arrange in advance.

We arrived today, and the Banko ATM charge was outrageous. We withdrew 2000 Argentinian pesos and were charged 329 Argentinian Pesos as a service charge. This is our first day in Buenos Aires and Puerto Iguazu, and we have used credit cards and USD with no issues. At this moment, I think we need a few Argentinian Pesos, but can use credit cards and USD pretty easily.

1 hour ago, Margarita Jane said:

We arrived today, and the Banko ATM charge was outrageous. We withdrew 2000 Argentinian pesos and were charged 329 Argentinian Pesos as a service charge. This is our first day in Buenos Aires and Puerto Iguazu, and we have used credit cards and USD with no issues. At this moment, I think we need a few Argentinian Pesos, but can use credit cards and USD pretty easily.

That's a little over US$5. 

10 minutes ago, Lunenburg said:

Still,  quite a bit on only getting $32.00 USD and change. 

It seems like in the US if you get money from other than your bank that it's usually $3, regardless of the amount you withdraw. And for less than $32 we could get a steak, house made pasta, a bottle of wine and dessert. We were staying in an airbnb and would have enough left over for another meal. 

• 1 month later...

My experience with money exchange;

first of all I'm from Switzerland and I couldn't get any Argentinien Pesos in my home country therefore I changed into US-Dollars which is in the moment at a rate of 1 to 1. (and I was lucky to do so)

Because even with the same worth in Switzerland; I would have gotten for 100 Swiss Francs only around 4000 Peso, while they like the US Dollar and even with the official rate you'll get 5800 Pesos, so much more.

But the highest rate you'll get if you walk in Buenos Aires through Florida Street and ask one of the people on the street who shout "Cambio"; they will lead you to an exchange counter in a back alley and I got for 100 US-Dollars (in 20 Dollar-Bills)

7100 Pesos  ! They only take nice bills and you even will get an better rate if you have higher domination.

Many restaurants and tourist shops will take your US-Dollar as well and often the rate is also better than the official 58; mostly it's in average around 65 (as of February 2020)...

And finally they don't like small bills, so leave anything under 20 Dollars at home...