Onboard Sky

Lorizack

On 9/24/2019 at 4:58 PM, lonagarr said:

Hello, Lorizak! It sounds like you are having a wonderful time so far which is making me even more excited!!! We are doing the Oslo extension as well, and your info is very helpful indeed. By the way, do you know of anyone on board who did the Scenic Bergen Fjord and King Crab excursion? If you do, could you ask them if it is really worth it and comment on here? I know you will be very busy enjoying your trip, but if you hear anything, please let me know. Have a wonderful rest of your trip, and I will be looking for any further comments from you! Thanks for your update - it is greatly appreciated!!!

I haven’t forgotten your question. The person I was planning to ask did a private fjord sail, so not what you are wondering about. But I continue to ask the question. It’s a good conversation starter!

We are in Porto this morning. Everyone is quite excited to go ashore today and walk on solid ground. We are doing the port tasting excursion, with a city walk included. Will let you know how things go. There is a port shuttle available but only in and out of the port area, as we are not permitted to walk. A cab into Porto is about 30 euro each way. But there are cafes and shops and a beach just outside the port area, where the shuttle drops you. 

Lorizack, thanks so much for the info on port shuttle and taxi into Porto! How were your sea days? Rough weather? Did the ships WiFi still function? We will be boarding in Bergen Saturday with the lovely remnants of Lorenzo!

The wifi was fine during our rough seas. The passengers had mixed reviews about their experience with sickness. Some were not affected, other than the challenges of walking around. Others took to their beds. I do think you need to be prepared for queasiness and be sure to take medication before it gets rough.   Midship was the most comfortable place to be. The Star Theatre, where all the additional activities were staged, was quite obviously rolling!  The staff did an excellent job of filling our additional sea day with fabulous lectures, games and a movie. 

Today in Porto we did the walking tour and Port tasting. We were bussed 30 minutes to Porto along a scenic drive, which our guide commentated. The bus dropped us and we walked through the scenic streets and squares for about 90 minutes. There was no opportunity to shop ( the shoes I saw!!!) and it was very crowded. We were cautioned several times about pickpockets.  We met up with our bus and crossed the river to a Port company. We had about a half hour tour along with a tasting of two ports and an opportunity to purchase. There were washrooms available there. Then a half hour back to the ship. We chose to take the port shuttle back outside the port gates. We walked to the beach, and sat at a small bistro to eat sardines grilled on the sidewalk. It was easy to do and we were quite comfortable. No shoe shops though... It is gloriously sunny here today.

1 hour ago, Lorizack said:

Today in Porto we did the walking tour and Port tasting. We were bussed 30 minutes to Porto along a scenic drive, which our guide commentated. The bus dropped us and we walked through the scenic streets and squares for about 90 minutes. There was no opportunity to shop ( the shoes I saw!!!) and it was very crowded. We were cautioned several times about pickpockets.  We met up with our bus and crossed the river to a Port company. We had about a half hour tour along with a tasting of two ports and an opportunity to purchase. There were washrooms available there. Then a half hour back to the ship. We chose to take the port shuttle back outside the port gates. We walked to the beach, and sat at a small bistro to eat sardines grilled on the sidewalk. It was easy to do and we were quite comfortable. No shoe shops though... It is gloriously sunny here today.

Sounds like you had a wonderful day in Porto!  Last May we were there on the Jupiter, going the other direction.  It was a very brisk, cold, windy, day with fog for am and sunny for pm.   We were also warned about pickpockets but found them less observable than in Barcelona.   We also had a bit rough weather north of Porto.   Just think - you are heading into the nice weather time once you pass Gibraltar!!

We absolutely loved Malaga - and we didn't even go to the Alhambra.  Enjoyed one of the best optional excursions we've had on Viking - the tour to the Nerja caves - quite an experience!!    We also did the included walking tour in the afternoon in Malaga - and perhaps because it was a gorgeous day and we had an excellent guide - it was also one of the best included walking tours we'd had!  Enjoy!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Sounds like you had a wonderful day in Porto!  Last May we were there on the Jupiter, going the other direction.  It was a very brisk, cold, windy, day with fog for am and sunny for pm.   We were also warned about pickpockets but found them less observable than in Barcelona.   We also had a bit rough weather north of Porto.   Just think - you are heading into the nice weather time once you pass Gibraltar!!

We absolutely loved Malaga - and we didn't even go to the Alhambra.  Enjoyed one of the best optional excursions we've had on Viking - the tour to the Nerja caves - quite an experience!!    We also did the included walking tour in the afternoon in Malaga - and perhaps because it was a gorgeous day and we had an excellent guide - it was also one of the best included walking tours we'd had!  Enjoy!

Awesome news! We are doing the caves too,  Now I’m really excited. The forecast is for hot and sunny days ahead, too. Lovely.

16 hours ago, Lorizack said:

I haven’t forgotten your question. The person I was planning to ask did a private fjord sail, so not what you are wondering about. But I continue to ask the question.  It’s a good conversation starter!

Lorizak, you are wonderful!!!!!!!!! Thanks so much. The excursion is pricey, so if someone told me it wasn't good or not worth the money, I would have time to cancel. Not so once we are on the ship!

16 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

You may cancel excursion up until 36 hours in advance. So, you can't cancel an excursion you have booked on Day 2 but you would have time to cancel any other you have booked.

Thanks, Peregrina! My plan was if I had the information now or any time before the 36 hour cutoff, I could cancel the excursion if I chose. Best laid plans of mice and men........a walk around Bergen, a boat trip on a fjord and eating freshly caught king crab.....someone would have to give a pretty bad review to make me want to cancel! Just weighing my options.....

2 hours ago, lonagarr said:

Thanks, Peregrina! My plan was if I had the information now or any time before the 36 hour cutoff, I could cancel the excursion if I chose. Best laid plans of mice and men........a walk around Bergen, a boat trip on a fjord and eating freshly caught king crab.....someone would have to give a pretty bad review to make me want to cancel! Just weighing my options.....

What I can remember hearing, but can’t remember who said it, was that the excursion was good and they enjoyed it. But the husband mentioned that he was disappointed that he didn’t learned about crabbing, but just got to eat it. I will say, we’ve been served crab several times on the Sky this voyage. That’s very impressive! And tomorrow night....the famous chocolate buffet! 

19 minutes ago, Lorizack said:

What I can remember hearing, but can’t remember who said it, was that the excursion was good and they enjoyed it. But the husband mentioned that he was disappointed that he didn’t learned about crabbing, but just got to eat it. I will say, we’ve been served crab several times on the Sky this voyage. That’s very impressive! And tomorrow night....the famous chocolate buffet! 

I've been crabbing in the Savannah area many times, so that won't disappoint me! Thanks!!!

Lorizack,

We leave tomorrow for Bergen to start our identical cruise on the Jupiter. Quick question (testing your memory) re Bruges. I know you did the Viking on your own excursion. Do you remember or know if Viking provided a shuttle from the ship to the town of Bruges? I think there is just a shuttle from the ship to the beginning of the port. A friend spoke to Viking's Live Chat who made it sound like there is a free Viking shuttle to town. We have arranged for a taxi to take us to town which we would not need if Viking provided transportation to town. But, if I'm correct, you actually paid for an excursion that was basically transportation to town, right? 

Was today an at sea day? Tomorrow, Malaga? Keep us posted!!

7 hours ago, Gail Boertzel said:

Lorizack,

We leave tomorrow for Bergen to start our identical cruise on the Jupiter. Quick question (testing your memory) re Bruges. I know you did the Viking on your own excursion. Do you remember or know if Viking provided a shuttle from the ship to the town of Bruges? I think there is just a shuttle from the ship to the beginning of the port. A friend spoke to Viking's Live Chat who made it sound like there is a free Viking shuttle to town. We have arranged for a taxi to take us to town which we would not need if Viking provided transportation to town. But, if I'm correct, you actually paid for an excursion that was basically transportation to town, right? 

Was today an at sea day? Tomorrow, Malaga? Keep us posted!!

You must be so excited! It is a wonderful cruise. You are testing my memory though! As I recall, there was only a shuttle out of the port. Then you arranged your own transportation to Bruges, whether public transport or cab. It was overwhelming to us and in the end we did the Viking Bruges on your own. 

You will enjoy many of the ports where you can just walk back and forth from the ship. Bergen was a delight, and yesterday Malaga was unbelievable. Gorgeous, gorgeous and right outside our balcony. This morning we are looking out at Cartagena and planning to go out on our own after our morning tour.  But it is not a guarantee where the ship will dock. There were three ships in port yesterday and we got the prime berth! Today we are the only ship here.

Remember to take seasickness meds when you leave Bergen, if you are prone. I understand now from the staff that our experience was unusual, but be prepared!

Enjoy.

Edited by Lorizack
Spelling

Lorizack,

You have been an invaluable resource! Thank you for your responsiveness and sharing useful, practical information. I am so glad you have been happy with the cruise. I like the way the itinerary is arranged, going from colder/rainier weather to southern Spain. I wasn't expecting Malaga to be gorgeous so it will be a port to look forward to seeing. Enjoy your last few days before it is back to reality. These exchanges are why I enthusiastically recommend the Cruise Critic boards to friends. 

1 hour ago, Gail Boertzel said:

Lorizack,

You have been an invaluable resource! Thank you for your responsiveness and sharing useful, practical information. I am so glad you have been happy with the cruise. I like the way the itinerary is arranged, going from colder/rainier weather to southern Spain. I wasn't expecting Malaga to be gorgeous so it will be a port to look forward to seeing. Enjoy your last few days before it is back to reality. These exchanges are why I enthusiastically recommend the Cruise Critic boards to friends. 

You are very welcome! Sharing info adds to my pleasure and it was valuable to me as well, preparing for our trip. Cruise Critic also gave us a good of travellers who connected before the Meet and Mingle online, and also at the gathering. We share tour buses, lounge couches and dinner tables with many of these folks, and that was really special. I’d advise everyone to sign up, attend, and actually mingle! I’m so glad we did.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

We are considering this cruise for September 20, 2020.  It sounds like the weather was not too bad for your cruise, the rain mostly in the northern ports.  I wonder how often the ship misses getting into Falmouth?  If you could take this over, would you go earlier in the year?

25 minutes ago, Galley Slave said:

We are considering this cruise for September 20, 2020.  It sounds like the weather was not too bad for your cruise, the rain mostly in the northern ports.  I wonder how often the ship misses getting into Falmouth?  If you could take this over, would you go earlier in the year?

Viking itineraries that pass through the Straits of Gibraltar are repositioning cruises. Two of them head north to London or Bergen (the others are trans-Atlantic crossings): Iberian Explorer (offered once in January, Barcelona to London) and Trade Routes of the Middle Ages (offered April and in reverse Sept/Oct, the number offered depends on the number of ships that are being re-positioned).

2 hours ago, Galley Slave said:

We were on this cruise on the Oct. 4, 2019 sailing out of Bergen.  Our ship made it into Falmouth, and it was a spectacular sunny day.  It poured all day The day before in Portsmouth, so our tour to Stonehenge and Salisbury was rather soggy.  We had a few overcast days, but that was the only day we got rained upon.  By the time we got to the southern coast of Spain, we had lots of sun.  

Edited by Mich3554