Picking room best price

jsakovits

This is my own process, but I always select which cabins my TA should request.  I look at where I want to be, what is above and what is below the cabin, etc.  I have not had any experience with letting the cruise line pick my cabin other than on a river cruise where we selected a suite which limited the locations it could be and they were all essentially alike.  There are some cabins on some ships which hear noises from whatever is above or below, so I am careful about those issues. 

It depends on what the choice is, actually. If the option is for a guarantee cabin, then I would decline and pick my own. A guarantee means you pay for a cabin class (inside, outside or balcony) but the  cruise line doesn't assign a cabin until a couple of weeks before sailing. You won't know what it is until assigned and you have no option to refuse.

When the cruise line picks the cabin and gives you a cabin number at booking, you have a chance to check the ship decks and decide if that's where you want to be. This is not always a bad choice and we have had some great cabins by accepting the one assigned at booking.

• 3 weeks later...

If you want a balcony cabin, and this guarantee cabin is an inside, will you be ok with that?  Most lines give your a guarantee designation....a balcony guaranteed means you will AT LEAST get a balcony cabin.  A "suite" gty means you will get a junior suite, most likely....

If you only want to be ON the ship...a gty is a good way to save some $$$.  If you would be unhappy in certain areas or category of cabin, pick your own.

On 9/24/2019 at 5:48 PM, jsakovits said:

I can really save a lot of money if I choose “they pick my stateroom” ,  has anyone ever done this and found they got a good room? Or should I pay more and “pick it myself”?

There are many threads where people took a guarantee (which is what you're doing if you let them pick) and got an upgrade. There are many where those with guarantees got the stateroom from H@LL. How much money and do you feel lucky?

Make sure you are OK with the worst room in the category you are specifying. Cabins that are way up front will have more motion, those far aft may have engine noise (although there are many who love aft balconies). Some cabins may be under the galley (they cook all night) or near the showroom.

OTOH, if you are new to cruising and unfamiliar with the ship, you may not know how to pick a "good room". In the end it's your choice!