Columbian Coffee

rgmacm

On our upcoming port stop in Cartagena  my husband has decided he wants to purchase some coffee.   Since neither of us like robust or dark roast coffees, it seems to me that Colombian coffee would not be the best choice for us.  That being said,  I'm pretty sure his mind is made up....    *sigh*   😉

That brings me to my questions...

• Are all the Colombian coffees as 'robust' as the ones you purchase in the grocery stores? Perhaps there are mild varieties out there....  and if so, what are they?  And can one sample them before purchasing? 
  • Our 'tentative' plan for the day in Cartagena is the fort and old city.  If there is indeed a coffee out there 'for us', is there some place in the Old City to buy it?  
Edited by rgmacm

My knowledge is pretty limited as I'm not a big coffee drinker myself, but last time I was in Cartagena the brand Juan Valdez was very popular and had stores/coffee shops all over the place. I think it might also be available in the US. They do have some milder versions, one I think is called Narino. 

https://www.juanvaldezcafestore.com/en/coffee?cup_profile=17

• 1 month later...

I bought Juan Valdez balanced that’s not suppose to be bold- but I have not tried it yet.

i also bought sello rojo in vanilla and canela ( cinnamon) which is the only one I’ve tried so far. I am happy. I bought coffee in every port almost.

i purchased the Juan Valdez in the old city at a coffee shop,they grounded the whole bean for me. The sello rojo I bought at the port shop. Can purchase a cup of coffee to try at JV.

7C40B772-DD91-44B1-818A-A6297F8DD1D6.jpeg

Edited by arizonaperson
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/4/2020 at 6:26 PM, IRMO12HD said:

Did you have any difficulties bringing the coffee back into the US?

On 1/7/2020 at 8:01 PM, arizonaperson said:

Absolutely no problem.

no problems bringing it back, but be aware....that it is one of the things that alerts the TSA, and they may search your bags.  You'll just get the nice note that they've gone through your things. 

Coffee is used by drug smugglers to cover the smell of the drug.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tutuwahineLV said:

no problems bringing it back, but be aware....that it is one of the things that alerts the TSA, and they may search your bags.  You'll just get the nice note that they've gone through your things. 

Coffee is used by drug smugglers to cover the smell of the drug.  

I cannot remember if I had some in my carry-on and some in my checked luggage or all of it in the checked luggage ,etc. No note by TSA and no problems. Of course that’s not to say that somebody else won’t have a problem. But I bought quite a bit of coffee one or two kinds in each port. Good heads up though for somebody else, I’m long back home from my trip. 

Julie