MLB Playoff Games?

dreaminofcruisin

I am sure this has been asked in the past....but got no results using Search... ☹️

We will be on the Sapphire Princess out of Southampton during the MLB playoffs.

Has anyone had experience with them broadcasting the games---or finding them on the On Demand later (since the time difference might mess with that).

TIA

My experience from two years ago on a Mexican Riviera cruise is that they will broadcast games shown on TBS, since ESPN International has rights to those games, but not show Fox.  Keeping in mind that this was for a past cruise that started and ended at a US port and took place entirely within comparable time zones to the US...that would mean you would be able to watch NL playoff games, assuming Princess still gets a feed for ESPN International....

I'm afraid I too have no positive news on this subject though I've never sailed during MLB playoff season (will be in October this year).  For other sports events however, I've been broadly disappointed.  For example, was on Grand this spring during Masters week.  Tiger made a great charge, electrified the tournament, not a single minute of it was available on board.  Fortunately, we were anchored off of Maui on Sunday and was able to see the victory from there, to the ship though it was just another Sunday.  

Monday night football seems to get picked up with some regularity, likewise the Super Bowl.  Other sports events though seem to be largely unavailable.  The Princess website advertises explicitly NFL games but only talks vaguely about "other sporting events" seems like they just don't have rights for many other things.  

11 hours ago, dreaminofcruisin said:

I am sure this has been asked in the past....but got no results using Search... ☹️

We will be on the Sapphire Princess out of Southampton during the MLB playoffs.

Has anyone had experience with them broadcasting the games---or finding them on the On Demand later (since the time difference might mess with that).

TIA

I just got off the Sapphire (Baltic's) and no MLB games were on. and I got up at 2am (which would have been game time Los Angeles.) to watch several ti;mes. On the plus side my MLB at bad app worked, so I was able to get scores etc.

I have been on ships where they show NFL playoffs - so maybe, but I think its unlikely

We were on a Canada/New England cruise in 2016 when the Cubs won the Series. I assumed the games would be shown on MUTS. No such luck. We did get all games on the tiny cabin TV. We even nervously called the Passenger Services desk a couple of times when coverage was delayed by 5 or 10 minutes. The cabin TV was so small we couldn't read the balls & strikes from where we were sitting on the bed! I will say they showed the Chicago Victory Parade on the TV as well. We ran across it quite by accident one morning and were ecstatic. Ah, the good times......

Best way to figure it out is knowing what stations are on the ship.  If anyone knows what stations the cabin TVs get, you can surmise whether any playoff games will be on.  Two years ago, when I was on the Grand Princess sailing on the west coast of Mexico, the games that were on TBS in the US were being shown on board; internationally, the rights to those games are shared with ESPN.

On the Ruby Princess last week in Alaska we had ESPN, ESPN2, and a special event channel which was showing a live NFL game the one time I checked it.  I imagine that special event channel could show MLB playoff games when they are on (not sure what network it was sourced from for the NFL game) but it might depend on the location.

Edited by subwayrider

On the Crown (mexican riviera) for the 2017 MLB Playoffs Dodgers v Astros, they played every single game. Sometimes it was on the MUTS screen and other times in Explorer’s Lounge. Once it was in Club Fusion. It was a blast to have, what seemed like, half the ship into it! 

Edited by GypsyHippieMermaid