Question about '"special needs" muster drill.

watermelonqueen99

I had spinal fusion surgery in July. We are booked on the Glory this spring after I get fully released from my surgeon. While I'm recovering well, I don't think I'll be ready to stand in one position, packed in like sardines, in the heat, for that long. I know there's a special needs area, but by then I won't have my neck brace on anymore, so I won't have anything visibly "wrong" with me. Are they strict on who they let attend the special needs drill?

36 minutes ago, watermelonqueen99 said:

I had spinal fusion surgery in July. We are booked on the Glory this spring after I get fully released from my surgeon. While I'm recovering well, I don't think I'll be ready to stand in one position, packed in like sardines, in the heat, for that long. I know there's a special needs area, but by then I won't have my neck brace on anymore, so I won't have anything visibly "wrong" with me. Are they strict on who they let attend the special needs drill?

They aren't that strict

Hubby had spinal surgery a little over a year ago.  Every cruise I email special needs and let them know he needs special needs muster. Once on board I check with guest services to see where it's held.  2Shoes2Go is correct with the location on Glory.  The biggest thing for him, along with standing, is using stairs.  They excuse special needs first so that they can use the elevator before the crowds hit.  We usually go down when they summon the crew to ensure he has a chair.  They are very nice and do not ask any questions about your disability.  Have fun!

• Like 4

My wife has MS and uses a walker.  Carnival personnel have been extremely helpful over the past few years.   The muster drill  for people with special needs has been held in one of the nightclubs or some other place where people can sit down.   Much nicer than out on the promenade.  Nobody wants a disability, but you always look for the cup being half full.

• Like 2

Thank you all so much! I was worried that they would look at me, a young(ish), healthy looking person and deny me for the indoor muster. Lol Sounds like I won't have a problem. I do think I will email them beforehand like mentioned above.

And thank you, Jeff, I am getting stronger and feeling better every day! Hope you and Miss Patti are enjoying your cruise!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, watermelonqueen99 said:

Thank you all so much! I was worried that they would look at me, a young(ish), healthy looking person and deny me for the indoor muster. Lol Sounds like I won't have a problem. I do think I will email them beforehand like mentioned above.

And thank you, Jeff, I am getting stronger and feeling better every day! Hope you and Miss Patti are enjoying your cruise!

Yes we are! When are you on the Glory? We are doing a B2B on her in April.😎

There are a lot of "special needs" that aren't outwardly visible and that area usually has a lot of people in it that you would not suspect have any issue - I am one of them.  Don't worry just ask one of the workers when you pass them for the drill where the special needs area is and they will direct you.

I am EXTREMELY claustrophobic in packed groups and will get so worked up I pass out lol!  so If it is an open deck like the lido or something I am ok, but if it is a ship where we have to line up on one of the closed outside boardwalk decks I can't do it.  I tried a number of times and just kept trying to maneuver to an outside row or end but kept getting tired of being told to get back in line or getting dirty looks from the people around me.  Finally gave up and just started going to special needs.

11 hours ago, wemjam said:

There are a lot of "special needs" that aren't outwardly visible and that area usually has a lot of people in it that you would not suspect have any issue - I am one of them.  Don't worry just ask one of the workers when you pass them for the drill where the special needs area is and they will direct you.

I am EXTREMELY claustrophobic in packed groups and will get so worked up I pass out lol!  so If it is an open deck like the lido or something I am ok, but if it is a ship where we have to line up on one of the closed outside boardwalk decks I can't do it.  I tried a number of times and just kept trying to maneuver to an outside row or end but kept getting tired of being told to get back in line or getting dirty looks from the people around me.  Finally gave up and just started going to special needs.

Thank you! I hate outdoor muster, but have always been able to power through it. (The Fun Ship Specials I had beforehand helped a little. Lol) But with my recent surgery, I just don't want to risk it.

Edited by watermelonqueen99

12 minutes ago, watermelonqueen99 said:

April 5th!

We may see you on board. We are booked this week and the week after, but we've had some unexpected bills pop up so we may have to change our plans. Fingers crossed. 😎

Edited by Jamman54
  • Like 1