Favorite thing QM2 Britannia class

2Oldpeopleinlove

Please forgive me, but I’m in the midst of harvest-preservation-putting the garden to bed season, with filthy feet and an aching back—and I need to fantasize about our upcoming roundtrip TA in December.

If you'd be so kind as to share, your favorites would give me something sweet to savor on my work breaks as I await our first-ever QM2 voyage. (Britannia Class, please, as we won't have access to Grills-only facilities.)

Thank you!

Edited by 2Oldpeopleinlove
  • Like 2

There are so many things to do that are not accommodation centric on Queen Mary 2.  In no order of importance. The Commodore Lounge, The Champagne Bar, Sir Samuels for coffee and chocolate, the Golden Lion Pub, The Queens Room and the afternoon tea. The speakers, and the shows. The Planetarium, the only one at sea. Shopping in the stores for keepsakes. The spa for a nice massage or manicure, The indoor pool on deck 12 and the hot tubs there as well. The Library to select reading material to keep you busy as you watch the sea glide by from your balcony, wrapped in a warm blanket in December.

In fact there is very little that you cannot do as a Britannia passenger, and you will dine in a great looking venue. There are also the extra charge restaurants that pop up in the evening in sections of the Kings Court. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I’ve spent many hours enjoying the 50 (?) Stephen Card paintings of the Cunard fleet over the ages. Have tracked down book of same from AbeBooks but IMO Cunard are missing a trick by not getting this reprinted and selling it on board.

29 minutes ago, MelbTone said:

I’ve spent many hours enjoying the 50 (?) Stephen Card paintings of the Cunard fleet over the ages. Have tracked down book of same from AbeBooks but IMO Cunard are missing a trick by not getting this reprinted and selling it on board.

Cunard used to have wonderful maritime books, although not the one you mention, when Ocean Books stocked the bookstore. For those of us who've sailed with Cunard in the past, the bookstore is a disappointment.

Not sure it's my favorite thing, but something not mentioned yet is a light lunch and a glass of bubbly in the Carinthia Lounge--early in the voyage before lots of people discover it. That's my embarkation lunch.

• Like 4

We are just off the QM2.  For Britannia Class, the best thing is that you have access to 90% of the public rooms, and some that you don't have access to are not all that great.  We spent a lot of time in the Chart Room, which is just like a beautiful bar in a very classy hotel.  The wait staff and bar tenders were all wonderful.

• Like 3

We love dancing in the beautiful Queens Room Ballroom with it's 7 piece band and vocalist playing for ballroom dancing nearly every night.   There is a Big band night on most crossings.   Even if you aren't a ballroom style dancer, it is a great place for people watching.   

On 9/27/2019 at 2:11 PM, Bigmike911 said:

...The Planetarium, the only one at sea. ...

While I agree with everyone's choice of things to do (particularly sitting and watching the ocean), I read where at least one of the Viking ships has a planetarium. Not sure if that is just one or all of their ships (never been on a Viking Ocean Cruise), but I do recall reading a couple of years ago they were installing a planetarium on a new ship.

5 minutes ago, ExArkie said:

While I agree with everyone's choice of things to do (particularly sitting and watching the ocean), I read where at least one of the Viking ships has a planetarium. Not sure if that is just one or all of their ships (never been on a Viking Ocean Cruise), but I do recall reading a couple of years ago they were installing a planetarium on a new ship.

Yes indeed. The Viking Orion launched last year also has a planetarium. You may have noticed Cunard now promotes the planetarium on QM2 as "the largest planetarium at sea".

3 hours ago, ExArkie said:

I stand corrected. I was only repeating what Cunard says. 

On 9/27/2019 at 7:54 PM, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Cunard used to have wonderful maritime books, although not the one you mention, when Ocean Books stocked the bookstore. For those of us who've sailed with Cunard in the past, the bookstore is a disappointment.

Not sure it's my favorite thing, but something not mentioned yet is a light lunch and a glass of bubbly in the Carinthia Lounge--early in the voyage before lots of people discover it. That's my embarkation lunch.

I agree on both counts. The bookstore is a pale shadow of its former self. I keep hoping that Cunard will find someone else to manage it. And the Carinthia Lounge is indeed at its lunchtime best on the first day or two at sea before it becomes a crowded annex to Kings Court.