American Eastern Seaboard Cruise from UK

tring

We are toying with the idea of an Eastern Seaboard cruise in September next year which visits the usual range of ports (11 in total, including NY were the ship spends 3 days and Boston were it spends 2 days) .  Can I ask if we would need to consider many excursions (if at all) or can we do quite a lot in the ports straight from the ship?  The only repeats for us would be St John's and Corner Brook in Newfoundland and also Sydney, so we can plan those easily.  Just a bit green with the usual New England etc. ports, though I suspect there will be lots to do in the ports themselves - am I correct with that?  Just considering the total cost of the cruise before we book.

26 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

It would be good for you to tell us your ports, so folks could help answer your questions.  NY and Boston are totally do-able on your own. 

Thanks for the reply, sorry I thought the same ports were pretty common on cruises over there, but I should not have assumed it.  The other ports are  Îles-de-la-Madeleine, Halifax, Newport, Portland, Bar Harbor, St John New Brunswick.

We have been thinking a bit more about it though and likely to go for it and I doubt we would need much in the way of trips, given it will be our first visit to those places.

Edited by tring

14 hours ago, cft8 said:

Halifax, Portland, and Bar Harbor all had plenty to do that was walkable from the port. In Bar Harbor if you want to see Acadia National Park you will need transportation. 

Thanks that is useful information.

If you are spending 3 days in New York you have the time so you could also could venture out one of those days down to Philadelphia to add a new city to the itinerary-- its about an hour and a half by train from Manhattan.  Plenty to see in terms of America's colonial history and a booming food scene. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, maryann ns said:

Here is some information for  Halifax and Sydney .

Great thanks maryann, will put those on favourites.  We have decided to book the cruise but will be a while yet, so will come back to more detailed planning next year.

What cruiseline, ship, and date are you considering?  New York has three cruiseports and you would definitely want to be docked in Manhattan instead of Brooklyn or Cape Liberty.

To keep your costs down, plan to use public transit in Boston & NYC to get around and identify your “must sees” to spend money on.  A 7 day transit pass in Boston is $22.50 (single ride is $2.40) and in NYC it’s $33.00 (single ride $3.00)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 138east said:

What cruiseline, ship, and date are you considering?  New York has three cruiseports and you would definitely want to be docked in Manhattan instead of Brooklyn or Cape Liberty.

To keep your costs down, plan to use public transit in Boston & NYC to get around and identify your “must sees” to spend money on.  A 7 day transit pass in Boston is $22.50 (single ride is $2.40) and in NYC it’s $33.00 (single ride $3.00)

Thanks.

We have no real choice of cruise line if we sail round trip from the UK, so we are looking at P&O.  The only alternative is Fred Olsen who are visiting very few ports whilst doing scenic cruising up rivers over there for a very high price and we want port visits.  The ship P&O took over of that size which docked there this year (a couple of weeks ago) was on a schedule list for Manhatten. I would have expected it to dock fairly centrally as it will not be a turn around port and they do not use their bigger ships for that run (in fact their big ones are not as big as some are now, like RCL).

Edited by tring