How far in advance do you book?

muskrat897

I book anywhere from six months out to a few weeks out and seldom have any problem unless it is an older ship with a VERY few HC cabins.

I am cruising this weekend on the NCL Sun and booked a HC BA cabin about mid Dec.

It varies widely with the destination. We have booked a year in advance, but also have lucked out and found accessible cabins only 4-6 weeks ahead. We keep our options open on locations and time when we can travel as much as possible, which makes it a little easier, and also know ahead of time which ships offer an accessible cabin for 3 (rare) as we need that now.

As the others have said, it depends on how flexible you are. If you want to sail on the newest ships in balcony or better cabins during high season, then you probably need to book a year or more out. However, if you are willing to take any type of HC cabin on a relatively new ship, then you can often find a cabin a month or less from sailing.

We rarely book more than 6 months out, and more often book 3 to 6 weeks out to take advantage of the lower rates. As a result, we usually cruise 3 times a year for less than some others pay for one cruise.

We tend to book the day the cruise opens to get the AC room that we want. For South America we booked in July 2004 for a cruise in March 2006. Last year we booked on the Jewel of the Sea - 10 months in advance and never was able to get handicap room.

So my suggestions is the further in advance the better.

Deb

We've been booking 7 - 9 months out. Even then we can't get the hc cabin of our choice. Once we did take a regular room, and had to drive the scooter to the reception desk at night since it would not fit through the door. Now, we really can't take anything but HC, we need those grab bars and a roll in shower. So we tend to book as soon as we can. I tried booking the NCL transatlantic for this November (2006) in January. They are already sold out. I'm watching the RCCL board for their spring 2007 from Miami to Spain to be posted for sale. I'll book as soon as I see the trip listed. Our feelings are that if something happens we can always cancel. We always take insurance.:D

I cruised in January on my first cruise on Carnival Paradise.. My aunt booked us in May and got the accessible with no problem...

Well, I want go on the 7 day one next for 30th birthday in July 2007 on Pride. When is best time for to book it? I was thinking about November to January.... now i m saving my $$$ for that trip.....

Book as soon as you can especially if you want to celebrate your 30th onboard. Most cruise lines will require a deposit but you can cancel and get it back up to final payment. Yes you are out of the deposit but at the same time you got a Handicap room that you want. The Pride is fairly new so could book quickly as everyone wants to try a new ship.

Deb

• 2 weeks later...

I book as soon as the itinerary opens, especially for a popular cruise. I booked in May 2005 for a Sept. 2006 cruise to make sure my parents could get an accessible ocean view (only 2 on the ship). We got lucky a couple years ago and were able to book an accessible cabin in Jan. for an Oct. cruise, but there were only 2 cabins left to choose from out of 10.

We generally book our cruises two to three months ahead. We just booked a mid-May cruise on NCL Dawn. Late last March we booked a mid-May cruise on The Voyager of the Seas. In 2002 and 2004 we booked cruises or late August in June and July. We had no difficulty getting an inside accessible cabin for three, our first choice. In fact, we had choices of different ships and sailings each time all with accessible cabins. I imagine if one has very specific travel dates and/or desires upper-end cabins you may need to plan well ahead. I couldn't imagine booking a cruise a year out; I just don't think or plan that far ahead.

1993 Epirotiki Odysseus

1994 Regent Rainbow

1999 Celebrity Galaxy

2002 RCI Enchantment of the Seas

2004 Carnival Paradise

2004 RCI Explorer of the Seas

2005 RCI Voyager of the Seas

2006 (May) NCL Dawn

Guess we really lucked out our first two cruises. We booked accessible cabins and really great rates each time 3 days before departures for Caribbean (Celebrity) and repositiioning to Europe (Princess). We booked a back to back from Ft. Lauderdale to San Francisco then to Alaska and back to SanFrancisco 9/05 for a 5/06 departure (Princess) and have to change accessible cabins in San Francisco from outside to inside because that was all that was left. Understand that no accessible cabins left on either leg now. Glad we booked this one early but it wasn't "cheap".

• 1 month later...

We just booked an extended Mexican Riviera cruise on the Celebrity Mercury for this November. Several travel agents told us that the accessible cabins were sold out, but another found several choices for us. It pays to shop around.

Once we decide on what line we want and itinerary I check on line daily until the Cruise line post the date we want. I booked Jan 2007 back in August of 05.The cruise we wanted was the Sea Princess and they only had one accessible mini suite, which I got. My husband wasn't to keen on a 14 day cruise without the extra room and balcony,So that was the deal.

I have also found our next cruise in 08 and check every day probably won't be out until summer. We book early so we get what we want. Granted we may not get the best price right off the bat but so far every cruise price always drops a little before I make our final payment and we get some money back .Don't care to book low and hope for an upgrade either, I don't like surprises would rather know up front what we're getting

Archived