Which lines, other than luxury and Oceania, include specialty restaurants?

clo

A couple of observations for the OP. 

While other lines have specialty restaurants, most of the mass market cruises charge extra.  As the OP mentioned the specialty restaurants on Oceania are "included," or "no extra charge," or "free," however you want to say it or, as someone has already noted, split hairs on the subject.

Another thought, and my experience on other lines is extremely limited, but (and I freely admit that I like Oceania) the specialty restaurants on Oceania are indeed special.  They are better than the MDR, and their MDR is better than any other one I have tried.  We were  on HAL, paid extra for two specialty restaurants, but they were no better than the MDR which was just OK in the first place.  Oceania has always stressed the quality of its food, and it shows.   The Polo steak house is really excellent, as is Toscana's Italian fare, and I al looking forward to Red Ginger and is Asian fusion offerings.  Oceania is more expensive than the mass market lines, not two to four times as expensive, but more expensive nonetheless. 

That is not to say that other lines don't have good specialty restaurants -- I have heard good things about Celebrity.  But at least on some of the mass market lines, the specialty restaurants may not be worth the extra cost.

Please no blasts.  I do not intend to denigrate all of the other non-luxury cruise lines, and I make no claim that Oceania is the only line with better food offerings.  These are just my observations of Oceania and a limited number of experiences on other lines.  Feel free to offer your thoughts about other lines, just please don't accuse me of more than what I have said!  I know these things get out of hand sometimes.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/1/2019 at 10:38 PM, clo said:

We haven't even sailed on Oceania yet but I'm already looking forward.  Are there any lines, other than the 'luxury' ones, that have no extra charge for (most of) the specialty restaurants.  Also are there many that have open seating - is that what it's called - their MDR?  TIA.

Most lines that I am familiar with offer at least the choice of open seating (but I'm not familiar with all lines 😉 ).  Some mainstream lines offer dining packages which will be a fee for a set number of specialty restaurants but your overall vacation cost would likely be less than a premium or luxury line.  Carnival has some "specialty" venues that don't have a charge but I don't think are what you are looking for and I consider part of the buffet although they technically aren't (Pizza, Deli, Guy's Burger, Blue Iguana, Guy's Pig & Anchor, Cucina del Capitano (lunch only)) - not all venues are on all ships.  When we were on Anthem of the Seas this summer they had a sandwich & dessert cafe next to Sorrentos, a hot dog stand, Cafe 270, and Solarium Bistro.  None of these are "special" but still something different from buffet or MDR.  Regal Princess had an International Cafe with sandwiches and desserts plus Alfredo's which at a minimum was complimentary for lunch.  Alfredo's is probably the closest I have come to for a specialty included on mainstream. NCL has O'Sheehans which is a sit down menu venue without an extra charge, but it isn't particularly special.

On 10/5/2019 at 9:06 AM, Floridiana said:

Check Viking Ocean. I think they include their specialty restaurant(s), but I am not 100% sure.

Viking Ocean is a premium line and all dining venues are included (but some do require reservations), except there is an "excursion" type dinner that includes shopping and cooking with the chef - this does have a charge.  Manfredi's and Chef's Table are included as well as the Restaurant.  I don't think they have any "set time" dining - all open seating or reservation.

On 10/5/2019 at 2:09 PM, Extra Kim said:

You might be thinking of Virgin cruises?

I've only glanced briefly at Virgin.  They appear to be a cross between premium and mainstream but I do think they have all restaurants included as well.

Azamara is another "Ultra Premium" line that I think of along with Viking and Oceana who may have included specialty dining.