Upgrade fairy called today!

jordanaire

We're booked on the October 3, 2020 Horizon sailing in an inside cabin, which we prefer. Today I got an email from Carnival offering me an upgrade to an ocean view cabin for $408 more. Ah...don't think so. I can use that money elsewhere during our cruise. Now if that was for a balcony cabin, then I might think about it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jordanaire said:

We're booked on the October 3, 2020 Horizon sailing in an inside cabin, which we prefer. Today I got an email from Carnival offering me an upgrade to an ocean view cabin for $408 more. Ah...don't think so. I can use that money elsewhere during our cruise. Now if that was for a balcony cabin, then I might think about it.

Your title confused me......used to be that some would get actual phone "call" from so called Upgrade Fairy.....but you got an email not a "call"!!  Emails are the way they do it today.......haven't heard of many phone calls anymore??

1 hour ago, buddylover said:

Your title confused me......used to be that some would get actual phone "call" from so called Upgrade Fairy.....but you got an email not a "call"!!  Emails are the way they do it today.......haven't heard of many phone calls anymore??

Hi

The email fairy is definitely the thing now. Very often there is no actual benefit to their offer. It seems more like an suggestion to consider paying more to get a better cabin. If someone doesn't know better to check what the actual cost of the upgrade would be, they might be inclined to think that the offer is indeed a discount and may be pleased. It's just another one of those cases where it's what you don't know that may hurt you.

4 hours ago, jordanaire said:

LOL, my upgrade offer yesterday for the PANORAMA in January was $476. Definitely a "I don't think so". Ironically, they say I can see the port from my window. I'm booked in an inside-priced cabin that  is actually an outside cabin that has 2 portholes to see the port. Have booked this cabin category before and love it. Have to almost book it years in advance to get it though since it has caught on.

15 hours ago, Nic6318 said:

Hi

The email fairy is definitely the thing now. Very often there is no actual benefit to their offer. It seems more like an suggestion to consider paying more to get a better cabin. If someone doesn't know better to check what the actual cost of the upgrade would be, they might be inclined to think that the offer is indeed a discount and may be pleased. It's just another one of those cases where it's what you don't know that may hurt you.

Yes, it is definitely the case of "buyer be AWARE".  Years back we actually were upgraded (no charge) for a balcony from an OV and did not find out until we got to the port.  It was kind of funny actually, we went to the OV cabin we had selected and the key card would not work in the door.  A steward watched us repeatedly attempt to open the door and came over to help us.  He told us we were at the 'wrong' cabin and we argued with him as no one had said one word to us.....LOL!  It ended up, we had been upgraded for free to a balcony - a smart move on behalf of CCL as we have booked balconies ever since....they 'got us'!!  But now a days, I don't think this ever happens....they fill their ships full fare with their 'offers' which are rarely to NEVER a better price than you could have booked originally.  Discounts and deals are a thing of the past unfortunately, for the most part!

Got a "guaranteed" upgrade only once. We get to the cabin, which was an Oceanview (we originally booked inside cabin), and it had all this swag for Carnival Players Club. I guess someone in the club cancelled last minute. But, great swag! And FTTF debarkation was thrown in!