Harmony: Apple pie at Chops Grille vs. MDR

We were just on Harmony last week, the apple pie in the MDR is not really pie, it is more like a tart but really, really good.  One of my favorite desserts.  The pie in Chops is really pie. It is deep dish with lots of apples but it had RAISINS in it which is something I absolutely hate. 😂

Sherri🙂

Edited by sjb317
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Capt_BJ said:

IME yes .... maybe a somewhat larger portion but otherwise the same ... Ditto for most of the app's

Thank you!

3 hours ago, sjb317 said:

We were just on Harmony last week, the apple pie in the MDR is not really pie, it is more like a tart but really, really good.  One of my favorite desserts.  The pie in Chops is really pie. It is deep dish with lots of apples but it had RAISINS in it which is something I absolutely hate. 😂

Sherri🙂

I think I saw a picture of the apple pie in the MDR, and it looked like an apple blossom, the individual ones, then I saw other pictures and it looked like a slice of pie.  Perhaps they change it up.

The pie at Chops sounds delicious.  Yes, I personally don't like raisins in apple pie either.

Thanks!

13 hours ago, red-dragon said:

Thank you!

I think I saw a picture of the apple pie in the MDR, and it looked like an apple blossom, the individual ones, then I saw other pictures and it looked like a slice of pie.  Perhaps they change it up.

The pie at Chops sounds delicious.  Yes, I personally don't like raisins in apple pie either.

Thanks!

I’ve had the apple “tart” on  at least 8 different ships in the past year.  The best was on Majesty this summer as it was warm  and gooey with lots of cinnamon.  The pie at Chops looked delicious going by our table but when I noticed the raisins I went with something else.😀

The worse apple pie I’ve ever had is on Celebrity. Not only does it have raisins but it taste like it is something picked up at Publix.

Sherri🙂

Related but unrelated.   The best apple dessert I ever had was the Apple Turnover at Applebees.   It has been discontinued,  unfortunately. 

apple-turnover-applebees.jpg

I did not like the Apple Pie at Johnny Rockets. 

Edited by soremekun

16 minutes ago, soremekun said:

Related but unrelated.   The best apple dessert I ever had was the Apple Turnover at Applebees.   It has been discontinued,  unfortunately. 

apple-turnover-applebees.jpg

I did not like the Apple Pie at Johnny Rockets. 

That looks amazing!  And I agree with you about Johnny Rocket’s pie.😀

Sherri🙂

1 hour ago, sjb317 said:

It’s my favorite dessert on the ship.😀

Sherri🙂

It looks really good! Since we're off topic, has anyone had the apple crostada from Maggiano's? These are my top 3 (in no particular order)

1) Maggiano's Apple Crostada

2) Steakhouse-style many layer chocolate cake (ie the Chocolate Tower Truffle Cake at Cheesecake Factory)

3) Steakhouse-style warm butter cake (ie the one from Grand Lux Cafe)

4 minutes ago, tomservo said:

It looks really good! Since we're off topic, has anyone had the apple crostada from Maggiano's? These are my top 3 (in no particular order)

1) Maggiano's Apple Crostada

2) Steakhouse-style many layer chocolate cake (ie the Chocolate Tower Truffle Cake at Cheesecake Factory)

3) Steakhouse-style warm butter cake (ie the one from Grand Lux Cafe)

Your post would have been delicious with pictures.  😊

1 hour ago, soremekun said:

Your post would have been delicious with pictures.  😊

I was going to but the got distracted by pesky work. Here goes!

Warm Apple Crostada

C5662DB6-049C-4764-A277-82307C4AB2F4.jpeg

Chocolate Cake

ECA9DC5D-3577-402B-84EC-673771118BF4.jpeg

Warm Butter Cake

04E05A22-F05A-4316-9C0E-60DB45D61868.jpeg

Edited by tomservo

23 hours ago, Ashland said:

We prefer the apple pie at Johnny Rocket's.

I'll have to check theirs out.  Thank you!

10 hours ago, sjb317 said:

I’ve had the apple “tart” on  at least 8 different ships in the past year.  The best was on Majesty this summer as it was warm  and gooey with lots of cinnamon.  The pie at Chops looked delicious going by our table but when I noticed the raisins I went with something else.😀

The worse apple pie I’ve ever had is on Celebrity. Not only does it have raisins but it taste like it is something picked up at Publix.

Sherri🙂

Did you find the apple tart was the same or similar on the 8 different ships?

That's strange about the apple pie on Celebrity.  I always thought their food was a step above RC.

36 minutes ago, red-dragon said:

I'll have to check theirs out.  Thank you!

Did you find the apple tart was the same or similar on the 8 different ships?

That's strange about the apple pie on Celebrity.  I always thought their food was a step above RC.

The apple tart is basically the same on each ship, just prepared better on some. It was pretty good on Harmony but like I said earlier, Majesty has had the best one so far!😀

Sherri🙂

Forgot to say that Celebrity’s food, IMO, is, no better than Royal’s.  Their breads and pastries are, for the most part, not worth the calories.  Cheesecake with caramel sauce is my favorite dessert.  They do have cinnamon ice cream once or twice during the cruise that is amazing.  But entrees, appetizers are hit or miss.😂

Sherri🙂 

The apple tart is basically the same on each ship, just prepared better on some. It was pretty good on Harmony but like I said earlier, Majesty has had the best one so far!😀

Sherri🙂

That's good to know.  I guess consistency is difficult to achieve 😑

Forgot to say that Celebrity’s food, IMO, is, no better than Royal’s.  Their breads and pastries are, for the most part, not worth the calories.  Cheesecake with caramel sauce is my favorite dessert.  They do have cinnamon ice cream once or twice during the cruise that is amazing.  But entrees, appetizers are hit or miss.😂

Sherri🙂 

I haven't been on Celebrity, but I always thought the food was more elevated.  Cheesecake with caramel sauce ... YUM!  The strawberry cheesecake at Park Cafe was light and fluffy, whereas the MDR's is more dense and preferable! 
Thanks for your feedback!

This was the Chops apple pie from Vision this June. Husband said it tasted pretty much exactly like what he was served in the MDR, just a slightly "fancier" presentation (I guess Vision wasn't doing that little tartlet thing, because he definitely received a slice of pie in the MDR). And, yes, they both had raisins.

wD3uLsFMQoWAw4O7Rvy4nw.jpg

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, aring75 said:

This was the Chops apple pie from Vision this June. Husband said it tasted pretty much exactly like what he was served in the MDR, just a slightly "fancier" presentation (I guess Vision wasn't doing that little tartlet thing, because he definitely received a slice of pie in the MDR). And, yes, they both had raisins.

Thanks so much for the picture!  I appreciate it! 
It looks like a deep dish pie!  I think the tart is definitely cuter, but I'll take either ...lol

I'll have to try both and see.  

*Great photo btw 👌