Transportation from JFK to Elizabeth, NJ hotel

Katie H

We booked Norwegian Air from Rome to Newark with plans to stay overnight in Elizabeth and fly out on Delta the next day around noon.  We just received notice from Norwegian Air that our flight will instead be arriving at JFK.  We will arrive around 9:30 pm so I am assuming it will be 10:30 or 11:00 until we get out of the airport.  We are thinking it will be best to get to Elizabeth that night rather than fight traffic to get to EWR in the morning. 

I have looked price estimates for Uber/Lyft - $170 range for an XL which I think we would need.  Can anyone tell me if there would be any problem getting one of these services to go to Elizabeth at that hour?  Or would a private car service reserved in advance be better?  Any idea of how private car service prices compare to Uber/Lyft?  There will be 3 of us so likely 3 large and 3 small suitcases.

Edited by Katie H

41 minutes ago, Katie H said:

We booked Norwegian Air from Rome to Newark with plans to stay overnight in Elizabeth and fly out on Delta the next day around noon.  We just received notice from Norwegian Air that our flight will instead be arriving at JFK.  We will arrive around 9:30 pm so I am assuming it will be 10:30 or 11:00 until we get out of the airport.  We are thinking it will be best to get to Elizabeth that night rather than fight traffic to get to EWR in the morning. 

I have looked price estimates for Uber/Lyft - $170 range for an XL which I think we would need.  Can anyone tell me if there would be any problem getting one of these services to go to Elizabeth at that hour?  Or would a private car service reserved in advance be better?  Any idea of how private car service prices compare to Uber/Lyft?  There will be 3 of us so likely 3 large and 3 small suitcases.

Get quotes from Dial7 and Carmellimo.  These are 2 NY metro car services that have large fleets and might be more reasonable because they service the entire NY metro area.

Which hotel are you going to?  The car services will quote a base price.  Expect tolls to be around $20-22 depending on the route.  Tip should be 18-20% of the base price. You 

1 minute ago, 138east said:

Which hotel are you going to?  The car services will quote a base price.  Expect tolls to be around $20-22 depending on the route.  Tip should be 18-20% of the base price. You 

We're going to Country Inn & Suites in Elizabeth.

Thanks for the info.

I agree with 138 concerning booking a car service. I feel you might very likely have difficulty getting an uber from JFK to Elizabeth. The drivers don’t mind going to Manhattan because then they can pick up fares but would hesitate to go to Elizabeth because it wouldn’t be cost effective.