LAX suspending Uber/Lyft/Taxi curbside pickups

hallux

Looks like LAX is not going to allow curbside pickups for rideshare and Taxi services on the upper level.  This apparently does not impact dropping passengers off.

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/travel/lax-travelers-will-soon-have-take-shuttle-taxi-or-uber-n1062291

https://ktla.com/2019/10/03/lax-to-end-curbside-service-this-month-for-uber-lyft-and-taxis/

At least they applied this evenly to both Ubers and taxis. This sounds like it will be a PITA from a passenger pickup standpoint but the traffic getting picked up there can be really bad during peak times. We've waited quite a bit while Ubers were on the other side trying to get around in the past. 

1 hour ago, lx200gps said:

These articles seem to single out taxis, as well as Uber, Lyft and "...rideshare services". Would this also extend to hotel shuttle pickups, limo pickups, and shuttle services like SuperShuttle etc? 

If you click on the highlighted airport advisory link it has all the information you seek.

26 minutes ago, Husky61 said:

If you click on the highlighted airport advisory link it has all the information you seek.

Thanks for the link. This certainly does seem to single out ONLY taxis, and the app services like Uber etc. As near as I can tell from unfamiliar descriptors like "dual use shuttles", "flyaway buses", "shared ride vans" etc, all others will still be able to pick up at the terminals.

Since I've taken to using Uber most of the time, I'm not all that happy with having to go through one additional step to leave the airport...

OTOH...I can certainly understand why this has to be done.  The loop around the terminals has become so crowded with traffic of late, that it's a pain to drive around.  This makes sense--to just pick certain uses that make up a large percentage of that traffic and move them.  Wouldn't make sense to move things like hotel vans or off-airport car rental or parking lot vans since those make only very short hops and you'd be, basically, doubling those short trips.

Hopefully, the shuttles to the Uber/Lyft/Taxi pick-up area will be frequent and easy...Otherwise, I can foresee a problem for those hotel and other similar local vans...Say someone can't get a quick easy ride to the Uber/Taxi pick-up, why not just jump on the van to the Hilton or Marriott or Holiday Inn, pretending like you are heading there to check in...When you get there, just stay outside and call Uber from there...might be an easier van to get a seat in and an easier place to meet an Uber???

2 hours ago, lx200gps said:

Thanks for the link. This certainly does seem to single out ONLY taxis, and the app services like Uber etc. As near as I can tell from unfamiliar descriptors like "dual use shuttles", "flyaway buses", "shared ride vans" etc, all others will still be able to pick up at the terminals.

After you click on the lik there is another lik that is more definitive on what services cannot pick up.

4 hours ago, lx200gps said:

These articles seem to single out taxis, as well as Uber, Lyft and "...rideshare services". Would this also extend to hotel shuttle pickups, limo pickups, and shuttle services like SuperShuttle etc? 

I realize you got an answer but I wanted to point out that if all of those services were not allowed to pick up that would mean there would be ZERO traffic except for the shuttles to the Uber/Lyft/Taxi lot and people doing individual pickup/drop-off for family or friends.

However - I should note that the cruise, hotel and rental car shuttles all seem to service the lower level from what I saw in April so this wouldn't impact them anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, DRS/NC said:

I wonder how a solo pax w/limited mobility is supposed to get herself,  luggage  & rollator/walker to the pick-up areas?

I would imagine the shuttles noted in at least one of the articles would be ADA-compliant...

On 10/4/2019 at 6:22 PM, naxer said:

In another article, it's a 3-8 minute walk to the area from the terminals (if you don't want the shuttle).  That's fine.

I don't care what the article says, there is no freaking way anything at World Way & Sky Way is a "3-8 minute walk" from TBIT, Terminal 4 or 5. Probably not Terminal 3 or 7 either.

• 3 weeks later...

I am going to Los Angeles in a few weeks and not happy about this decision. Does anyone know if this walk is all inside the terminal or do you have to walk outside before you reach the taxis and Uber area and are there carts to wheel your luggage all the way to that area from one terminal to the other? If yes, is there a charge for the carts?

16 hours ago, ghdool said:

I am going to Los Angeles in a few weeks and not happy about this decision. Does anyone know if this walk is all inside the terminal or do you have to walk outside before you reach the taxis and Uber area and are there carts to wheel your luggage all the way to that area from one terminal to the other? If yes, is there a charge for the carts?

Once you exit baggage claim, the walk is all outside, but there are shuttles to the lot. Hopefully by the time you arrive, LAX will have the mess fixed.

LAX used to have the "SmarteCarte" pays carts, but to be honest, since I never use them, I don't know if they are still there. I assume so and they do cost.

smartecarte-paying-luggage-carts-lax-ca-

On 10/14/2019 at 12:06 PM, DRS/NC said:

I wonder how a solo pax w/limited mobility is supposed to get herself,  luggage  & rollator/walker to the pick-up areas?

That’s my concern to?! I’m stressing now as I have mobility issues and will be being wheelchaired from the plane (pick up my mobility scooter at my Santa Monica hotel). I planned to just grab a taxi from straight outside as find it very difficult to climb into a van (shuttle). Oh dear

1 hour ago, jensue1 said:

That’s my concern to?! I’m stressing now as I have mobility issues and will be being wheelchaired from the plane (pick up my mobility scooter at my Santa Monica hotel). I planned to just grab a taxi from straight outside as find it very difficult to climb into a van (shuttle). Oh dear

Then your choice for curbside is pretty much limited to a limo.

4 hours ago, scottca075 said:

Then your choice for curbside is pretty much limited to a limo.

Oh ok I will look into that. So if we sort a limo would that pick us up out the front? What about a town car?

I was in LA on Monday and this feascio started on Sunday.  It was all over the local news that people were in line for an hour getting a ride.  LAX spokesperson "hoped" once people figured it out things would be better.  This is another reason NOT to fly into LAX.