Cabins above Lifeboats, Any Noise

tring

Lifeboats are generally tied in tight using steel ropes on rubber mounts to hold them stationary.  They do not sway or wobble about when stowed. I have never noticed any noise from them.  You will get noise from the machinery operation of launching them at tender ports.  One or more are launched at non-tender ports for training and maintenance ports from time to time. I see no reason for not booking a balcony above the lifeboats

Regards John

I would concur with John. The only likely noise is when they take them out.

They do get in the way of the downward view but not enough to bother me anyway.

I would also add the caveat to ensure that your curtains are drawn when necessary, as on occasion a member off staff can pop up on the top of boats at lower eye level with the balcony to clean etc.

• Like 2

Usually we have insides but have had the odd outside and one was an obstructed by a lifeboat. It was a great cabin but over two consecutive evenings an alarm from the lifeboat went off. It was noticeable in the cabin and stopped after about 10 mins. The second evening we called reception and by the third day it had been fixed. 

8 minutes ago, Ranchi said:

Usually we have insides but have had the odd outside and one was an obstructed by a lifeboat. It was a great cabin but over two consecutive evenings an alarm from the lifeboat went off. It was noticeable in the cabin and stopped after about 10 mins. The second evening we called reception and by the third day it had been fixed. 

Thank you for the reply - glad it could be sorted eventually.

On 10/6/2019 at 3:40 PM, tring said:

Looking at balcony cabins immediately above the lifeboats on Aurora and wondering if you get noise from the equipment that holds these in place if the ship is rocking about, or otherwise.

No noise from equipment but the one we looked down on had a paddling pool on top which sloshed about as it had been raining when we left Southampton. When the water dried we had dirt and dead beetles lying on top. It was not cleaned until well into the cruise. It was not a good view standing at the rail. 

Edited by caber
  • Like 1

The stowed position of Aurora lifeboats is more inboard, consistent with the side of the ship whereas on Britannia for example the lifeboats are stowed partly protruding wider than the position of the balcony fronts.  A good analogy would be a bit like car drivers comparing the view of their door handles to the view of their door mirrors.

Regards John

Edited by john watson
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, brian1 said:

You may be disturbed if the ship starts sinking in the night.

The alternative we were thinking of was an outside on deck 5, but the water line looks very near there, which is partly why I was put off and the windows likely to be very dirty if seas are rough as well.  I was also thinking of a 'cruise form hell' program a number of years ago when passengers in a similar cabin on either Aurora or Oriana had the window break and cabin fill with water - also could not open the door at first because of the water pressure.  Might prefer to be a bit higher up if the boat start sinking methinks.