Thinking of going to South America and Antarctica on Princess ?

scubacruiserx2

Our guide also took us to some other places that we had not planned . After leaving the cemetery we walked beside it 

DSC07917_zps8o5dmc2y.jpg

past the dog park

DSC05427_zpsiwnaqvhx.jpg

to this place for leather .

DSC05431_zpssnsd77va.jpg

It's funny because we had seen this store on a TV program called  Samantha Brown : Passport to Latin America back in 2007 . They we running the program on their TV screen inside the store which was fine for me since I'm not  the savvy shopper that my wife is . But I did notice some alligator or crocodile bags on the top shelf that reminded me of some things that my mom use to have .

DSC05429_zpsel3ziy50.jpg

While the store smelled like leather bit it looked like money to me

DSC05428%201_zps8hgpxbj7.jpg

I must admit that this jacket looked really good on my wife !

IMG_8227_zpsghxirdtb.jpg

We did buy some things for the kids , grandsons and SIL and DIL .

Just down from the cathedral is the Plaza de Mayo

IMG_8258_zps4nftse6m.jpg

IMG_8255_zpsfis1xeug.jpg

The Plaza de Mayo is a city square and main foundational site of Buenos Aires, Argentina. It was formed in 1884 after the demolition of the Recova building, unifying the city's Plaza Mayor and Plaza de Armas, by that time known as Plaza de la Victoria and Plaza 25 de Mayo respectively. Wikipedia

The Pyramid de Mayo

IMG_8256_zpskxmtxhds.jpg

The Pirámide de Mayo (Spanish pronunciation: [piˈɾamiðe ðe ˈmaʝo]; English: May Pyramid), located at the hub of the Plaza de Mayo, is the oldest national monument in the City of Buenos Aires. Its construction was ordered in 1811 by the Primera Junta to celebrate the first anniversary of the May Revolution. It is also used as a Spanish project by many middle schoolers and high schoolers who are taking Spanish classes. It was renovated in 1856, under the direction of Prilidiano Pueyrredón. In 1912, after having undergone many modifications, it was moved 63 metres (68.9 yards) to the east, with the idea that a much larger monument would eventually be constructed around it. Wikipedia

The white scarf of the Mothers of the Plazas de Mayo painted on the ground

IMG_8257_zpsmtal11l3.jpg

The Mothers of the Plaza de Mayo (Spanish: Asociación Madres de Plaza de Mayo) is an association of Argentine mothers whose children "disappeared" during the state terrorism of the military dictatorship, between 1976 and 1983. They organized while trying to learn what had happened to their children, and began to march in 1977 at the Plaza de Mayo in Buenos Aires, in front of the Casa Rosada presidential palace, in public defiance of the government's state terrorism intended to silence all opposition. Wearing white head scarves to symbolize the diapers of their lost children, the mothers marched in solidarity to protest the atrocities committed by the military regime. They held the government accountable for the human rights violations they committed during their time in power. Wikipedia

The pink Palace

IMG_8259_zps2nla32qj.jpg

IMG_8261_zpst9w2cr8j.jpg

The Casa Rosada (Spanish pronunciation: [ˈkasa roˈsaða], English: Pink House) is the executive mansion and office of the President of Argentina. The palatial mansion is known officially as Casa de Gobierno, ("House of Government" or "Government House"). Normally, the President lives at the Quinta de Olivos, the official residence of the President of Argentina, which is located in OlivosGreater Buenos Aires. The characteristic color of the Casa Rosada is baby pink, and is considered one of the most emblematic buildings in Buenos Aires. The building also houses a museum, which contains objects relating to former presidents of Argentina. It has been declared a National Historic Monument of Argentina.  Wikipedia

The entrance to the subway station

IMG_8265_zpskl9yvt3d.jpg

The cruise line gave us 2 nights in a hotel and transportation . We were the second to the last group off the ship and we took our time eating and walked around ship and our room one last time .

IMG_9800_zpsje7eiv9u.jpg

A Costa ship was also in port

DSC05544_zpsf6rjbfgx.jpg

A couple of impressive bank buildings

DSC08100_zpsu4f2s0ue.jpg

The Industrial and Commercial Bank of China

DSC08101_zpsvk3eoxa7.jpg

They called for our group at 9:30 so we took our carry on luggage of the ship and down to the bus . After arriving at the terminal we were told that our luggage was on the bus after  we cleared immigration . It was a short ride to the Sheraton Hotel . We were met by a representative told us to bring our luggage into this room .

DSC05565_zpsdvzknmtj.jpg

We we told that we may not be able to check in until 2 PM ! We were told that it is a big , busy hotel and we needed to wait for other people to check out . We were also given the paper work for the Hotel and told that we could leave our luggage there if we wanted to .

DSC05584_zpsqytky9ej.jpg

My DW spotted the twin beds and we were not too happy with that room . We decided to find out how busy they were and if upgrades were available . I stood luggage watch while my wife went to the desk . She returned shortly with our keys cards and away we went .

DSC05570_zpsnopfs1ge.jpg

It had a great view of the port

DSC05571_zps9d2rdfsm.jpg

and we could see the Zaandam in the distance , perfect for sail away !

IMG_9825_zpsctpkqw39.jpg

This was the view of the port 

DSC05579_zpsof7prumh.jpg

We also had a great view of the Torre Banco Macro through our window

DSC05567_zpsxfls1kkx.jpg

Across the street was this beautiful tower that had a name change in 1982

DSC05597_zpsrv7tstr3.jpg

DSC05596_zps6pcpfkju.jpg

From Wikipedia

Torre Monumental and before 1982 Torre de los Ingleses (Tower of the English) is a clock tower located in the barrio (district) of RetiroBuenos AiresArgentina. It is situated in the Plaza Fuerza Aérea Argentina (formerly Plaza Británica) next to the Calle San Martín and Avenida del Libertador. It was a gift from the local British community to the city in commemoration of the centennial of the May Revolution of 1810.

After the Falklands War in 1982, the tower was renamed Torre Monumental, though some still call it Torre de los Ingleses.

There is also this beautiful train station

DSC05593_zpsbinjyl2u.jpg

There is also the Monument to the fallen in Malvinas

DSC05604_zpsrrwlfweq.jpg

This giant egg sculpture was near the park . It's called Nosotros Afuera , which means We, the outsiders

DSC05615_zpss3tguu0b.jpg

It was lunch time and we were headed to an Irish Pub a few blocks away

DSC05621_zpstxcgdvj7.jpg

We had our hearts set on some fish and chips and a pint which we had missed in the Falklands

DSC05625_zpsyhhgynug.jpg

DSC05626_zpsiytybqdg.jpg

But they were not on the menu and the server was unfamiliar with them  . So I had a Chicken Cordon Blue

DSC05632_zpsrphoiisi.jpg

And DW had a St. Killian's

DSC05633_zpsw2vrl5jh.jpg

In this photo you can see our hotel , the English Tower and the port in the distance

Screenshot%202019-04-12%2007.11.03_zpspc

We had a key to the Executive Lounge with had breakfast and snacks throughout the day . The had free wine in the evenings .

Screenshot%202019-04-10%2007.03.44_zpsko

It has a great view of the park and downtown

Screenshot%202019-04-10%2007.03.25_zpskf

DSC05673_zpsod7jcpfw.jpg

DSC05670_zpsziikeh6i.jpg

DSC05672_zpsntqglkix.jpg

DSC05673_zpsod7jcpfw.jpg

We were told that the train tracks separate the downtown area from the poor area

DSC05674_zpsfkay1oui.jpg

The building was all lit up and we remembered that on a previous trip to BA we had a large power failure . It was pretty hot until the AC kicked on at 2 AM .

DSC05645_zps9mhwbido.jpg

We wanted to take some photos of the tower and the hotel from across the street

DSC05648_zpsh9huxmmv.jpg

A young man approached us and said " English not so good , not good to be in park with camera at night " . We thanked him in Spanish and heeded his warning . These were taken from the property - up close .

DSC05653_zpsmmqp80md.jpg

DSC08126_zpsuxdxt9qt.jpg

A new day dawning

IMG_8293_zpsltolb7n2.jpg

IMG_8292_zpsihs0d4fk.jpg

We were planning to go to the mall for some shopping and then have lunch but we saw some fast moving clouds that made us wait for a little .

Here's the mall that we went to Galerias Pacifico

DSC05686_zpszontlj9c.jpg

DSC05687_zpsbuflinys.jpg

DSC05689_zpswwvnb1hn.jpg

They have some interesting paintings on the ceilings and a great Christmas tree

96e7981b-a9dc-48e5-9aaf-d3aec9985277_zps

IMG_3301-001_zpsbd0f5d34.jpg

Edited by scubacruiserx2

From our eye in the sky perch we could see the green life jackets on the Promenade deck preparing the next cruise for the safety drill

IMG_8336_zpsobzbo9uu.jpg

The Costa Favolosa was out the port before the Zaandam

IMG_8341_zpsmbmrfbsp.jpg

IMG_8349_zpsvmixkpat.jpg

Away she goes

IMG_8360_zpsyzor4orr.jpg

on her next adventure in Antarctica 

IMG_8375_zpsihcl4qlz.jpg