MDR Dining Times?

JayTee1

I’m going on a cruise with another couple.

I’ve selected My Time Dining in the MDR for 8:30 PM (The earlier timeslots were not available, I guess I booked too late). I tried to add the other couple to my dinner reservation, similar to what I did with the shows, but the site told me that they didn’t have My Time Dining selected yet.

On the documents provided to the other couple by their TA it says their dinner is 5PM, but from the Royal website the MDR opens at 6PM. Could this mean that their TA signed them up for buffet dinners?

Early seating for main dining room is 5:30 pm (sometimes as early as 5:15 pm).  There are no sign ups  for the buffet.

So if you want to dine with the other couple in the MDR, they will need to switch to MTD or you will need to switch to early seating.

no there is no buffet dinner in the MDR. You have my time dinning which essentially means you can show up any time you want. Just have the other couple join you at what ever time you want dinner and they will provide a table when availability  

Their TA signed them up for early seating (the early seatings tend to be at 530 these days).  the other couple must get their TA to change them to MTD if they are to join you.   as for the time, with MTD you have the option of showing up when you want and you will be given a table as soon as one is available.

Your friends seem to have early seating. They will need to switch to My Time Dining. You can then just show up together at any time and sit together.  If you don’t have a reservation you may have a short wait to be seated. Incidentally, you can’t switch back and forth between My Time and Traditional, so it’s important that they make the change if you all want to eat together. 

Thanks for all the replies, the information has been helpful.

Why is it important that they switch to MTD? If we want to eat together can I not show up for early seating with them and ask for a table of 4 and possibly wait for a little to see one is available? And vice versa? If they wanted to eat with me at 8:30, could they not do the same without switching to MTD? 

I have another question that I'm going to just post here rather than creating a new thread.

I can't seem to book tickets for the aqua show and the comedy show. Is that because they are sold out? or those shows don't have tickets associated with them? 

4 minutes ago, JayTee1 said:

Why is it important that they switch to MTD? If we want to eat together can I not show up for early seating with them and ask for a table of 4 and possibly wait for a little to see one is available? And vice versa? If they wanted to eat with me at 8:30, could they not do the same without switching to MTD? 

when you book you are assigned either traditional dining or MTD.  You must either change your selection or keep what you have....you cannot just show up for a dining option....it doesn’t work like that on a cruise ship.

8 minutes ago, JayTee1 said:

Why is it important that they switch to MTD?

You have to stick with the dining plan you have (you can't switch back and forth) and the seating for each is in different section of the MDR.

10 minutes ago, JayTee1 said:

I can't seem to book tickets for the aqua show and the comedy show. Is that because they are sold out? or those shows don't have tickets associated with them? 

Availability of shows varies - you need to keep checking, or try to book on board.

16 minutes ago, JayTee1 said:

That's not how it works for traditional dining times. If your friends stay on the early seating, they'll be assigned a table and that's the table they have throughout the cruise. They may, and likely will, have other people assigned to their table. It's not like a traditional restaurant on land where you show up and ask for a table of 4 - your friends table (and potential dining partners) are locked in. They have to change to MTD for it to work - or you change to the early seating and ask Royal to link your reservations so you're assigned to the same table.

15 minutes ago, JayTee1 said:

I have another question that I'm going to just post here rather than creating a new thread.

Those shows definitely have tickets. I'm not sure when your cruise is but if you're seeing *no* performances for either of these, those tickets are likely not available yet. If *some* times don't show up, those times might be currently sold out, in which case I believe some number for each performance are held back for people to reserve once they're on the ship. Otherwise, if you're not seeing any performances open yet, keep an eye on your planner for the shows to become available to be booked.

3 minutes ago, garnetpalmetto said:

That's not how it works for traditional dining times. If your friends stay on the early seating, they'll be assigned a table and that's the table they have throughout the cruise. They may, and likely will, have other people assigned to their table. It's not like a traditional restaurant on land where you show up and ask for a table of 4 - your friends table (and potential dining partners) are locked in. They have to change to MTD for it to work - or you change to the early seating and ask Royal to link your reservations so you're assigned to the same table.

Those shows definitely have tickets. I'm not sure when your cruise is but if you're seeing *no* performances for either of these, those tickets are likely not available yet. If *some* times don't show up, those times might be currently sold out, in which case I believe some number for each performance are held back for people to reserve once they're on the ship. Otherwise, if you're not seeing any performances open yet, keep an eye on your planner for the shows to become available to be booked.

Thanks for your explanation regarding the different dining times and options.

I set sail on Oct 27th. I guess they're sold out because I was able to book tickets for other shows, just very late shows.

52 minutes ago, JayTee1 said:

You have to be in either traditional or MTD. You cannot switch between the two. You cannot eat with them in traditional dining. Traditional dining means their table is already assigned in the dining room - the could be seated at a table for two, or with other people; depending on what they requested on their reservation. The traditional dining room table number is printed on their Seapass card. It is the same table and table mates each evening.

if you have MTD you just either show up and wait in line, or make a reservation.  You may have the same table and waiters, or it could be totally different. 

Sounds like your friends need to switch to MTD. Or, you need to switch to traditional; but from your post I think having your friends do MTD makes more sense.  Hopefully you understand how it works now.