Dream Disappointment

3 hours ago, brian1 said:

Cheers,on E1 recently my Mrs was getting a generous free pour of vodka in the evening.I didn't see her starting any punch-ups though,lol.My point was people are being called alcoholics after 4 doubles.

My point was they were there all afternoon, in fact they always seemed to be there

8 hours ago, nancyneptune said:

Four doubles in a short space of time.....they may also have been drinking all day.  Their choice and as long as they remain merry no problem. It's when they start to get argumentative and rude to bar staff who are probably to frightened to tell them they have had enough that the problem arises. 

All speculation.If not when should be the operative word.

I should point out that I have been cruising with Thomson/Marella for over 10 years and have not noticed any increase in drunkenness in that time. I have also noticed drunkenness on P&O, actually drunken behaviour in both cases. I have a feeling that many drunks are very good at being quietely sozzled which is OK as they are not bothering any one.

Edited by davecttr
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, davecttr said:

I should point out that I have been cruising with Thomson/Marella for over 10 years and have not noticed any increase in drunkenness in that time. I have also noticed drunkenness on P&O, actually drunken behaviour in both cases. I have a feeling that many drunks are very good at being quietely sozzled. which is OK as they are not bothering any one.

This exactly.   Marella are supplying the holiday that the present customer wants and it looks like all inclusive is the way forward for them. People that complain about drunk, loutish behaviour (which I haven't witnessed yet) would find something else to crib about if the ships were alcohol free. Just let the ships security deal with the invisible drunks and enjoy your holiday.😉

Edited by Brummijam
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just back from the Dream and even though weather was a hit or a miss and the captain having cancel our visit to Monaco it was still another enjoyable cruise.. Although its been previously said,its tired but is kept clean and tidy...Now!the lifts are not great at the best of times but even worse when one set was out of order for 4 of our 7 nights( and the whole week previously apparently).

Staff in bars and restaurants were nice/ friendly,some more than others.Nice to see/meet many staff from previous cruises

Food in Lido was generally good if not a huge  variety and found the food in Orion very good.

Entertainment..Found very little issue getting seats in Medusa but think thats down to timing.Once a show finishes and evacuates theres a scramble for seats then.

Luna in the Medusa we found to be good initially but become to grait  on us as the cruise progressed.Cheesy as the quiz shows are there a few we actually enjoy

The entertainment team in the Broadway were very good but now on their last week

Guest comedian Carl Schofield whom we saw on our last cruise was good,both shows

Waters Edge,excellent bar/area but just not big enough 

Quality of drinks/spirits/cocktails was much dependant on the bar..Worst was the Medusa.Waters Edge and Tides the best.

As on all our cruises on the Dream atmosphere on board was great with most fellow guests friendly and

no sign of drunkeness/ rowdyness.Whether  thats down to where we frequent on the ship I dont know

Ports,found a number of them a fair walk from ship to town 

Thinks that about it really.

Look forward to cruising on her next year and hopefully we see some changes to her then after the refurb

18 hours ago, Jim The Scot said:

Just back from the Dream and even though weather was a hit or a miss and the captain having cancel our visit to Monaco it was still another enjoyable cruise.. Although its been previously said,its tired but is kept clean and tidy...Now!the lifts are not great at the best of times but even worse when one set was out of order for 4 of our 7 nights( and the whole week previously apparently).

Staff in bars and restaurants were nice/ friendly,some more than others.Nice to see/meet many staff from previous cruises

Food in Lido was generally good if not a huge  variety and found the food in Orion very good.

Entertainment..Found very little issue getting seats in Medusa but think thats down to timing.Once a show finishes and evacuates theres a scramble for seats then.

Luna in the Medusa we found to be good initially but become to grait  on us as the cruise progressed.Cheesy as the quiz shows are there a few we actually enjoy

The entertainment team in the Broadway were very good but now on their last week

Guest comedian Carl Schofield whom we saw on our last cruise was good,both shows

Waters Edge,excellent bar/area but just not big enough 

Quality of drinks/spirits/cocktails was much dependant on the bar..Worst was the Medusa.Waters Edge and Tides the best.

As on all our cruises on the Dream atmosphere on board was great with most fellow guests friendly and

no sign of drunkeness/ rowdyness.Whether  thats down to where we frequent on the ship I dont know

Ports,found a number of them a fair walk from ship to town 

Thinks that about it really.

Look forward to cruising on her next year and hopefully we see some changes to her then after the refurb

Hi Jim, this pretty much summed our cruise up from the 1st - 8th. 

Only difference was we had a week of sunshine with temps up and around 26c - 30c every day a sunny day.  we mainly kept ourselves to the Tides bar as found the that Medusa was a bit repetitive and over crowded. Tomas & Maris was great outlet every night. No drunkenness on board that I saw albeit I had a few each night as you do on Holiday.

Roll on next June for another trip in the Dream after the explorer in May of course.

RR

So glad to hear you've both had good cruises with no drunkenness 

We've just booked on her for her last week of sailing before the refit 25th Dec to 1st Jan going to Israel for an overnight from Limassol with stops in Antalya, Marmaris and Heraklion - won't be very hot but warmer than here we hope and looking forward to seeing the Christian churches in Jerusalem 

Sounds like the band isn't too good in Medusa but we love Tom & Maris and looking forward to seeing them before they fly home for a well earned rest

Surprised the show team are leaving  as the new team will only be doing 2 and a half months - hopefully they are good

4 hours ago, Rebel Rouser said:

Hi Jim, this pretty much summed our cruise up from the 1st - 8th. 

Only difference was we had a week of sunshine with temps up and around 26c - 30c every day a sunny day.  we mainly kept ourselves to the Tides bar as found the that Medusa was a bit repetitive and over crowded. Tomas & Maris was great outlet every night. No drunkenness on board that I saw albeit I had a few each night as you do on Holiday.

Roll on next June for another trip in the Dream after the explorer in May of course.

RR

Hi RR

Yeah we heard that the previous weeks to ours was wall to wall sunshine.Our weather wasnt overly too bad,3 out of 4 days were overcast( bit of rain) but still shorts an t- shirt in port.

Agree regards the Medusa being a bit repetitive.Its a difficult one regarding over crowded or not being able to get a seat cause if you go to the 1st show in Broadway and your not Usain Bolt when it finishes its a struggle to get a seat in the Medusa or Waters Edge.Found Tides to be particularly busy also.We were fortunate as we didnt go to many shows as had seen them on our previous cruise a few months back so had little issue getting a seat anywhere

I,ll let you know how we get on and of any changes to the Dream RR as our next trip is May next year

3 hours ago, Vitalsign said:

So glad to hear you've both had good cruises with no drunkenness 

We've just booked on her for her last week of sailing before the refit 25th Dec to 1st Jan going to Israel for an overnight from Limassol with stops in Antalya, Marmaris and Heraklion - won't be very hot but warmer than here we hope and looking forward to seeing the Christian churches in Jerusalem 

Sounds like the band isn't too good in Medusa but we love Tom & Maris and looking forward to seeing them before they fly home for a well earned rest

Surprised the show team are leaving  as the new team will only be doing 2 and a half months - hopefully they are good

Hi VS

We saw similar cruise in December at a cracking price but its just a cruise too far for us 😁

We thought the band Luna in the Medusa were good,initially.Just after listening to them a number of times over a period the began to grait on me.Think we,ve maybe been spoiled with watching/ listening to Muzic Unlimited who had a tremendous range in music/songs and a band we could listen to/watch regularly.

Dont take it as gospel that the show team are leaving.We were only told this by a fellow passenger after he came from one of the shows.He gave the impression the show team had mentioned it then.

Have a good one

Ps 

Meant to add to my mini review

Of all of our 8 or 9 cruises on The Dream and I know its not everyones bag but must say the sailaway party was the best one we have been to

Edited by Jim The Scot

We loved Muzzik Unlimited also,very talented.There contract was ending in September and know they are back home for a well earned rest and dont have a ship as yet.Be interesting to see where the end up.Remember seeing Acoustic Soul,entertaining as you say as were Top Men

We did Dream back in March.

With regards to "not being able to get a seat", the simple trick is to turn up earlier.  On D2 in September there we had to be seated 30+ mins before a show to get a decent seat.  Turning up last minute is always going to be problematic.

Same with Medusa.  Granted, its busy at peak times but either arrive earlier or accept you're going to have to share.  On several evenings in Medusa we had to get spare chairs pulled together to get seats when we arrived at a peak time, but otherwise it was fine.

Also drinking does not equal drunkeness.  If some people want to have several bacardis in a row but are otherwise minding their own business and disturbing noone else what odds?

I didnt see any rowdiness or drunkeness on either Dream or D2.  People enjoying themselves, yes.  Being drunk to the point of being a nuisance, no.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I stared to read this post “Dream Disappointment” and stopped because I was about to holiday on Dream in solo cabin 1021 which I had reserved on the recommendation of a fellow passenger from a previous cruise, the cabin I had at that time being in the stern above the engines and very “vibratory”.

Cabin 1021 was a delight, brand new, squeaky clean, shower had a glass door, had a view between the lifeboats and I didn’t have any problem with noise, being a dead end after the gym closed meant it was quiet at night. The only noise might be that of equipment? being moved around at 6 – 7 am which didn’t bother me. So a different experience.

However I do have to agree with the poster regarding facilities and suitability for solo passengers. Solos don’t really fit in at all, you do get an invitation for one coffee, lunch and dinner and not many people turn up to these events, so I suppose it’s our fault. So have to agree poor service for single passengers. Will have to try Fred Olsen. If you get a bright waiter you will be asked if you want to share a table, but you might be sat on your own. Everyone else are couples and family groups who tended to stick together and reserve seating in the lounges for their friends so it was a nightmare to find anywhere to sit, I often gave up and went off to read a book. A fellow solo passenger agreed that this “deck chair” reserving seats with nowhere to sit was unpleasant. So solos don’t really fit in.

I also agree that there is constant queuing, Lido and Sirens were horrible for queuing and crowding. However if you get to the Orion restaurant early it is nice and quiet. I also turned up in the show lounge at least 30 mins early to get a good seat and had breakfast at 7 am to avoid the queues.

However the Gym was mostly always near empty, great, and the library was well stocked.

• 1 month later...
On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 8:11 AM, davecttr said:

I should point out that I have been cruising with Thomson/Marella for over 10 years and have not noticed any increase in drunkenness in that time. I have also noticed drunkenness on P&O, actually drunken behaviour in both cases. I have a feeling that many drunks are very good at being quietely sozzled which is OK as they are not bothering any one.

Interestingly we cruised almost exclusively with TUI/Thomson's until around 2013 when we had a bit of a fallout with them because of a noisy cabin. We then moved to P&O but that has gone down hill big time with drunks and louts all over the place, especially on the larger ships, so we decided to give the Discovery 2 a go last October. Despite the AI drinks, there was certainly no evidence of anybody going too far and we were impressed enough to book two weeks on the same ship in the Caribbean in April. As you say above, quietly sozzled folks who keep themselves to themselves are no problem - in fact, I may be one of those myself!

Edited by vwgolf