Best Bus to take to St George?

LuAnn

23 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

From where, Hamilton or the Dockyard?

From the Dockyard, the ferry would be a better option.

From Hamilton, I don't think it really matters.

We will be docked at the Dockyard. Do you know how long the trip is one way? We have friend s on board who have never been to Bermuda so wondering what would be the most "scenic" route? Thanks for your help!!

I took a 10 or 11 once from hamilton to st george...it went past aquarium and airport.  We plan on taking it next week as then my husband can see some of the interior of bermuda. 

For us honestly it will be whatever bus is leaving next when we get to the bus station in hamilton. 

If you want to see swizzle inn or caves etc you might need a specific number.  I think it says 50 minutes etc but I guess that depends on traffic ...assuming that is island time 50 minutes..it gets there when it gets there. 

Google online for bus schedules it outlines all the routes and times.

13 hours ago, LuAnn said:

We will be docked at the Dockyard. Do you know how long the trip is one way? We have friend s on board who have never been to Bermuda so wondering what would be the most "scenic" route? Thanks for your help!!

The 10, 11 and 3 go through Flatts Village so I would consider them more scenic. You would take a ferry to Hamilton  which takes 30 minutes then walk to the bus station and catch a bus that takes 50 minutes. So approximately an hour and a half. At the bus station make sure you catch one that goes all the way to St. George’s as some buses don’t run the whole length.  You could also do the reverse, take the ferry to St. George’s and the bus to Hamilton then ferry back to Dockyard. Ferry to St. George’s takes 45 minutes. Since going one way still means you have to get back you need to plan that too. 

Don’t know when you are going but ferry between  St. George’s does not run on the weekend or after November 3 unless they add supplemental service for the cruise ships.  The winter ferry schedule is not available yet. Logistics could be problematic if your date in Bermuda after is November 3 or on a weekend. 

If you want to show friends Bermuda a taxi tour would be better but of course that would be more expensive. 

Edited by Charles4515

36 minutes ago, LINDAE3213 said:

If you want to see swizzle inn or caves etc you might need a specific number.  I think it says 50 minutes etc but I guess that depends on traffic ...assuming that is island time 50 minutes..it gets there when it gets there. 

The 1,3, 10 and 11 all go past the Swizzle Inn. 

You could also do all buses. Take the #7 or #8 from the Dockyard to Hamilton bus terminal. That is about an hour. Then take the 1, 3, 10, or 11 to St. George’s about 50 minutes from Hamilton bus terminal. I would say the #7, then 10 or 11 most scenic. Your only logistic will be to decide how to return.  You could do the ferry back from St. George’s to the Dockyard if it is running or do the buses in reverse and take the numbers you didn’t take to St. George’s for variety. Or take a taxi back some or part of the way. 

12 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

The 10, 11 and 3 go through Flatts Village so I would consider them more scenic. You would take a ferry to Hamilton  which takes 30 minutes then walk to the bus station and catch a bus that takes 50 minutes. So approximately an hour and a half. At the bus station make sure you catch one that goes all the way to St. George’s as some buses don’t run the whole length.  You could also do the reverse, take the ferry to St. George’s and the bus to Hamilton then ferry back to Dockyard. Ferry to St. George’s takes 45 minutes. Since going one way still means you have to get back you need to plan that too. 

Don’t know when you are going but ferry between  St. George’s does not run on the weekend or after November 3 unless they add supplemental service for the cruise ships.  The winter ferry schedule is not available yet. Logistics could be problematic if your date in Bermuda after is November 3 or on a weekend. 

If you want to show friends Bermuda a taxi tour would be better but of course that would be more expensive. 

Well wouldn't you know it?...we are there 11/4!!! which is a Monday! So I guess we should plan on the bus route unless they do put on the ferries because of the ship! Thanks!! 

• 2 years later...
On 10/14/2019 at 7:35 AM, Charles4515 said:

You could also do all buses. Take the #7 or #8 from the Dockyard to Hamilton bus terminal. That is about an hour. Then take the 1, 3, 10, or 11 to St. George’s about 50 minutes from Hamilton bus terminal. I would say the #7, then 10 or 11 most scenic. Your only logistic will be to decide how to return.  You could do the ferry back from St. George’s to the Dockyard if it is running or do the buses in reverse and take the numbers you didn’t take to St. George’s for variety. Or take a taxi back some or part of the way. 

So we're booked to cruise to bermuda next July.  Hoping things are back to the old normal.  I've read through many of the bermuda transportation topics here and have a few questions.  To get on a bus or ferry, you are better off with a token?  Can you purchase these tokens on the pier when you get off the ship (traveling on the Summit)?  Can you pay with a credit card, cash (paper), or is coin required? (Why do I see repeated reference to "exact change" or "coin required"?)  Thanks for clearing things up.

21 minutes ago, philpcruiser said:

So we're booked to cruise to bermuda next July.  Hoping things are back to the old normal.  I've read through many of the bermuda transportation topics here and have a few questions.  To get on a bus or ferry, you are better off with a token?  Can you purchase these tokens on the pier when you get off the ship (traveling on the Summit)?  Can you pay with a credit card, cash (paper), or is coin required? (Why do I see repeated reference to "exact change" or "coin required"?)  Thanks for clearing things up.

You are better off having tokens or a transportation pass. They have been available for sale at the Royal Naval Dockyard in the past, so I assume they will be available in the future.

You can't use bills (paper money) to pay bus or ferry fare although I have heard stories of drivers sometimes permitting it...but they're not supposed to. If you pay in cash it has to be exact change in coins, which is very inconvenient. You can't pay with a credit card on the buses or ferries.

• 1 month later...
On 2/6/2022 at 8:39 AM, trivia addict said:

It is very easy to purchase a transportation pass at the Dockyards. There is a booth situated close to the ship. With a family of 3 this would be the most expedient way for you to travel the ferries and buses.

My experience there is that it's cash only when buying passes.  And the second booth has shorter lines than the first.

10 hours ago, philpcruiser said:

You'd think that a cc would be the preferred payment method, so no contact with 'germ infected cash' would be necessary.  😷

Yeah, but it's not exactly a high tech set-up at the dockyard at least.  A couple of concrete block shacks.  The cost for international credit card transactions may be more than they want to eat on a $20 or $30 pass.  It was cash only when I went in 2014, 2018, and 2019.  People went back on board to get cash.

2 hours ago, billslowsky said:

Yeah, but it's not exactly a high tech set-up at the dockyard at least.  A couple of concrete block shacks.  The cost for international credit card transactions may be more than they want to eat on a $20 or $30 pass.  It was cash only when I went in 2014, 2018, and 2019.  People went back on board to get cash.

Pretty sure they  took credit cards in 2019. But that does not mean they will this year.  It has been on and off. There were other years they took them and then stopped. They also charged about 3% to use them. They are planning to change the bus and ferry system to digital fares. They have been planning that for years so will believe it when I see it. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/12/2019 at 5:41 PM, LuAnn said:

It looks like there are numerous bus routes to St George ..Routes 1,3,10 and 11. I'm wondering if any one is more scenic than the other one? Thanks for any help!!! LuAnn

Could take over 2 hrs by bus with 2 or 3 changes . Take the ferry 1 way .

15 minutes ago, Giantfan13 said:

When you say cash only, is this US dollars?

Cheers

Len

US currency is on par with Bermuda currency and is accepted everywhere. However the buses do not accept bills . You have to use coins...or better you can buy tokens or bus passes that cover one or multiple days.

• Like 1