1st cruise TA vs NCL

JjC81

We are booking our first cruise, and it is a big one- alaska! We have never cruised before.

I've been on phone with NCL and other cruise lines. Someone recommended a local travel consultant. I spoke with them.and they did a few quotes for us and answered a lot of questions. 

I was ready to book and spoke to a personal consultant with NCL and they cautioned against using a TA. They said that by using an agent if we had any questions NCL wouldnt be able to help us. The TA said that not true. It's just reservation they cant change. 

So what do we do? I'm clueless on cruise. I've also never used a travel agent. We do have questions about cruise, esp re dining due to multi allergies in group. 

Both have same perks and travel agent is $200 cheaper than NCL. 

So do we book with TA (free) or do we book with NCL? TA has been helpful so I feel bad but I dont understand what is meant by NCL cant help us since we used an agent. 

Help please 🙂

Book with your TA if they have been so helpful. If you have any queries he/she will help.

If you phone NCL direct after booking with your TA they will just direct you to the TA.

Your TA is your intermediary.

• Like 1

Will NCL still help with dining (we have tons of allergies)? And also with excursions?

TA said that there will be an account and help line so it still goes through NCL? 

the TA is not specialized in cruises. Just books with NCL a bit.

Find a good travel agent like a certified NCL agent they will guide you through the process they can handle assisting you with all your needs with a good TA you should get better deal than with NCL like ( cheaper or better room for same price or extra perks like covering gratuity)

• Like 1

If you use a TA make sure they don’t have any charges for cancellation or changes to your cruise. Most don’t, but some do. So ask ahead. We use an on line TA from the travel dept of a big box discount membership store. You can find their travel dept on line. Everything is done over the phone. They do a lot of cruise business for all cruise lines and we have been very satisfied. They usually either give us extra on board credit to use or a gift card to use at their stores worth  a couple of hundred dollars. Their prices are the same as the cruise lines. Also check if your deposit is refundable. More and more cruiselines are starting to have non refundable deposits. The TA will explain the refund timeline schedule. Also highly recommend trip insurance which the TA can explain to you too. Tell them it is your first cruise so they go over everything a bit more slowly for you.

Mary Ann

Edited by UFMOM

3 hours ago, JjC81 said:

We are booking our first cruise, and it is a big one- alaska! We have never cruised before.

I've been on phone with NCL and other cruise lines. Someone recommended a local travel consultant. I spoke with them.and they did a few quotes for us and answered a lot of questions. 

I was ready to book and spoke to a personal consultant with NCL and they cautioned against using a TA. They said that by using an agent if we had any questions NCL wouldnt be able to help us. The TA said that not true. It's just reservation they cant change. 

So what do we do? I'm clueless on cruise. I've also never used a travel agent. We do have questions about cruise, esp re dining due to multi allergies in group. 

Both have same perks and travel agent is $200 cheaper than NCL. 

So do we book with TA (free) or do we book with NCL? TA has been helpful so I feel bad but I dont understand what is meant by NCL cant help us since we used an agent. 

Help please 🙂

Book with your travel agent (so long as there are no fees or cancellation fees not coming directly from NCL). Most people book dining and show themselves online exactly 120 days prior to departure. Your TA can help you, but it must be exactly 120 days out.

Make sure your cruise goes to Glacier Bay. Spend a few extra $$ on a balcony room. Enjoy. 

to give you an idea on what happens on a non-Glacier Bay cruise, skim through my live posts from Alaska for the past two years. 

Edited by BirdTravels

I was in the service industry for over 30 years and was strictly a referral business, no big ads.

When looking for a travel agent, get one recommended to you from a friend or relative.

I would never book through the cruise line.

I have had 17 cruises and any question or problem I have ever had was quickly resolved by my travel agent. Why would you want to waste a ton of your time on hold looking for answers when you have a travel agent who will do that for you?

Good luck, and I hope you get a good one.

P.S. I had seen a post some years ago by someone who was given incorrect information by their cruise consultant; and when they called NCL they were told that the consultant they had no longer worked there and that they would do nothing to remedy their situation.

9 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Book with your travel agent (so long as there are no fees or cancellation fees not coming directly from NCL). Most people book dining and show themselves online exactly 120 days prior to departure. Your TA can help you, but it must be exactly 120 days out.

Make sure your cruise goes to Glacier Bay. Spend a few extra $$ on a balcony room. Enjoy. 

to give you an idea on what happens on a non-Glacier Bay cruise, skim through my live posts from Alaska for the past two years. 

It looks like it does? It says glacier bay. So I assume that means we cruise it? Is there something I need to clarify or verify? 

Screenshot_20191015-062635_Drive.jpg

Guess main thing is in regards to dining. My kids have multi food allergies. If we book with TA I still need to talk to people  at NCL regarding my kids food. 

Will this be possible? Or will it be locked? 

I believe if you book thru an agent, they will need to take care of any major changes to your booking, such as price reductions, but you can contact NCL directly regarding excursion, dining and other onboard questions.  My agent got me a better deal when a new offer showed up on the website, but I have contacted NCL directly to make a change to one of my dining reservations when I mistakenly booked the wrong night.

Definitely go with the TA if you are getting a better deal.  I have been dealing with a PCC (Personal Cruise Consultant) from NCL, and as much as he keeps saying that I shouldn't book through a TA, I have always gotten better service and better response from a TA.  Unfortunately, the TA I used to use is no longer around 😞

I'll find a new TA for our next cruise.  I get a better deal that way, and it seems that I get better service that way as well.  In the past I was even able to get an upgrade through my TA when the price dropped.  The only thing is, the TA has to be the one to contact NCL about any cabin changes, upgrades, etc.  Everything else - you can still contact NCL directly - excursions, food issues, reservations, etc.  

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

but it must be exactly 120 days out.

No, it doesn't HAVE to be exactly 120 days out.  Yes, bookings do open 120 days out.  Yes, bookings for popular specialty restaurants fill up quickly.  However, I've read on here that only about 20% of total reservations for restaurants are available online, the rest are opened up for booking on embarkation day.

I booked my upcoming cruise with just over 60 days to go, I was able to get tables in specialty restaurants for 2 of my 3 SDP credits and will get the 3rd on board.  The theater shows were fairly open.

The way the quoted post is worded makes it sound like if you don't make reservations on the day you're 120 days to the cruise then you can't make them at all.  That's simply not true..

Regarding the food allergies let your TA know and also when on board talk to the Maitre d at each restaurant. Every cruise I have been on they have been fantastic with organising the correct food.

An Alaskan cruise is awesome - enjoy

If you decide to use a TA, let him/her know about the allergies.  Your boarding documents should reflect any allergies.  Also, email the NCL special needs department directly to let them know.  Once on board, speak to the Maitre D’.  She/he will work with you to accommodate your needs.  You might find dining at the MDR better for allergies.  I do.

I have celiac sprue so when I travel I always contact the ship directly (even though I use a TA).  NCL is hit and miss on how they handle food allergies.  You still need to be pretty vigilant.

Good luck and happy planning!