Princess vs ncl hubbard?

JjC81

We are choosing between NCL and Princess cruise and land.

Questions.

1) it looks like princess ends in whittier and ncl in seward. What is missed in that gap? Does princess cruise hubbard? Are there fjords in seward? There is price difference between cruises.  I read princess may be more interactive with kids on ship. I cant tell the differences in land portion except no aleyska for princess. Not sure what else? Seems all of princess bulk of time is in denali. 

2). Ncl seems very confident with food allergies and accommodating. Our TA said princess gave this response "When I asked about the allergies.. she said they will accommodate to the best of their ability.  She gave me an email address and said we would need to send a list of allergies so they had it in writing.  She said we would need to do that ASAP once booked" allergies include: dairy, soy, wheat, oats, corn, fruit (1 kid), peanuts, chicken & turkey (1 kid). For myself: gluten. Cruise is 7 days, kids have to eat lol.

2 hours ago, JjC81 said:

1) it looks like princess ends in whittier and ncl in seward. What is missed in that gap? Does princess cruise hubbard? Are there fjords in seward?

May I politely suggest that you check the individual cruise itineraries for the cruises you are considering?  Such information may help you select a cruise.  As to fjords in Seward, you will be arriving so early in the morning at Seward that sightseeing is very unlikely.  Kenai Fjords NP is near Seward and cruise tours sail from Seward to visit that NP.  (I do recommend such a tour.)

Princess has much more experience with Alaska cruise and land vacations than does NCL.  They have Princess specific infrastructure, hotels, tour buses, rail cars, and Princess employed guides and narrators on those tours.  I don't know what a similar situation would be with NCL.  

I don't have any food allergies and have not sailed with anyone that I know that did, so I can't be of much help with your legitimate concern about that.  I am sure that informing whichever cruise line with which you book of your food allergy concerns, the MDR/Galley staff will do their best to accommodate your needs.  Once aboard whatever ship, one of your first priorities is to find the Maitre d' (or his/her Assistant who will be available at certain time periods during embarkation) and confirm your requirements with that person. 

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

May I politely suggest that you check the individual cruise itineraries for the cruises you are considering?  Such information may help you select a cruise.  As to fjords in Seward, you will be arriving so early in the morning at Seward that sightseeing is very unlikely.  Kenai Fjords NP is near Seward and cruise tours sail from Seward to visit that NP.  (I do recommend such a tour.)

Princess has much more experience with Alaska cruise and land vacations than does NCL.  They have Princess specific infrastructure, hotels, tour buses, rail cars, and Princess employed guides and narrators on those tours.  I don't know what a similar situation would be with NCL.  

I don't have any food allergies and have not sailed with anyone that I know that did, so I can't be of much help with your legitimate concern about that.  I am sure that informing whichever cruise line with which you book of your food allergy concerns, the MDR/Galley staff will do their best to accommodate your needs.  Once aboard whatever ship, one of your first priorities is to find the Maitre d' (or his/her Assistant who will be available at certain time periods during embarkation) and confirm your requirements with that person. 

Thank you. We have reviewed itineraries in depth of both. Ncl does stuff princess doesnt and vice versa. 

Just not sure on boat/land which is better. And the allergy piece.

Itineraries we like stuff from each 🙂

we are leaning towards staying couple extra days on our own and doing some stuff. The kenai fjords being one if we do princess. 

I have sailed both Princess and NCL with celiac sprue (and both to Alaska).   I prefer Princess over NCL regarding food allergies.  Both lines do accommodate food allergies well, but it just easier for me on Princess.  Princess timed seated dining means that you see the same wait people every day.  My waiter and the Maitre D’  this past cruise worked with me the entire cruise to make sure all of my meals were gluten free, not just at the MDR. On NCL last year, there was a person who handled all of the special diets on the ship.  He was great but we had to wait numerous times to meet with him and we were limited to where we could eat.  Not so much at Princess—having sailed both lines within the past year, the food quality and variety was better on Princess.

That being said, you will find that both cruises will do a great job at accommodating your needs. 

Seems most of the main lines would accept dietary requests so that shouldn’t be an issue any more than it already is.  Princess does have north bound trips that sail Hubbard as well as College Fjord although the preference is usually Glacier Bay.  Hubbard can be hit or miss with the ships many times not making it very close due to ice or fog. Princess also has naturalists onboard that can greatly enhance the trip.

As for the land portion, you’ll see some rave about their cruise sponsored land trips but most of the folks who do multiple Alaska trips will advise to just plan your own land trip. Alaska is easy to navigate, there’s only so many roads. I also wonder if it would be easier to meet your dietary restrictions by doing it yourself and opening the door to more options than what may be provided by the cruise line.

4 minutes ago, JjC81 said:

We have reviewed itineraries in depth of both. Ncl does stuff princess doesnt and vice versa. 

And, that is the dilemma in deciding on a cruise itinerary.

For whatever my opinion is worth, I find Hubbard Glacier a magnificent experience.  College Fjord?  It's been too many years since I visited that site to offer my opinion.  Glacier Bay is always of interest with the advantage of having the National Park Service Rangers aboard your ship to provide commentary and answer questions.

4 minutes ago, JjC81 said:

we are leaning towards staying couple extra days on our own and doing some stuff. The kenai fjords being one if we do princess. 

Not inexpensive, but renting a car and doing what you want to do is a good idea.

My July 2019 Alaska cruise was my first when I rented a car so that I could go where I wanted and when I wanted during the 10 days that I was there.  The prime purpose for this trip was to visit my Alaskan residing Nephew and his family.  I have been fortunate to visit Alaska several times, but this July's trip was the best.  Memorable in many ways and those memories equal the Christmas Morning temperature of a minus 25 degrees with wind chill of ? when I visited my Nephew!  I wore a quality parka with layers underneath and I was still COLD!

11 hours ago, Glaciers said:

Seems most of the main lines would accept dietary requests so that shouldn’t be an issue any more than it already is.  Princess does have north bound trips that sail Hubbard as well as College Fjord although the preference is usually Glacier Bay.  Hubbard can be hit or miss with the ships many times not making it very close due to ice or fog. Princess also has naturalists onboard that can greatly enhance the trip.

In the past, Princess NB does Glacier Bay and College Fiords and SB does Glacier Bay and Hubbard.

------

For OP:

Glacier Bay seems to be a guarantee while Hubbard can be hit or miss depending on conditions.

Princess does a great job with onboard enrichment series and also has a Naturalist on all of their ships. I agree it does enhance the trip. I have not heard that NCL has this - please correct me if I am wrong.

Princess (and probably most lines) are very good about food allergies.

Princess owns most of their lodges (not in Anchorage) and NCL doesn't.

I think it would be best for OP to check out some Alaska cruise books - Alaska by Cruiseship by Anne Vipond is a good book that will allow you to learn about the different ports.

Edited by Coral

2 hours ago, Glaciers said:

Unless I'm reading this incorrectly, this appears to show a Princess NB with a Hubbard stop

You are not reading this itinerary incorrectly.  The cruise is on Pacific Princess which is their smallest ship.  I wonder if that has anything to do with a NB Hubbard visit.

6 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

You are not reading this itinerary incorrectly.  The cruise is on Pacific Princess which is their smallest ship.  I wonder if that has anything to do with a NB Hubbard visit.

Possibly although the Grand stops there on the SB trips. We were there last May on the Golden although it was SB as well.

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

Maybe? Ours is the grand. It's also cruise and land?, not sure if that makes difference 

Screenshot_20191016-182601_Chrome.jpg

Edited by JjC81

1 hour ago, JjC81 said:

Maybe? Ours is the grand. It's also cruise and land?, not sure if that makes difference 

Screenshot_20191016-182601_Chrome.jpg

I'd believe your specific published itinerary regardless of the ship.  Contact whomever with whom you made your booking to get confirmation of the specific ports/sites to be visited.  Your cruise documents, when they are issued, will also show your specific itinerary.  

53 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I'd believe your specific published itinerary regardless of the ship.  Contact whomever with whom you made your booking to get confirmation of the specific ports/sites to be visited.  Your cruise documents, when they are issued, will also show your specific itinerary.  

Would it say hubbard? 

Screenshot_20191016-204934_Drive.jpg

2 minutes ago, JjC81 said:

Would it say hubbard? 

Screenshot_20191016-204934_Drive.jpg

You are not visiting Hubbard Glacier based on this printed itinerary.

The advantage of going to Glacier Bay is that there ought to be National Park Service Rangers aboard to offer commentary during your time in Glacier Bay.  A program in the ship's main showroom probably will be presented.  They will be available for personal interactions with them.  

Many cruisers have reported over the years that as the ship enters the waters of Glacier Bay from Icy Point Strait (or even upon departure from Glacier Bay)--very early morning hours during the entrance to Glacier Bay--lots of whales, etc. are observed.  Sailing out of Glacier Bay on Coral Princess in August, I did see a pod of Orcas feeding, I think they were doing, quite some time after the NP Rangers had left the ship and the ship's naturalist had signed off for the day.

Your itinerary is a good one.  All of your ports, without Hubbard Glacier, will provide you with an excellent Alaskan experience, I think.

'

5 minutes ago, Glaciers said:

Yes, it would say Hubbard. The Grand does not stop there on NB trips.

Is this the itinerary for the Grand?  The dates seem to conflict with what’s on the Princess site and shows the ship going south, not north on those dates.

https://www.princess.com/cruise-search/details?voyageCode=A026

No I messed up. My papers say royal princess. I must have looked at ship on different itinerary when exploring ports online🤦‍♀️

Sorry about that! 

8 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

You are not visiting Hubbard Glacier based on this printed itinerary.

The advantage of going to Glacier Bay is that there ought to be National Park Service Rangers aboard to offer commentary during your time in Glacier Bay.  A program in the ship's main showroom probably will be presented.  They will be available for personal interactions with them.  

Many cruisers have reported over the years that as the ship enters the waters of Glacier Bay from Icy Point Strait (or even upon departure from Glacier Bay)--very early morning hours during the entrance to Glacier Bay--lots of whales, etc. are observed.  Sailing out of Glacier Bay on Coral Princess in August, I did see a pod of Orcas feeding, I think they were doing, quite some time after the NP Rangers had left the ship and the ship's naturalist had signed off for the day.

Your itinerary is a good one.  All of your ports, without Hubbard Glacier, will provide you with an excellent Alaskan experience, I think.

'

I keep seeing icy point strait mentioned as great for whale watching. But I dont see it on.itinerary for whale watch? I might have missed it. This is all new and I did get ship weong

Icy Point Strait, as I understand the geography, is the body of water that ships transverse when they sail from ports such as Skagway and the entrance to Glacier Bay NP.  There is a port that some cruises visit call that is named as Icy Point Strait.  (An interesting port in of itself, in my opinion.)

What I have learned that, for whatever reason, the closer the ship gets to the entrance to Glacier Bay, the more active wildlife sightings are made.

Your ship ought to have a Naturalist presenter aboard and I'd suggest that you directly ask her/him as to when it ought to be out on deck to try to see whatever activity there may be.

You came here for advice and apparently booked a cruise within 24 hours of your post which does not go to two of the areas you’re interested in. Not sure why you selected this trip.

Possibly due to the land portion?  You’ll see some good posts regarding the Princess land tours but when it comes down to it you’re a prisoner of their lodging which is remote and limiting for activities. I’ve stayed at all of them in Alaska but had a car.

If ISP/Hoonah & Hubbard are important you might try Royal Caribbean who has NB itineraries that do both, as well as land tours. And, I’ve had much better luck in Juneau than ISP for whale watch tours.  If it makes a difference there is more to do after arriving in Seward than there is in Whittier.

Edited by Glaciers

21 minutes ago, Glaciers said:

You came here for advice and apparently booked a cruise within 24 hours of your post which does not go to two of the areas you’re interested in. Not sure why you selected this trip.

Possibly due to the land portion?  You’ll see some good posts regarding the Princess land tours but when it comes down to it you’re a prisoner of their lodging which is remote and limiting for activities. I’ve stayed at all of them in Alaska but had a car.

If ISP/Hoonah & Hubbard are important you might try Royal Caribbean who has NB itineraries that do both, as well as land tours. And, I’ve had much better luck in Juneau than ISP for whale watch tours.  If it makes a difference there is more to do after arriving in Seward than there is in Whittier.

I have not booked the trip yet. Our TA has it held. And after reading things on these boards we asked her to look into south bound. I have been searching, reading, and asking tons of questions to learn in order to pick the right one 🙂

royal caribbean did not meet what we wanted for land. We started with looking at disney and noticed it did not go where we wanted. Then we were thinking royal Caribbean vs NCL.  We then leaned towards NCL, held a trip. Then on these boards I saw a lot of praise for princess so started to look into it. 

this is first time cruise, so it is all very new. I saw the itinerary and thought it was the same main ports. I did not notice hubbard was missing. As soon as I did I began asking about it 🙂

same with icy point strait. I had not seen it until on these boards and so I asked about it. 

we wanted a land portion because it was important for my husband. He drives for a living and wanted to do part of the trip at someone else's mercy. Both of us dont love tours, but for him it was worth it to not drive. To make up for it we said we would stay few extra days and explore some areas on our own. When that seemed to be getting busy we asked TA to price out trip in reverse.  We were told by multi people to cruise north since scenery gets better. After lots of reading and trying to plan our days by ourselves, it seemed SB might be good cuz we see scenery and then have nothing but to relax at the end 🙂

but for now nothing is booked. It's just held for us while we decide. I have paid attention to what everyone here has said and it is affecting our decisions. So I am very appreciative cuz our main concern was keeping our kids , who have numerous allergies, fed and safe and of course to see alaska, and be able to pay for it 🙂

Edited by JjC81
  • Like 2