Swim with the pigs

spotter27

You can't swim with THE pigs on any cruise unless it's an overnight at Nassau and a private tour.  It's nowhere near any cruise port.  If you are just looking for a petting zoo to fake the experience, this is pretty much at the cruise ship private islands in The Bahamas only.

2 minutes ago, MJSailors said:

Just curious -why do you want to swim with pigs ?

The real experience is actually pretty fun, surprisingly, and the tours include about a dozen other experiences throughout a long day in the Exumas. I wasn't looking forward to the pigs but it ended up being much more fun than I anticipated.  Best day trip I've ever done, by far.  Highly recommend.

Edited by BNBR
  • Like 2

Swim with the Pigs is one of the official NCL excursions offered on Great Stirrup Cay.  

Pam and I did it last year and had a great time.

We saw it was still being offered as an excursion when we were there last week.

IMG_5964.jpeg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Motegi said:

Swim with the Pigs is one of the official NCL excursions offered on Great Stirrup Cay.  

IMG_5964.jpeg

That's not a pork rind on that stick, is it???   🤣

• Haha 2

On 10/16/2019 at 1:10 AM, Motegi said:

IMG_5964.jpeg

A petting zoo.

3 minutes ago, Motegi said:

I suppose you could call it that.  But the pigs are swimming.  

The humans could swim if they wanted to but the water is just about waist deep.  

It's all fenced in. A fake version of the swimming pigs. I guess it's fine if you just really want to feed pigs.

1 minute ago, Motegi said:

The other option would be to take a trip to Exuma...

Right. That's kind of the only option. It's like taking a picture at the Paris hotel in Vegas and saying you went to Paris France.

• Like 1

On 10/16/2019 at 1:10 AM, Motegi said:

The “real” swimming pigs are in an isolated island in the Exumas that’s not easily accessible except by a rather long boat ride. But other pigs have been brought to more accesible locales to give interested (and usually unaware) tourists a

copycat experience.

Needless to say, these are not the real pigs that roam freely at the original location. Places like Sandy Toes (in Rose Island and easily accessible from Nassau) offer a “swim with pigs” experience, but sadly these are pigs that are contained with chains in a section of the beach. Pretty sad in my opinion, but a lot of people book this type of experience not realizing that this is completely fake, or maybe they know and they don’t care. They just want the photo op.

13 minutes ago, Tapi said:

The “real” swimming pigs are in an isolated island in the Exumas that’s not easily accessible except by a rather long boat ride. But other pigs have been brought to more accesible locales to give interested (and usually unaware) tourists a

copycat experience.

I am aware of that.  That is what I mentioned a couple comments above.  

But the original poster was asking where they might be able to do it as a cruise excursion and as far as I know there is not an excursion to the Exumas on NCL.

And other commenters seemed to say that there was no other option so I wanted to mention that NCL does provide that opportunity on GSC.  

20 minutes ago, BNBR said:

Right. That's kind of the only option. It's like taking a picture at the Paris hotel in Vegas and saying you went to Paris France.

LOL.  Been there.  Both places.  And lets not forget the Epcot Center in Orlando as well...IMG_9491.thumb.jpg.df53e9f39cf32c6da22f1bc1cccef32f.jpg

I am cruising in Feb and was hoping to see the pigs on this trip as well I didn't realize Exuma is 82 miles from Nassau. I did see that GSC offers it but I wanted the real experience as well plus there was notes that you are not allowed to have your phone, camera, go pro. Sure I can buy a $20 photo but with 4 us that would be pricey. I may have to do it anyway since I was so looking forward to it. And book a separate non cruise to experience Exuma.