Zuiderdam deck 10

fefe

We’re looking at a Panama Canal Cruise in March and had a couple of questions.

Has anyone had a cabin on deck 10 and is it noisy being near the Crowsnest?

Any tips or advice on the Panama Canal sailing? 
Thanks for any advice or information! 

The Crows Nest is pretty tame and there are buffer areas between where the Deck 10 cabins start and the higher traffic areas of Crows Nest.  Buffers include the Future Cruise office (starboard) and an open gathering room (port). The bar area is on the port side and forward and it is quiet.

Edited by PoolSlider

We had 10021 (farthest from the Crows Nest and on the other side from beverage service), but I can say for sure that the hallway(s) form a sound-buffer from the CN for all of those rooms. Now, where we were, we would hear the occasional slamming of the door that goes to the outside deck there, so you might want to be *closer* to the Crows Nest, in fact!

• Like 1

I have been in the first cabin outside the Crows Nest, on a different ship.  There was no noise.

I agree with other posters.  Make sure you are out and about all over the ship. And be prepared for rain.  Has rained all 3 times we have done the canal.  

Enjoy your cruise.

In 2010, we did a partial transit.  The front portion of the ship was open, beginning at 5 a.m., although we got in line at 3 a.m.  We were the third and fourth passengers in the line.  Thirty minutes later the line was all the way down the corridor.  Because the line was so long, they opened the deck early, at 4.  We started into the canal about 5:45 or so.  By the time we started into the canal, the deck was packed with people.  Literally jammed.  We were so glad we made the effort to line up early, as we had an amazing spot, center front.  

We took the excursion to the Embera Tribe, not sure if this excursion is still available or not.  If it is, it's well worth the money because it's similar to stepping into a National Geographic issue.  The only passengers allowed off the ship are those who've purchased excursions through the ship.  We reconnected with the ship in Colon.

Yes, Panama Buns are served on the morning of the transit.  Be sure to sample one, since you won't see them again.  The canal is most interesting.  I highly recommend reading Path Between the Seas before you go.  It's a fascinating book about the struggle, both by the French and Americans, to build the canal.  You will appreciate the experience so much more having this knowledge.  

Wishing you a wonderful voyage.

I was about 1/2 way between the Crow's Nest and the entrance in from the deck area overlooking pool.  Balcony on the starboard side.   I found it to be very quiet - most everyone going to the Crow's Nest used the elevator and I only saw those that actually "lived" on our side of the ship.

Don't just observe the transit from your balcony.  Move around the ship - go to the promenade deck and watch your view go from cement walls to a view in a matter of a few minutes and watch the "mules" close up.  Go to the aft (we went to the aft Lido pool area) and watch the gates close behind the ship.   And, if you have time, watch the movies/documentaries that are available on the TV beforehand.  Understanding the history and making of the canal made me appreciate the experience even more.

Enjoy your coffee and Panama buns.....yuuuuummmmmmmmy.

An interesting point we got from the narrator on our Panama Canal cruise is that the "Mules" are electric locomotives that keep the ship centered in the locks so they don't scrape the sides.  The "mules" actually do not pull the ship through the locks, the ship uses it's own propulsion, under the control of the Panama Canal Pilot.