Jan 2020 - Seven Mile Beach Options (Calico Jacks still around?)

epermar

We will be in Georgetown in late January 2020 for a port day.  I just saw a couple articles online from August 2018 that mentioned Calico Jacks was going to relocate to West Bay.  Does anyone know if Calico Jacks is still at it's original Seven Mile Beach location or if it did in fact move?  What about Royal Palms?  We are looking for a casual beach day with some drinks and a snack and were considering Calico Jacks.  Thanks in advance!

• 2 months later...
On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 8:25 AM, epermar said:

We will be in Georgetown in late January 2020 for a port day.  I just saw a couple articles online from August 2018 that mentioned Calico Jacks was going to relocate to West Bay.  Does anyone know if Calico Jacks is still at it's original Seven Mile Beach location or if it did in fact move?  What about Royal Palms?  We are looking for a casual beach day with some drinks and a snack and were considering Calico Jacks.  Thanks in advance!

I was at Calico Jacks in October 2019.  Same place as always on 7 mile beach.  The government is putting in a huge parking lot between the road and the beach at the Calico Jacks drop off point.  Our taxi driver tried talking us into the Royal Palms (I think he gets a kick back from what he was saying) and bad mouthing the parking lot, but honestly the fresh pavement was easier to walk across for 100 yards to get to Calico Jacks than when we had to walk across a deserted lot/field in  years past.

chairs at Calico Jacks were $5 and an umbrella was $10.  Taxi for 2 each way was $8 or about $3pp each way if you wait for the bus.  So $16 for a taxi round trip or $12 for the bus round trip.  So we took the taxi and didn't wait.  The beach bar has taxis waiting in the small parking access immediately behind it for your return trip without having to trek out and find a bus.

If you want to start the party even before you get to the beach, pick up a 6-pack of white tip lager in cans at the duty free liquor shop at the port.  $13.  What a steal after shipboard pricing for drinks.

23 hours ago, StCroixCruiser said:

If you want to start the party even before you get to the beach, pick up a 6-pack of white tip lager in cans at the duty free liquor shop at the port.  $13.  What a steal after shipboard pricing for drinks.

My husband loves  the idea of the duty-free six pack! Can you take outside alcohol onto the beach should we head down to Calico Jacks?

7 minutes ago, paceyswife said:

My husband loves  the idea of the duty-free six pack! Can you take outside alcohol onto the beach should we head down to Calico Jacks?

Yes, I do it all the time.  I rent a chair from them and sometimes an umbrella.  If I want more drinks or snacks, I buy them at Calico Jacks.  Then I feel good about using their restroom if I need to.  I'll be there twice in January on back to back cruises.

Usually there are far more chairs available at Calico Jack's (and another hustling vendor on the adjacent beach area) than there are people looking to hang out there.  Some snorkel boats drop off people for 30 minutes to an hour as part of their excursion, but they leave quickly.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, StCroixCruiser said:

Yes, I do it all the time.  I rent a chair from them and sometimes an umbrella.  If I want more drinks or snacks, I buy them at Calico Jacks.  Then I feel good about using their restroom if I need to.  I'll be there twice in January on back to back cruises.

Usually there are far more chairs available at Calico Jack's (and another hustling vendor on the adjacent beach area) than there are people looking to hang out there.  Some snorkel boats drop off people for 30 minutes to an hour as part of their excursion, but they leave quickly.

Thanks!!! We will definitely be renting chairs and umbrellas and likely buying snacks for the kiddos.  We are last ship in (four our day in February ) but from what I’ve read, we should still be good with beach crowds. We were there a few years back but only have a vague memory of what beach we did. And as much as we likely needed a drink, I think we abstained there! 

On 12/28/2019 at 7:20 PM, StCroixCruiser said:

I was at Calico Jacks in October 2019.  Same place as always on 7 mile beach.  The government is putting in a huge parking lot between the road and the beach at the Calico Jacks drop off point.  Our taxi driver tried talking us into the Royal Palms (I think he gets a kick back from what he was saying) and bad mouthing the parking lot, but honestly the fresh pavement was easier to walk across for 100 yards to get to Calico Jacks than when we had to walk across a deserted lot/field in  years past.

chairs at Calico Jacks were $5 and an umbrella was $10.  Taxi for 2 each way was $8 or about $3pp each way if you wait for the bus.  So $16 for a taxi round trip or $12 for the bus round trip.  So we took the taxi and didn't wait.  The beach bar has taxis waiting in the small parking access immediately behind it for your return trip without having to trek out and find a bus.

Thanks for info, will be there in 2 weeks.

On 12/29/2019 at 8:18 PM, StCroixCruiser said:

Thank you!  This is the info we were looking for...will be there on April.

Calico Jacks is still in it's original location - there's talk of a move but nobody knows when - it may be just a bit up the beach to the north, though.  Public Beach is exactly that - public - you can bring your own food and drink there.  Royal Palms is a private beach club, however, and they do not allow outside food or drink to be brought in.

I went to Coral Beach when I was there this past October - the location is new, and could still use some work, but there were beach chairs and umbrellas, showers, washrooms, and a restaurant.  I may have got unlucky with the food, though, because I wasn't that impressed.

5 minutes ago, TravellingBritNY said:

Calico Jacks is still in it's original location - there's talk of a move but nobody knows when - it may be just a bit up the beach to the north, though.  Public Beach is exactly that - public - you can bring your own food and drink there.  Royal Palms is a private beach club, however, and they do not allow outside food or drink to be brought in.

I went to Coral Beach when I was there this past October - the location is new, and could still use some work, but there were beach chairs and umbrellas, showers, washrooms, and a restaurant.  I may have got unlucky with the food, though, because I wasn't that impressed.

Thanks for the report.  There are 6 ships in port the day we are there so we may just stay on the ship or go to Calico Jacks.  We were at Royal Palms 2 years ago and it was way too pricey.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, petuniaflower said:

If you take a cab/shuttle to CJ, how do you get back to the ship?  Cabs waiting in the area/someone has to call?  Thx

Usually taxis will be waiting in the parking lot there on cruise days.  If not, someone from CJ will happily call for one for you, I’m sure.

• Like 1

Thanks for the tips. We will be there in March and likely taxi to Public beach with our own 6 pack (great idea). Is the taxi $4 per person one way? Is it a private taxi or a van that drops off along the way? Are we talking USD or Cayman?

Thanks,

Tony